Strange Feeling....... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Strange Feeling....... Strange Feeling.......

Unread 12-23-2003, 12:43 AM
Strange Feeling.......

i'm 5 month post op from TVH/A&P repair...got a question about an odd sensation/feeling when i cough/sneeze--it feels as if everything flies out of my vagina whenever I sneeze or cough..like things are being held on by a bungee cord or something and whenever i sneeze/cough, things feel as if they want to take a flying leap......i've been seen by my GYN 2 times, since being released from surgery, for other things and he says everything is fine--things are still in place....i've also had an outpatient hydrodistension and bladder biopsy done since surgery by a urologist..and am now under the care of a different urologist for a 2nd opinion regarding another situation..so i would think that if things aren't where theyre supposed to be that one of these 3 dr's would have noticed, dont ya think?...so my question to you all is, what could this be?..weak vaginal muscles due to surgery (though i do kegels everyday,,plus have to help out the bladder when going potty with kegels)?..a prolapse that has been missed by my surgeon AND 2 urologists (though this 2nd urologist didnt do anything but take a history and do a cath to measure my bladder capacity--though i would think he could tell just from experience if things werent in the correct position)?..could it still just be healing from the surgery?..or should i just get used to having to hold things in place while sneezing/coughing since having this surgery?....any and all suggestions/comments/experiences, etc are most welcomed!.......thanks!.............diana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-23-2003, 09:39 AM
Bumping this up for replies...

Bumping this up in hopes that someone will have some info and/or experiences to share.
Unread 12-23-2003, 11:35 AM
Strange Feeling.......

thanks..i figured someone would have responded by now....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-23-2003, 04:18 PM
Strange Feeling.......

Hi ((Diane)),
I'm sorry your having to deal with this and no one seems to have any answers for you We have many women here dealing with various Bladder troubles who range from many months to many years Post-Op :-(
I am 4 yrs Post-TAH & was dx'd with a Vaginal Vault Prolapse about 6 or so months ago. Mine is thot to be caused by the loss of support caused by my surgeries. It has caused my bladder & rectum to drop down as well. I have experienced several UTI's over the past 18 months. I have a great deal of pressure in that area, suffer from stress incontinence <when I have to go, I have to go I leak Urine upon coughing, sneezing & laughing> a difficulty in having BM's, I have a noticiable bulging in my vagina upon any form of straining. I 1st mentioned my symptoms at one of my many trips to the ER. The pain from the multiple UTI's would hit me like a ton of bricks...I can seriously say it was worse than any 3 of my vaginal births and/or the Labor ...My last trip I was told to follow up with my PCP concerning the possible prolapse symptoms. I had never mentioned it before...I was scared to death of even the remote possibility of undergoing any surgical repair...I knew mine was reaching this point so I would tell myself that there was nothing they could do about it anyway...silly, I know..lol...well, when I finally did mention it my fears were validated but I am yet to go forward w/any treatment besides, like you some Kegals.
There is another somewhat common condition that several gals here have been dx'd with after their Hyst or for some who have had another form of Pelvic or Adominal surgery....it is Interstitial Cystisis or IC for short. You can do a search of the various forums using one of the conditions you think you might be dealing with or by searching on the symptoms using one of those as the keyword. Here are some links & info that might be of some help in providing some further insight as to what could be going on:

Interstitial cystitis

IC is one of the most common bladder conditions associated with CPP

Interstitial cystitis help

Interstitial cystitis support group, lots of excellent info

Quote:
Interstitial Cystitis (IC) is a chronic inflammation of the bladder wall. 'Common' cystitis is a urinary tract infection caused by bacteria and is usually treated with antibiotics. Unlike common cystitis, IC is not believed to be caused by bacteria, and does not respond to conventional antibiotic therapy. It is important to note, however, that IC is not a psychosomatic disorder, nor is it caused by stress.
It can take a very long time to get a correct diagnosis. There tends to be a lack of awareness of IC in the medical profession (and the general public). The ICSG is trying to address this problem through the distribution of education information and literature.
Bladder diseases also remain to be 'socially unacceptable' conditions which are not often discussed in public. Some sufferers may feel isolated because of this.
It is important to note that the disease affects individuals in very different ways. There is no set of universal symptoms for IC. But the effect of IC on an individual's life cannot be understated. The disease is often debilitating and may cause the patient to experience feelings of helplessness and despair. Nevertheless, hope is possible due to the progress that has already been made in alerting the scientific world to the seriousness of the condition.
IC is one of the most common bladder conditions associated with Chronic Pelvic Pain
  Quote:
Here is a Bladder diary that might help provide important information to your doctor which will help diagnose your condition. It is important that you are as accurate as possible with your diary. This will help you work with your doctor to determine the best therapy or combination of therapies that is right for you.
Print out the diary and carry it with you, recording your activities throughout the day. You should record how much you drink, how often you go to the bathroom, how much urine you release each time, how many accidents you experienced and what activities proceeded or were interrupted because of your accident.
Printable Bladder Diary
Bladder Spasms?

Bladder issues after surgery

What women need to know about problems only women have
Possible Causes of Urinary Incontinence:

Dropped Bladder: Here's Help for Women Dealing with the Problem

Incontinence, TVT~several excellent websites

Basic Tests for Women Who Leak Urine

I'm sorry for soo many links but I was just kinda pulling threads that might possibly be relevant to your own situation. Good Luck in finding a DX! Pls keep us posted & let us know how you are doing
(((hugs)))
Unread 12-24-2003, 05:21 AM
Strange Feeling.......

Hi ((((Diane))) I'm so sorry you're having so many issues to deal with at this stage of your recovery (((Sheri))) has provided lots of valuable information on Prolapse, but wanted to add just a few things.

I had a rectocele repaired at the same time as my hyst, 3 years ago. For months, I feared that my prolapse had returned or the surgery hadn't worked at all, since I would either have these "everything is falling out" feelings when I sneezed or coughed or would feel an all too familiar bulge at the entrance of my vagina. Like you, I returned to my OB/GYN, sure he would say that it was a return of the prolapse. However, like your doctor, he would reply that all was fine after examining me. And, 3 years later, I've again had confirmation that, despite having issues with urinary incontinence, the repairs are holding firm

In my case, the bulging and "falling out" sensations were caused by a mixture of two things: some of it was due to continued healing and swelling of fragile tissues. Some of it was due to my pelvic floor muscles being extremely weak, due to being stretched beyond normal while giving birth to two very large babies. The problems with the fibroids, rectocele and the ensuing TVH didn't help matters any. However, you may not be dealing with this last possibility, as you mention doing Kegles religiously: I couldn't and still have problems, because of the weakened and stretched muscles.

You might want to mention these possibilities to your doctor and see what he/she thinks. Sending lots of healing s your way and hoping that you feel better soon.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register