Experiences with Cisplatin? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Experiences with Cisplatin? Experiences with Cisplatin?

Unread 12-28-2003, 02:25 PM
Experiences with Cisplatin?

Me, again. I sometimes feel like I make TOO much use of this message board, but I get such great answers!!

For those of you who have had cisplatin.....I keep reading about side effects of "motor skills". And the books never mention if they are temporary, or permanent. What are they talking about? You see, my business is painting. Although Hubby supports us, thank goodness, I dearly love what I do. And hobbies are sewing, quilting, etc...

Can anyone give me some "good news" on this?
I also will be getting two other drugs at the same time, doxorubicin(adriamycin) and taxol.

Thanks once again, you all are a lifeline to me,
nancy j
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2003, 02:44 PM
From My Nursing 2002 Drug Book

I've had carboplatin 20 times but not cisplatin. I looked it up in my nursing drug book:

The main side effects to watch for, affecting more than 10% are: peripheral neuritis (numbness and tingling in nerves of legs mostly--some hans), tinnitis (ringing in ears), hearing loss, otoxoticity, nausea, vomiting beginning 1-4 hours after dose and lasting 24 hours, prolonged renal toxicity with repeated courses of therapy, myelosuppression, leukopenia, thrombocytopenia (your red cells, platelets and white cells will drop badly. Side effects people get less than 20% are vestibular toxicity, optic neuritis, papilledema, blurred vision, and other changes in blood and urine tests. They run cisplatin slowly through you. Cisplatin will not cause hair loss, but both adriamycin and taxol will definitely cause that. They weigh the side effects of these drugs very carefully against the need to fight the cancer and monitor you carefully. If it helps any, after my allergic reaction to carboplatin, the DR. discussed, and I concurred with, knowing the risks, that we might have to go to cisplatin.
Unread 12-28-2003, 02:59 PM

Margaret, are you undergoing chemo treatments now?

I am so sorry that you have had a problem with one of the drugs. Can they adjust dosages on these chemo drugs according to what reactions a person has, I wonder?

nancy j
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2003, 04:51 PM
To Nancy

They may be talking about neuropathy. It's common with cisplatin. I got it toward the end of treatment and it got worse a couple of months after treatment. It feels like your hands and feet are going to sleep, tingling and numbness. It is temporary but nerves take a long time to heal. I've read that it can be as long as a year to 18 months. My doctor told me to take vitamins, B2, B6, and B12, 50 mg a day of each to speed nerve healing. It's helped a lot. I finished treatment the end of June and still have a bit of neuropathy in my feet if I walk a lot but I can live with it. My hands are nearly 100% healed. You won't have any trouble painting, or doing anything else but you may notice the tingling. It woke me up back in June and July, it felt like I had slept on my hands and they had fallen asleep. That was a bad as it got and that didn't last long.

Hugs,
Janie
Unread 12-28-2003, 04:57 PM
Nancy

Yep, on carboplatin again for recurrence since late August 2002. Some doctors will continue treatment once the allergic reaction has stopped, some will never give the drug again, and mine had me wait a week and try again with a steroid the night before and again the morning of chemo and a fast-acting steroid just before chemo along with Benadryl and Pepcid. They keep the same dosage--and for some people will inject slower while with me it's still the half hour. Odd there is no protocol! I know a woman who's had two reactions to carbo and they keep her on it. In my case, I started to itch really bad and turned bright red--and I mean bright red. That was all--blood pressure stayed OK and I kept telling them I was breathing just fine. No big deal really.
Unread 12-28-2003, 05:34 PM

Hi Nancy,

I had carboplatim and taxol and I guess that I was one of the lucky ones. I never had any of the symptoms that Ellen mentioned although I know that they are real symptoms and do happen to many.

Each time I went to see my oncologist she would run off this list of do you have this that or the other thing. My responses were always no. I am sure that that tingling could be annoying.

My only complaints were that day 2 and 3, after my treatments, my bones hurt and then after finishing treatment, sometimes at night, my fingers would get a little stiff but that seems to have gone away.

I learned long ago that everyone tolerates things differently and reacts differently. Hopefully you will be one of the lucky ones also.

Keep in touch.

Rosalie
Unread 12-28-2003, 05:52 PM

Hi Nancy,

I had high dose cisplatin/ taxol and ifosfamide last year, and have no lasting side effects at all,. During the treatments I experienced bone pain, which i belive is from the taxol, but never had any neuropathy.
Unread 12-28-2003, 06:53 PM

Thank you all so much for the info. I feel much better about the unlikehood of lasting handicaps. I realize everyone is different in how they react to each drug, but it sure helps to know that others have taken the drug and managed to go on with life

Hope you all have a wonderful week!

nancy j
Unread 12-29-2003, 08:19 PM
to tsalagi

I am so glad you posted the question I just went for my radiation simulation today and made appointments for my Chemo they told me it was Cisplatin so I have been reading my head off about it. My brother in law has been on it for some time and experienced some kidney problems and the reason was simple "he didn't follow the doctors order" drink, drink and then drink some more you must keep hydrated the day of and two days following your treatments or you could have kidney problems. They say 8 twelve ounce glasses of liquid so they don't limit you to anything specific like water, alot of people can't drink alot of water, I drink water all day long. When are you starting your treatments my first is next week radiation Monday and first chemo Thursday I am nervous but all the hystersisters that I have spoken to have used the term "doable" so I am approaching this with a positive gotta do it attitude.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register