Length of Hospital Stay? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Length of Hospital Stay? Length of Hospital Stay?

Unread 12-27-2003, 07:39 AM
Length of Hospital Stay?

Let me start by saying that I am ever so grateful that I found this site. This is my first post on this site. From reading some of the posts on this site, it looks as if most of you are scheduled to stay in the hospital for at least several days. My doctor told me that I would most likely stay in the hospital for one overnight before going home. I will have a LAVH. I will call my doctor first thing Monday morning to verify this again, but one overnight seems a little short. I would appreciate any reply to this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2003, 07:56 AM
Length of Hospital Stay?

Hello- do others care to share their length of stay? I will have TAH/BSO (unless I change my mind about the ovaries at the last minute) with a vertical incision, along with wide excision of a vulvar lesion. The doctor told me a 2-3 day stay. The nurse and office person said 3-4 days. Dangling at the bedside the first day, cath for 2 days. I haven't had to stay overnight in a hospital since I had my tonsils out as a toddler. Add to that, I am a nurse and know what goes on there!!! Just curious how long I might really be stuck. I know I won't feel too well and I will need the care, I just know that the longer I stay the more that can happen!
Unread 12-27-2003, 08:03 AM
Length of Hospital Stay?

Hi Heidi,

Welcome to Hystersisters, I'm happy that you found us. This is a great place to get hyst support and info.

The lenght of the hospital stay is usually determined by your dr and the type of hyst planned. I had a tah/bso and was pre approved for a 2 day stay. When I had a reaction to morphine , I ended up staying an extra day. I've read from many here who have had a one day stay only. I think that if you're concerned, a call to your dr might be good. I think that it helps us when we feel confident and as reassured as possible.

Here is a link to some pre op articles that you might find useful:
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsl...s=&forumid=170

Best wishes.

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2003, 08:45 AM
Length of Hospital Stay?

I had a TAH-BSO on 12/11/2003 and went home the next day. I could have stayed another day if I had any complications or if I wanted to, but I decided against it. I knew that I'd heal/feel better at home in my own bed listening to the kids and just having DH pamper me. I also was told that my surgery was going to be an hour and a half and it was only an hour long (and that was taking out the cervix even though we had agreed not to). I think because the doctor didn't have to do as much poking and prodding, I was feeling better faster.

Linda
Unread 12-27-2003, 08:56 AM
Length of Hospital Stay?

I had a TAH/BSO on Nov. 17 and was scheduled to stay in the castle for at least two days. The day after surgery I was doing so well the DR. asked me if I'd sleep better in my own bed and I went home that night. I think total time there was probably only about 32 hours or so.
Unread 12-27-2003, 09:28 AM
Length of Hospital Stay?

The stay usually depends on your doctor's recommendation.
My insurance approved a 2 day stay, but my doctor said I should plan on 3 days.
I had a TAH/BSO on a Tuesday afternoon and went home Friday afternoon. Even though I felt "okay" on Thursday, I didn't want to push it so I stayed until Friday. By Friday - I felt a lot better and was ready to go home.
Unread 12-27-2003, 09:57 AM
Length of Hospital Stay?

Dear Heidi,

One night seems rather short to me too. But with a LAVH they do not keep you as long as they do for a TAH. I would call back to verify.

In November I had a TAH/BSO and was in the hospital for five nights. They would have let me go home two days earlier, but I did not feel ready only after three days. I told my doctor that I was feeling like I was being pushed out too early and he told me not too worry and take the five days.

Mind you, I’m not old nor was I in poor physical condition prior to the surgery. I just stood firm in making sure I would not be leaving on their terms too soon. I felt it was extremely important to be walking well, eating normal food, having bowel movements, and over the severe pain before being discharged to go home.

Unfortunately, this may not be an option for some. The doctor did explain that the driving factor is what the insurance will pay for. If the insurance will not approve it, the doctor must give a good medical reason to keep you hospitalized.

Luckily my insurance did not give me any problems and approved the entire stay.

Best wishes for a happy, healthy, and blessed New Year.

Lynn
Unread 12-27-2003, 10:57 AM
Length of Hospital Stay?

One night for a LAVH sounds like it might be right, (barring any complications). My roomie in the castle had a TVH and was gone in 24 hours.

I had a TAH/BSO on a Thursday, (11:00 a.m.) and was discharged on Saturday, (48 hours later). On Friday morning, the catheter was removed, the I.V. was disconnected, and I was converted to oral pain meds. They also got me up and walking that day. The doc's order was to walk at least 4 times that day.

When the doc came to check on me Saturday morning, I had proven that I could pass gas, walk, keep food down, etc. He said I could go home either that day or the next - my choice. I opted to leave that day as I knew I'd be more comfortable at home.
Unread 12-27-2003, 12:07 PM
Length of Hospital Stay?

From my readings on this site, it seems that the stay in hospital is much shorter in the USA than in the UK.

I went to hospital on 3rd Dec. afternoon for a TAH/BSO on 4th and I left hospital on Tuesday 9th afternoon.

Whatever the length of your stay, make sure that you do not leave until you are ready to.

Nicole
Unread 12-27-2003, 01:03 PM
Length of Hospital Stay?

I had a TAH/BSO on 12-15-03. I went home the evening of 12-17-03. Mostly because I could not sleep. I was in a room with one confused elderly lady who screamed all night and a elderly deaf women who spoke very loudly to the nurses and on the phone. I finally said to my nurse "what do I do to get out of here?" I had to void 300 cc of urine and I was on my way home! Much better rest at home. I don't think hospitals are a place of rest!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register