side effects | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-20-2003, 03:43 PM
side effects

Ok sisters, I know I should be gathering as much info as possible before surgery but just went back to a site I'd seen before and freaked out at the negativity of it all. They listed the horrible side effects of a hyster and made it sound like your life as you know it will be gone forever. They listed personality change, loss of energy, irritability, profound fatigue, loss of sexual desire, unable to return to previous home activity,etc. etc. etc. They had surveyed over 600 women in a wide age range. They made it sound like some metamorphosis into a totally different person. Not sure my dh wants to live with some other person. lol

I'm not going into this wearing rose colored glasses but do you think this is really as bad as they make it sound? Did they survey all the negative women they could find? Everyone here is so supportive and I realize no one can predict your outcome but good grief, it's enough to make you want to run away.

I know some sisters have a rough time but not everyone changes in to a different person, do they? Although some I know will say they're different because they feel so much better. There's not a lot of solutions for prolapse, only worsening with time. But I feel this is the solution for my problem.

Just gets a little scary out there in the web sometimes.
Maybe I'm getting nervous as my date is two weeks away...don't know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2003, 03:55 PM
side effects

Sparklies,

Yes, some gals have a rough time, but most do very well. I've seen some of those "doom and gloom" sites, and have chosen to avoid them. The only thing worse than no information is slanted information. Some of those other sites seem to be full of folks who never have anything positive to say about anyone or anything. I avoid people like that.

I stick with Hystersisters because everyone tells it like it is, with caring, humor, and in a spirit of helping others get through a rather trying time in life. That's the positive type of information I want to have going into my TAH, because it helps me prepare well and will result in a better recovery. That's my goal, and I'm focused on it!!!
Unread 12-20-2003, 04:54 PM
Sparklies

Just to address your concerns. Yes you will have personality changes, fatigue, loss of energy, loss of sexual desire. Remember it is major surgery. And your body needs time to heal. You will begin to feel better and all your desires and energy will increase daily. I had some problems after the hyst, but they were related to the prolapses and waiting too long to have surgery. I was a big chicken. Wish I had done it years sooner.

My personility has changed, and I have gotten my energy back. And my sexual desire has even increased. You don't have to worry about the prolapse and have no pain during sex. My desire before was so low because of the pain the prolapses caused during intercourse. Now Dh and I are enjoying our life much more now.

So remember to stay away from all the negitive sites and keep posting and reading on Hyster Sisters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2003, 05:34 PM
side effects

(((Sparklies)))

I had the same experiences as you when I first started doing research to prepare for surgery. Except for HysterSisters, all the websites I found were very negative. Bookstores were no help either. I did read the bad with the good, however, and tried to put it all into context with my particular situation. I think the turning point for me was when I came to be 100% certain that I was making the right decision and 100% confident in my GYN. The more I read (even the negative stuff) the more I realized that I had received excellent care and advice from my DR and that it was indeed time to have the surgery. I think the women who end up unhappy don't fully understand why they are having the surgery and what recovery will entail. I blame that largely on their DRs, because it is their responsibility to communicate the benefits, risks and realistic expectations of any medical procedure.

At 5 months post-op, I have more energy and feel better than ever. My sex drive has increased and so has my satisfaction (if ya know what I mean ) I kept my ovaries, so yes, I still have PMS. Do I ever get irritable? Well, yes, but then again so does everyone else I know. Has my personality changed? Probably, but only because I feel like a brand new woman. And yes, it is major surgery, and like any life-changing event, it is bound to have an effect on you.
Unread 12-20-2003, 06:01 PM
side effects

I went to your profile and noticed that you will be keeping your ovaries. My doctor has explained to me that when you keep your ovaries, sometimes they go into a dormant state for a couple months while your body adjusts. He says that I will have some moodiness but eventually I will be back to myself.

And yes, this is the best website I have been to. Some of the others you can only go to during certain hours because that is the only time there is a hostess there! And mostly there is only negativity there. Here this feels like just a bunch of normal women! And guess what? That's exactly what we are!
Unread 12-20-2003, 06:30 PM
side effects

Hi Sparklies,

I had to be real careful while sifting through information prior to my surgery not to focus on the negative effects that some ladies experience. I went into surgery 9 days ago with positive feelings of finally bringing relief to my body. I am happy to say that except for a little " cabin fever" I am feeling great. A little tired, a little sore, but feeling stronger each day. Even dh said to me, " you look happier and relaxed". I feel a burden has been lifted.... and uhmmm about sexual feelings.... my libido feels high... gotta wait though...( smile)
Best of luck to you,

Lisa

SAH 12/11/03 (fibroids and adenomyosis)l
Unread 12-21-2003, 01:59 AM
side effects

I want to support what all the other sisters have said here. I went to those sites, too, and their strong and angry bias concerns me a great deal. I understand using anger for moving forward and healing, but that is not what I saw there.

This site is full of real women willing to share their real experiences. It seems we all want to help each other be the best we can be.

In all action or inaction there will be change: The question is, Is it constructive or destructive?
Unread 12-21-2003, 03:23 AM
side effects

Hi Sparlies,
You've had some wonderful replies from other women here --- and really, that's what this site is about - women sharing their OWN experiences and stories.

Unfortunately there are some unhappy endings. Things can go wrong during surgery. Sometimes surgery does not mean the end to all the problems.

the best you can do is research research research - get a second even a third opinion. understand exactly WHY you are having the surgery - make sure you've worked through any options that might help avoid surgery.... so that *if* something should go wrong (and I pray that it doesn't)... but *if* something happens, you can say to yourself that you did your very best, and this surgery had to happen.

Since (unfortunately) hysterectomy is one of the most commonly performed operations, it is to a certain degree "routine" for doctors, - they know how to do it... and many many many women come out of surgery feeling better than before.

But with any surgery there are risks, and you have to know in your mind that you are prepared to deal with them.

I personally am doing very well since my surgery, and I wish the same for you... but NO ONE can say "you WILL feel xyz" - because each and every one of us is different.

This site tries to be neither pro nor anti hyst, but to be a realistic forum where women can get support, information and comfort.
Personally, I think it is fantastic!

Best wishes,
Unread 12-21-2003, 04:41 AM
Re: side effects

Quote:
Originally posted by Sparklies
They listed the horrible side effects of a hyster and made it sound like your life as you know it will be gone forever. They listed personality change, loss of energy, irritability, profound fatigue, loss of sexual desire, unable to return to previous home activity,etc. etc. etc. I know some sisters have a rough time but not everyone changes in to a different person, do they? Although some I know will say they're different because they feel so much better. There's not a lot of solutions for prolapse, only worsening with time. But I feel this is the solution for my problem.
About those side effects: most of them can be applied to any surgery during the recovery period.

Profound fatigue, loss of energy, irritability: yup, when you have any surgery the body requires a lot of energy to heal, which equals fatigue and loss of energy. The more major the surgery the more healing that has to take place so the more fatigue and loss of energy. And I know when I'm tired I'm cranky.

Unable to return to previous home activities: again, after any surgery there is a period of restricted mobility, etc. Would a person who has had knee replacement surgery (for example) be expected to go home and get right back to their pre surgery activities?

Loss of sexual desire: after any surgery while you are recovering would sex be at the top of anyone's list of things to do? (rather should it be a recommended activity?) And when the area that was operated on is the part of the body that is necessary for sex, well heck, that's a no brainer. Go back to the knee replacement example: would that person be expected to mountain climb for a few weeks?

And you're right, some women do have continuing problems of various degrees. Sometimes it's the HRT and not being able to find the "right" type or combination. There are nerves that can be damaged, sometimes more serious things happen like damage to the bladder.
  Quote:
They had surveyed over 600 women in a wide age range
600 out of how many hundreds of thousands who have had hysts? And where did they get those 600? And if you think about it, the women who had problems or feel bitter about having surgery for whatever reason are going to be the ones who would be more likely to answer a survey of this type.

Unfortunately no one can guarantee that you won't fall into that category of women who do have complications from a hysterectomy. It does happen, which is why a second or third opinion is always recommended so you are sure you are choosing a hyst as the last, best option for your particular case.

Best wishes for a successful surgery and recovery!
Unread 12-21-2003, 05:46 AM
side effects

HI

Yes absolutely, all these negatives exist in any surgery not just hysterectomy. Also I believe an important factor is how you happen to have this surgery. I mean if you feel that you have little control over what is happening to you, the fear factor increases and you are more likely to fix on any pain and inconvenience and forget the outcome.

Trying to obtain as much information as possible and concentrating on getting yourself as good (physically and mentally) as possible for the operation should help .

Of course there are inconveniences and pains, and unfortunately for some it is sometimes very inconvenient and painful, but with the help of this site and our medical people, it should not be an ordeal. It certainly is not for me.

Best wishes for all of you preparing for surgery. Keep positive.
Nicole

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register