Scared...I'm a big baby | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared...I'm a big baby Scared...I'm a big baby

Unread 12-29-2003, 05:19 PM
Scared...I'm a big baby

Well after years of putting off even talking about the inevitable, I made an appointment with my doctor to see about having a hysterectomy. I will be out of a job after Wednesday, so I'm thinking of having it done before I start a new job...otherwise, I will keep putting it off.

I have heavy bleeding and clotting, menstrual migraines and I am anemic.

The biggest fear of having the surgery is of not waking up from the anestesia. Is this a common fear? I'm also scared of morphine. Can they give anything else that is effective?

Thanks, everyone, for the support on this board.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2003, 05:27 PM
Scared...I'm a big baby

Hello!
I don't think you are a big baby at all. I had that same fear of the anesthesia myself. I am sure many others have had that same fear too. I honestly just put it in God's hands, because I knew he would take care of me.
As for the Morphine, there are many other drugs out there that your DR can prescribe. Talk to him and tell him your fears, he may just change it to something else.
Good luck to you.
dbd
Unread 12-29-2003, 05:32 PM
Scared...I'm a big baby

First of all: It's normal to be scared! Don't feel bad about it.

I found out that morphine and demerol didn't work on me, but Dilaudid was great. There are lots of meds. that they can try. I had the Dilaudid in my PCA pump after surgery, and when they removed the pump on the 3rd day, they gave me Percoset. I hate how pain pills make me feel, and after the first 2 days home, I only took it at bedtime. Was able to make it through the day on Extra Strength Tylenol.
Good Luck!
Maureen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2003, 06:27 PM
Scared...I'm a big baby

Please do not feel bad because that is a normal feeling before surgery. I felt that way too and had the same feelings and i have had two major surgeries in 3 months. They had tried a lap,d&c, hystoscope on me and that did not work and I did have to go ahead and have my hysterectomy.

My mother was concerned about the morphine for me too but i did have it after surgery and it did take some of the edge off but they also had to give me some shots of tedrol (i think that is what it was called). I only used it the first 24 hours in the machine and then went to percoset.

I put everything in Gods hands and it all went smoothly.

I will keep you in my prayers and keep us updated when you can on how you are doing.

Heather
Unread 12-29-2003, 07:06 PM
Scared...I'm a big baby

I can definately relate to the fear of general anesthesia. I really felt that the worst thing that could happen would be a reaction to the anesthesia or having blood products. The truth is that neither one has never been safer. I think I needed to have some kind of fear to make myself feel normal and those are the things I happened to cling to. I must say that it was terrifying for me to have surgery, and the pre-op papers don't do much to ease your mind. I kept telling myself that next to cesarean this is the most commonly performed surgery. My doctor has done many of them and has excellent credentials, his staff speaks highly of him, even when he is not around. I found comfort in those things and I hope you to will find some comfort as well.
Unread 12-29-2003, 07:38 PM
Scared...I'm a big baby

That was the worst part for me - worrying about all the things that could go wrong, like not waking up from the anesthesia.

Complications can happen, that's why the DR has you sign all those informed consent forms. But fortunately not often.

And why are you scared of the morphine? You will be getting measured doses and can't get more than allowed no matter how much you click the button. And typically the pump is removed within 24 hours and they begin oral pain meds.

If you're worried about a bad reaction to the morphine make sure you talk to your DR about your fears, and also the anesthesiologist.

Best wishes.
Unread 12-30-2003, 04:59 AM
Scared...I'm a big baby

Good day!

You're certainly not a baby for having normal fears. My biggest fear is just how sick I get from Anesti.. And yes, I did get sick again, but I survived. Besides if fear makes a baby, then you are probably with us in the majority here. I think everyone has fear when it comes to being put to sleep.

My problems sound comprable to yours. (heavy bleeding, anemic etc) I went into the castle on the 26th, and checked out the evening of the 27th, so very very happy to have finally had this done!

I believe my pre op fear was fear of surgery itself, not fear of a hysterectomy.

Do your research, be confident in your Dr, and ultimately have Faith.

I know this sounds trite, but when all else is said and done, what is left but Faith?

Hugs to you!
Unread 12-30-2003, 05:38 AM
Scared...I'm a big baby

Hi sister

I can easily relate. I also fought against having an hysterectomy (for 20years!) and then recurrant fibroids, enlarged uterus, ovarian cyst, anemia, pains... made me change my mind.

One of the many reasons I had been resisting the surgery was being worried about my work. But this disappeared when I lost my job (through redundancy). I decided that was the best time to deal with my health problems so that I could be back to normal before I looked for employment again.

Being afraid is absolutely normal. I also was so afraid of not waking up and so worried that I made my will, wrote personal letters to all my loved one..., and then decided that since surgey was the only real option, I would leave my fate in God's hands.

I am now nearly 4 weeks post op and looking forward to a new life.

Soon it will be your turn.

and best wishes

Nicole
Unread 12-30-2003, 05:41 AM
Scared...I'm a big baby

Hi

I forgot to say that I had no fear about morphine, but I discovered that, although I was not allergic to it, I was extremely sensitive to it. But the hospital dealt with that very well.

Nicole
Unread 12-30-2003, 07:51 AM
Scared...I'm a big baby

Morphine...

I found out the hard way (after waking up post-op from arm surgery) that I'm immune to morphine! They said they had given me enough to make someone pass out, and my pain was still a 8-9! They ended up giving me a block on that arm, then I was fine. I've already told my surgeon for this that, and she's made notes. Turns out my Father is the same way!

Delaudid (sp?) worked well for me after some other procedures.

They have lots of options. Don't worry!!

Jeannie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register