please read...my little girl 'started' today | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Surviving Parenthood

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

please read...my little girl 'started' today please read...my little girl 'started' today

Unread 01-01-2004, 10:16 PM
Unhappy - please read...my little girl 'started' today please read...my little girl 'started' today

I just am not prepared to be a Mother to a young lady...I cant believe that my little girl started her period this afternoon...but I guess I shouldnt have been suprised...shes been showing the signs for a few months...I cant believe that in one week she had to start wearing a bra & started her period...

I started when I was 9, and bless her heart, she will be 10 in May...

I would appreciate any help with this subject...

I have talked to her about the necessary...she is very prepared...I just want to make sure that I take every precaution with her to make sure that this goes smoothly for her...

I ran her a bubble bath & talked to her & eased her worries after she told me what had happened...she is handling this like a pro...I am so proud of her...

Any links to places to research would be appreciated!!

Thanx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2004, 11:43 PM
please read...my little girl 'started' today

I must tell my funny story. The night before my surgery date (12.15.03) my DH and I were joking how much money we would save by not having to buy pads and tampons (a good way to look at it). We have one daughter who is 12 and at about 10 pm she starts yelling that I need to come downstairs. When I get down there she says "I got it" and I am like "You got what?"....Not even thinking about her period since I was so consumed over my surgery the next day. She goes "You know"...and it hit me! I thought it was so funny and then I started crying because the timing was so weird. Ran to tell DH and he shed a tear too. I was stepping into a new stage of life the next day and she started a new stage the night before. Had to tell my Dr. the next morning before surgery. How ironic!!!!
Sorry I don't have any advice on our girls becoming women but thanks for letting me tell my story!!!!
Julie
Unread 01-02-2004, 01:01 AM

(((bruisincloud))) your daughter sounds very mature in the way she is dealing with this... you must be raising her right!

Here are a few links I found which may be helpful (the first few, for you; the last few, for her:

http://www.readingparents.com/topics...es/puberty.htm

http://www.drgreene.com/21_356.html

http://www.cwhn.ca/resources/faq/periods.html

http://www.tampax.com/en_us/pages/m2...?pageid=tp0021

http://www.birthwithsol.com/firstperiodkit.html

http://www.girlpower.gov/girlarea/bo...ody/period.htm

http://kidshealth.org/kid/grow/body_...struation.html

http://www.kotex.com/talk/teen/help/

I hope you find something here which you can use in helping your DD adjust to her new 'womanhood'.
s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2004, 10:25 AM

Thank you for sharing your stories & thanx for the links!

I started my period in church when I was 9 & since my Mom hadnt said a word to me about one, I assumed I had a tumor, or that God was punishing me for something I had done wrong...

As a matter of fact, my Mother still hasnt talked to me about a period & Im almost 34 years old...recon its time/???? ah...ha....

Si'Ara is doing well this morning...shes asked a lot of questions & has seemed to fall right into this...bless her heart...like she has a choice...

We had a few good months without having to buy pads...now heare we go again....

A special thanx for SURFERBABE...I appreciate the links...Im checking them out now...
Unread 01-02-2004, 08:59 PM

My daughters are 7 and 4 and I DREAD the days we have to start buying pads again!!!! I was 12 when I started my periods, so hopefully my daughters will take after me and start then. However, I have heard that lil' girls are becoming lil' ladies earlier than we did. NINE yrs. old scares me!!!!!! My oldest daughter knows about periods, but I told her it is something that happens when she would be older. I do want it to be an open subject, not a scary one. My mom didn't really talk to me much about it, or the birds and the bees. I want to be much more open with my daughters!!!!! I think it is better for them. I say I want to be more open, but then...the thought of having those talks scares me!!!

Sorry that I don't have much advise, hopefully the links you were given will take care of any ???'s you are hit with!!!

Sorry that you are still paying the employees of Kotex!!!!
Ronda
Unread 01-02-2004, 09:56 PM

I'm right there with you ladies...I'll be supporting Kotex, Tampax, etc...for quite some time! Although, I myself am about to lose the need for them...thanx to LAVH (Jan. 27)...I have 4 young girls who will keep them in business and me in the poor house! Ha! Ha! Oh, well. I'm gonna have to check out those websites as well. Maybe, they'll help when the time comes! Good luck with your girlie! I'm sure she'll make it through with flying colors...and hopefully without the complications in later years, like the rest of us hystersisters! I'll say a little prayer for her...in hopes that it won't be too much of a shock for such a little one and that you will handle the parent side without trouble. I know that it's coming for me soon, as I have a Diabetic 7 yr old who is in Tanner Stage III of puberty. I'm freakin'! I'm not ready, yet...but, then again...will I ever be? My poor DH has to live with all of us...bless his heart! He either loves us a lot...or is just a glutton for punishment! ....much love n prayers...Sour Mug Angel!
Unread 01-03-2004, 10:23 AM

Thanx ladies!!!

Si'Ara is doing wonderfully & isnt the least bit scared...you wouldnt even know she was 'doing it' if you didnt know...shes very private & mature about the whole thing, so I am blessed..

thanx again ladies!!!
Unread 01-03-2004, 10:41 AM

Dear ((((( bruisincloud ))))),

I agree with ((( Linda/Surferbabe ))) - you are doing a wonderful job with your DD .

I wanted to tell you my story (and my DD's). I was 9 when I started, and my mother hadn't said anything at all to me about periods yet - it was 1955, and a terribly hush-hush subject. I was in the bathroom and found blood on my panties - I started screaming for my mother, and when she saw what had happened all she did was to hand me a belt and a pad and a little pamphlet by Kotex called "You're a Young Lady Now" and told me to read it. We never did talk about it.

Well - I was determined that would not happen with my DD, but I also was very naive about the signs of early puberty, and DD started hers at age 7 without any preparation from me. I came home from work and found her huddled in a chair, all quiet and scared looking - when I finally got her to talk to me, she told me she thought she was dying.

So - I reassured her that she wasn't (although there have been times since that she's had terrible cramps and I'm sure she would disagree), and did my best to explain menstruation to a 7 year-old.

You know how there are times when you can say too much? Well - after I explained all about it, (including some basic birds and bees stuff) and asked her if she had any questions she wanted to ask, she said ((())) "Yes - when am I going to have my baby? I want to tell teacher!!" So - needless to say I started over, and did a better job the second time through.

I hadn't thought about that in years, until I read your post, ((( bruisincloud ))).

s
Unread 01-03-2004, 10:49 AM

KDeit,

Thanx so much for saying that...I appreciate you all for saying such comforting things...

Did you carry your daughter to the dr. (the one that started at 7) & have her examined for why she started so early? I thought about carrying Si'Ara within the month, just to make sure that everything is okay...

I hope that your daughter is doing well...

Lord have mercy on all us Moms, who knew we'd be old ladies sooo soon???

I thought that We'd have at least a little more time her being my little girl...but hey, my little lady is just fine!!!!
Unread 01-03-2004, 11:42 AM

I did make an appointment with her pediatrician, but the only thing she said was that she was just maturing more quickly than most her age. I think it might be a good idea to make an appointment, just to be sure that everything is OK with your Si'Ara (what a beautiful name!!)

My DD is 32 now, and a mother herself, and tells me that she'll be talking with her little one before she's 7, just in case.

s

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register