How many Post-Op appointments? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How many Post-Op appointments? How many Post-Op appointments?

Unread 12-30-2003, 01:46 PM
How many Post-Op appointments?

Hello Sisters! I'm so glad I found this web site. I had my surgery on 12-3-03 and I came home on the 5th. My only post-op appointment with my doctor was on 12-8-03 to take my staples out. Tomorrow will be my 4th week since surgery and I think my progress has been normal. Swelly belly, locallized pain at times, but not more than "Advil" kind a pain. But without Hyster Sisters I would have thought I was recovering too slow. My question is my doctor has no plans for post-op appointment at all. I am to call if I feel the need... is that normal? Should I insist on making a 5 week post-op appointment before I go back to work? What does post-op appointment involve? Do doctors check the inside? Is it only to check the incision?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2003, 01:49 PM

I had post-op appointments at 2 weeks and 6 weeks post-op. At the 2 week appointment the incision sites were checked. AT 6 weeks my doctor did an internal exam to make sure the vaginal cuff was completely healed before clearing me to resume activities. I would call your doctor and schedule another appointment at 5-6 weeks post-op. In my opinion, I would want to be sure everything was completely healed.

s
Unread 12-30-2003, 02:04 PM

I had a 3-week post-tah/bso exam and a 6-week internal exam. Now he says to see him in 6 months unless I have a problem.
Hope this helps. I would insist on having an internal exam before you can be released to work, sexual activity, etc.
Sheree, Tarzana, CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2003, 04:04 PM

Hi. I had a TAH and had my first post-op appointment a week after I came home to get the staples out. Then he skipped a week (cuz he went on vacation) so 2 weeks later had a 3-week post of where all he did was check the incision and answer my questions. Today I had my 6-week check up to check the incision and to check the cuff. He then released me to do anything and said come back in 6 months (as long as I behaved myself he said).

I would call and see when they want you back.
Unread 12-30-2003, 04:48 PM

Hi,

I had a TVH on December 17, and went yesterday for my 2 week check-up (which is to see how we are feeling from the operation). The dr wanted to know about spotting, sleeping patterns, generally, how I was doing. He also reminded me that this is major surgery and to take is slow.

I am scheduled again in 4 weeks for an internal exam. Your doctor may have just forgotten to tell you. Being the holidays and all.

I would defintely give the office a call.

Hope this helps!

Holly

Unread 12-30-2003, 05:01 PM

I'd put in a call cuz that just doesn't sound right. I've had more than my fair share of surgeries (LOL) and everytime I had to have a follow up visit to be released from care for THAT procedure.

I had TVH/BSO & repairs on Dec. 16th. I thought it was odd that my doc didn't want to see me untill I was 6 weeks post op. I guess(from reading other posts) that may be because I have no tummy incisions to look at.
Unread 12-30-2003, 05:11 PM

Hi there!

I had a TAH on Dec 12th.. and my first post op visit isn't until 6 weeks post op. barring any (more) problems. I had my staples out before I left the hospital and was steri-stripped quite a bit with instructions to keep strips on for at least 2 weeks.

Going for 6 weeks without an appointment seems strange after reading what everyone else has said here, but I do have strict orders to call the doctor with any questions / concerns and I know that he will respond quickly since I've already had a problem and called him (See my post Greetings and Salutations). He met me at the hospital within 30 minutes of my call.

It seems strange (to me) that there would be NO post op at all.. not even at 6 weeks. Review your discharge paperwork and make sure that you don't have one listed somewhere that you don't know about, or call your doctors office. If you still find no appointment and you feel one is warrented, then certainly call your doctor and schedule one. The peace of mind that it will provide you if you feel you need his release or other confirmation is worth the visit alone!
Unread 12-30-2003, 05:14 PM

Well, I had my TAH on 1st Sept 03 and I have had seven post op visits to the consultant. At the last visit as much as I think my Gyn is a really smashing guy, I said i hoped I would never have to see him again! (made me feel quite sad). Unfortunately things still do not seem normal (tried out sex as a Christmas pressie to DH) and feel like I have the most awful cramp..................and more bleeding.
Going to put a thread up about this to see if my sisters can help me out.
By the way, each visit costs me another £100.....................and it's not me who has caused the problems, I'm just the one suffering them! This can't be right???
Unread 12-30-2003, 08:30 PM

I would request another appointment.... My doctor only does one post op appointment at one week post op. He also sent me return to work papers at the same time. I was very fustrated by that I expected better care. I was told that I should return in one year for my yearly that I was released from his care. The only reason he saw me afterwards was because I was having bladder problems. He did do a check at 3 weeks and discovered that I had a cuff infection. He never received the cuff at 5 weeks when I went back for bladder issues. I had a cystoscopy done yesterday by the URO and he is sending me back to my GYN at 4 months post op because my cuff has a red spot on it and does not look right. Hmm just makes me think that he sould of maybe rechecked the cuff. I have been uncomfotrable for weeks and with no findings to the problem besides bladder infections. URO thinks what every is wrong w/cuff could be causing alot of my pain at this point.

So of to GYN I go tomorrow... I would request another appointment just to make sure everything is healed and fine. Better safe then sorry.

Sweety TWeety
Unread 12-30-2003, 08:35 PM

I had a TAH-BSO on 12/11. I had one post-op on the 23rd to remove the glue and see how I was feeling. I was given my script for hormones as well. I see the doctor next on Jan 20th for my last post-op. That is...if I don't decide to go in earlier and have the nurse check my incision.

Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register