Thank You | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-21-2003, 12:37 PM
Thank You

I am just so overwheelmed by all the replies, since I just posted today, and with it being so close to Christmas and all. I truly appreciate all the kind words and wisdom each and everyone of you has offered. I've been sitting around crying and trying to plan for my mother. If it was just me, I would say, fine it's God's plan for me, but I have to think of her. I am going to write a long list of questions to take to the gyn/onocologist.If anyone has any ideas of types of questions or anything else to suggest,I appreciate it. I feel like I have made some new friends. , for that I am glad I posted.
One other question: It seems I am most likely going to have to have this d/c. Can anyone tell me how they felt afterwards? I've read they can do it with a local instead of a general, since I need to drive myself to and from the appointment.
Thank you again to each and every one of you, and God Bless and know you are in my prayers.
Debbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-21-2003, 04:13 PM
Thank You

Dear Debbie,

You are very welcome.

I was wondering if you were going to ask about the d&c's. As I mentioned, I've had 3 of them. Each time was different. I had general anesthesia for all of them, so I hope that someone else can tell you what it's like w/o it.

Even with local anesthesia, as far as I know, they are not going to let you drive home, but you can ask about it. I wanted to do that too. The last hospital where I had it done wouldnt even let me take a taxi. I always had to have someone sign me out.. and the hospital people stayed with me and made sure I didnt escape..lol (laughing out loud). It really can be a dilemma. One thing I thought of doing was to call a Cancer Volunteer Organization that would drive me back. I managed to get friends to drive, but it almost caused me trouble when the d&c was later than expected and my driving buddy had to get to work. If I couldnt get a ride they were going to admit me, and I probably would have had to pay vs. insurance.

OK people, the next paragraph is graphic...

Back to the 3 d&c's.. Well, let me start out by saying that one of them was a breeze. I walked out feeling really happy-go-lucky. Another time, I had considerable cramps and nausea afterwards, but after the nausea, I was fine. The nausea is due to the general anesthesia, and at subsequent d&c's I was given anti-nausea medicine that corrected that. The last time, like the time I had cramps, I felt like I really wanted to (dare i say it) pee badly after I awoke. If a local anesthesia was given, I guess I wouldnt have had to struggle w/the nurses to let me get up to use the bathroom. I found that leaning forward made using the facilities easier. I think that feeling stemmed from the dilation. It's not fun, but it wasn't too bad.

Questions for the oncologist..well like lindy-lou Mags mentioned it would be very wise to let all your medical people know about your thyroid/diabetic condition and to ask how that might affect things/medicines. I think most of your questions will stem from your results from the d&c.. you could ask how quickly you will get the results.

Pat
Unread 12-22-2003, 08:58 AM
D&C

I had a D&C 14 years ago. It was under general anesthesia. I felt quite nauseous after (due to anesthesia), but that was it -- no pain. I got home late in the day. Went to bed immediately and slept well through the night. I was perfectly fine the next day. But like Pat said, I'm virtually certain you will not be allowed to drive home. You won't even be allowed to go home by yourself in a cab. You must have a friend with you whether s/he's driving or not.

Mary D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2003, 05:59 PM
Thank You

I had a D&C in Oct at which my cancer was discovered. I did not have general anesthesia, but had sedation. I was not awake, but it was not general anesthesia. I woke up rather quickly and was okay to leave the hospital within about 1 1/2 hours. But even with sedation, I was not able to drive. And I ws warned not to make any important decisions for at least 24 hours since the drugs will give you a "brain fog" and your ability to think clearly is affected. That is the reason you can't drive or be completely alone following the procedure.

The procedure is not difficult if you don't have a reaction to the anesthesia. But you do need to get someone to help you get to and from the hospital.
Unread 12-23-2003, 11:58 AM
Thank You

I only had one D&C, a week before surgery (the D&C prompted the surgery because it showed probable endo cancer). I was under general anaesthesia. No side effects later, I really felt fine.

Every DR is different, and mine tends to be somewhat conservative about post-op procedures, so he wouldn't discharge me until mid-afternoon (my D&C was around 9:30 AM , I think) and wouldn't let me eat any solid food. Other DRS are more lenient, so some of these things will depend on your doctor.

I remember feeling a little moody the next day, which I think is normal.

All the best to you. I know how scary it all is, but remember that all of this is a positive step for your health. Christmas peace!

Blessings.
Marlene
Unread 12-23-2003, 12:52 PM
Thank You

I had a hysteroscopy instead of a d&c. Had a general anaesthetic too which I was glad of because they found a huge polyp and cut it out. Before being allowed home I had to eat, drink and wee.

My son who works at the hospital came to collect me and we were going to get a taxi but I felt so well that we walked home... a half hour walk. It was a doddle.

Ann
Unread 12-23-2003, 02:06 PM
3 d&c s and one hysterscopy

Hi there, I had 3 d&cs back in the 80's for PID/ removal of IUD and check for ectopic with lap. I came home same day for all of them and recovered well with minimal pain but nausea from the meds. I had a hysterscopy before my hyst and again, was able to come home same day, not too sore, just tired and nauseous.

Biggest problem I had is that I have low bp and nurses in recovery kept panicking every time my lower reading dropped below 45 and triggered the alarm. I make sure my admissions have this fact recorded now.

Other consideration for you of course will be your blood sugar won't be right if you have not eaten before the procedure so make sure this is sorted out for you before your surgery.

I'm sorry I have no experience with spinals as I was put off these by spinal taps for meningitis, but I think I was just unlucky to cop a trainee doctor, my follow up one was okay but it put me off them for good. Even my deliveries for two children afterwards including a 10 lb boy didn't change my mind!

Be honest with the nurses, you have every reason to feel nervous for surgery whether it's your first or twenty-first, it's putting your body in another person's control and I don't think that comes naturally! Not sharing how you feel will only make you feel pressured and scared. Put yourself to the top of your person priority list - you deserve it! Linda
Unread 12-23-2003, 02:54 PM
Thank You

I have had two D&Cs. Both under general Anstephsia After both of them I was hungry. Starving in fact. The first one I felt great afterward, felt I could tackle the world. The second one they gave me something to stop the bleeding. I cramped up like abig knot, but afterward felt ok, just alittle weak. I would do it again. That is where the path report found precancer cells. Then after the hyst, we found there were not only precancer cells, but cancer cells making them selves at home. Sorry, boys gotta go.
The hardest part is the waiting. Surgery was easier on me than my DH. Now, I am having a six week vacation and loving it. I sleep when I want, I eat when I want, play on the comptuer when I want, watch the movies I want. Except for the surgery, hospital stay and money outlay I am having a grand time. Thought I would be going stir crazy, but I guess after 15 years at Wal-Mart, I just needed some down time.
Take care of your self, and remember we are here for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register