HELP...Back and Leg pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

HELP...Back and Leg pain HELP...Back and Leg pain

Unread 12-26-2003, 01:13 PM
HELP...Back and Leg pain

Hello Sisters,

I have been going through many of the posts looking for some kind of relief or better yet an answer that could help me with what I am experiencing. The closest I came was with Mariecoo's aching legs post.

My last day of treatment (rad) was 11/17/03. I went through two rounds of chemo and 30 days of radiation. Five of those treatments were internal radiation, three of those five were done under general anesthesia. The third round of chemo they decided no to do because I had received the maximum amount of radiation a human can get (I was told).

It has been over four weeks now and the problems I am having are increasing. They are pain (24-7) in my low back, abdominal pelvic area and the tops of my legs. Also I am getting sharp shooting pains on my left side (tumor area). The pain is constant, and increases up to moderate/severe at times. It is deep and feels (my description) like bone pain. I find I am always adjusting myself when I sit because I cannot sit in one spot for too long. And when my bowels have to empty it increases the pain 10 fold. The worse thing is that I have learned to tolerate this pain and sometimes do not realize that my family is watching me and they are the ones who are telling me to take pain medication. (I HATE TAKING PILLS!)

I went to my onco and he just looked at me and said that he has no idea why I am in pain. (My cancer is one of those rare ones where there is not alot of info on it.) So he is scheduling me for an MRI, hopefully that will tell us something. I really like my doc because he is so honest with me and does not try to blow smoke...you know where.

Mariecoo, I do understand about the leg pain, mine too goes into my legs and it makes it very difficult to walk sometimes. My family tells me that I look like I have a bat up my behind. Sometimes that's how it feels. Sleeping is becoming difficult as well. I started using a heating pad on my back and that helps for a short time, but I get hot flashes so bad I have to turn it off. Hot baths usually help but I can't sit or lay on my bum area because it aches and hurts.

I guess what I want to know is if anybody has dealt with this, what can I do to help the pain? Is there anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-26-2003, 02:47 PM
I'm sorry to read this

I have another cancer and no radiation, so I can't help, but I do want to send you a big and hope you get some relief soon!
Unread 12-27-2003, 11:26 AM
Thank you

Thanks for replying.......and also if you know of anyone in our website who has had similar problems could you let me know. I need some help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2004, 10:10 AM
Back and Hip Pain

Hi Forgen,

I also had vaginal cancer. I had 25 external doses and 3 HD internal doses of radiation. I finished treatment in June 2003. I have been experiencing back and hip pain. It does not, however, go down my legs.

On my first 3 month check up, I mentioned the back pain to my Gyn/Onc. He said it is probably radiation damage. To be safe he ordered a bone scan. There was hot spot that could have been bone mets. Luckily a bone biopsy came back clear. Chances are good that it is inflammation from the radiation. I will know more next month after my next 3 month check up.

It is my understanding that radiation can also damage muscles and bones. My hips are also very stiff. I have trouble crossing my legs to even put socks on.

I don't know it this is your problem. Did the MRI show anything? I would love to hear from you. For months I have gone through this without talking to a single person with vaginal cancer. I just found Hyster Sisters this last week.

Take Care,
Sharon

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register