Pre and Post Op Suggestions for Laparosopic Hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre and Post Op Suggestions for Laparosopic Hysterectomy? Pre and Post Op Suggestions for Laparosopic Hysterectomy?

Unread 12-31-2003, 04:10 PM
Pre and Post Op Suggestions for Laparosopic Hysterectomy?

Hi All:

I'm a new "princess", with surgery scheduled for Jan. 28, 2004. I'm having just my uterus out, via laparoscopy. Any suggestions about pre and post-op preparation from those who have gone through this proceedure? How different is it from preparing and recovering from an abdominal procedure? What should I ask during my pre-op consult? What should I take with me to the hospital? How much time might I expect for recovery (it is supposed to be shorter and easier than ab surgery)? Etc. Etc.
Thanks for the input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2003, 06:04 PM
Pre and Post Op Suggestions for Laparosopic Hysterectomy?

Hey there! Happy New year!

I had a LSH/BSO on 11/14 and you are correct, there is less of a recovery time, but it is important that you bear in mind that this is still considered a major surgery so you still need to take it easy post-op.

I would ask about the type of bowel prep (if any), this differes from physician to physician, I had to drink 3 oz of Fleets phosphorus soda at 1pm the day before surgery, and had only liquids that day. Be sure to have baby wipes and vaseline for your sore bum! The worse is within about 1/2 hr, after about 2 all should subside.

Ask about where you will be in the hospital, I was on the "womens care floor" aka the maternity ward.

Ask if you can have someone to stay with you. My doctor wanted me up and about asap, he believes that the recovery time is faster if you are up and walking as soon as you can post-op. I was up 6 hrs post op and walked every hour and 1/2, thus I went home the next morning. If my sister had not slept in my room I would not have been able to do this as the nurses were quite busy. Also, this ensures that your needs are met. To be honest, my sister (god love her) helped my roommate more than me since she was in bad shape from her procedure.

Ask about a shot of morphine in the spine pre-op. I had this done minutes before I was put under, mind you this is not an epidural but rather a shot given in the spine. The anesthiologist administers the shot which is a long acting morphine. I had no post op pain!!!

Ask about nausea post-op. Anesthesia can be somewhat unkind to me so I wanted to be sure that this was understood so that I did not wake up vomiting, whatever they did worked!!!

Be sure to address the issue of potential problems that would force the physician to open up you abdomen should he be unable to complete the surgery via lap. Not that would be any complications, however, I was able to make a decision pre-op as to what would occur if my endo and adhesions were so severe that the physician was unable to complete the procedure via lap, we both understood what I wanted done and where to stop if there was a problem.

I would also ask about your post op diet, stool softners, pain meds, how long you should have a caretaker for, when you can walk you pets, how much to be up post-op (this varies from physician)

Now, in my case, I had the surgery at 10:00am on a Friday. Things were worse than we thought, but the lap was able to be done, it just took a little longer, and I was out of surgery in 4 hrs. I was up and walking by 9 pm and released by 8:30 am. I did walk around my neighborhood on Sat and Sun, every time my sister and pup went out I tagged along, on Monday I was shopping for a fan, and was back at work post-op day 10. You just have ty not over do it, no heavy lifting (over 5 lbs, not tight clothes, lots of water and walking!! I did have one bad day, which was my 6th post op day, I felt crummy all day, but bounced back fine the next day, but this generally happens after any surgery I have had. I truly do not believe that I would not have done as well if I had not had the pre-op shot of Morphine, for one thing that aids in recovery is excellent pain control post-op.

Annie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register