Itching. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-02-2004, 04:14 PM
Itching.

Hi Ladies -

This topic probably isn't for this list - but not sure where else to ask. A couple of weeks ago I started itching - all over my body - it's mostly at night but happens during the day too. The last couple of nights I was unable to sleep because it kept me awake. I have no changes in any skin products/detergents/medications/diet.
My home is clean. I only use Aveda products on my skin and don't use chemicals inside or outside. My DH and I eat organic foods and produce. With that in mind, I can't think what it could be.
I can't get in to see my dermatologist for a month - and I think between then and now I will scratch myself raw. This is all over itching - everywhere - including inside my ears, my nostrils, scalp, fingertips, limbs, back, front and inbetween.....you name it!
Have any of you experienced this before? Any ideas?
I did look online and itching can apparently be anything from an allergy to cancer...of course I fixated on the latter somewhat! Had my three month post op pap two weeks ago and it was normal. :-) Also had two small lesions removed from the back of my hand (resembled basal cell carcinomas) last week and don't have the results yet.
Thanks - and Happy New Year everyone!
Jan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2004, 07:27 PM
Itching.

Hey! Congrats on the great checkup report!!!!
I have no idea what could be causing the itching. But it has got to be something you are reacting to. Do you heat with wood heat? Could there have been some kind of poison ivy, or fungi on the wood maybe that could spread through the heating system?

I know when I have had 'itchies' a bath with baking soda in it seems to help.

wish I could help you

nancy j.
Unread 01-02-2004, 08:23 PM
Itching.

Dear Jads,
You poor thing! Don't know what could be the cause of itching, maybe a change in the weather or something in the water??? Who knows, but I'm sorry it is making you miserable.

I tend to get very itchy skin in the winter, and have found that either an oatmeal bath or a milk bath helps. Just put some oatmeal in a mesh bag or cheese cloth and let it steep in the bath water. For the milk bath, use about 3/4 cup powdered milk. Tsalagi's baking soda suggestion is a good one too. Neutrogena makes a very nice anti-itch lotion you might want to try.

Good luck. I hope you are able to find some relief.

's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2004, 07:16 AM
Itching.

Hi Jads - sometimes the cause of your itching cannot be identified. I have been suffering from chronic hives since April 1991! They came out of nowhere and I haven't had a doctor figure it out yet...

All the suggestions you've received so far are good ones. Dry skin will itch more than moisturized skin. I have found that when my itchy hives become unbearable (and hives can make a person itch like CRAZY) I can get relief by taking Claritin, which is an over-the-counter antihistimine. Claritin does not make you drowsy but always check with your doctor first. Alternatively, there are some herbs that I have heard can work (didn't for me) like stinging nettles. I have also learned to "ignore" the itchy sensation - because it's been going on so very long.

I know my skin was also extremely itchy the week or so after my tah/bso especially on my left arm around where the IV was.

Good luck, I know how frustrating it can be when you toss and turn and itch all night long!

Unread 01-03-2004, 10:40 AM
Itching.

My cousin had a terrible time with hives and itching all over like you...She went to Dr's all over the US and no luck untill she went to an Allergy Clinic in Wisc....they diagnosed in 2 days that she had a systemic yeast infection...after only afew days on the medication the symptems were gone....they say it will take along time to totally get rid of the problem, but she has no sumptoms at least now...Maybe something like that????? AndeC
Unread 01-03-2004, 11:15 AM
Itching.

AndeC - thanks for your post. I think I will look into that...I've tried so many approaches for dealing with this, and the idea of yeast has come up in the past but nothing ever came of it. I will research some more - It's gotten to the point that this condition has just become a part of my life - and I don't actively seek answers anymore...
Unread 01-03-2004, 02:53 PM
Itching.

Hi Jan,,,

The only thing I can say is that I had that itchy feeling once from an antibiodic I was taking. It is that itch that is under your skin and just will not go away.

Think real hard about any different meds, foods, and things like that. Maybe benedryl will help relieve the itch but I would contact my doctor first.

Keep in touch.
Rosalie
Unread 01-03-2004, 04:17 PM
Itching.

Jads,

In my book, no one should ever have to suffer pain. Does your dermatologist realise that you have undergone, with the concomitant drugs, your cancer treatment?

January is a long month. If your regular dermatologist is unable to accomodate you, this month, go to another. Also, consult your gyn/onc re: your itching.

big
Unread 01-03-2004, 06:05 PM
Itching.

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I do keep my skin well moisturized so don't think it's dryness. Have tried benedryl to no avail. The yeast thing idea is interesting.
I am wondering if it could be hormone related. In the past when I have broken out in hives due to medicine allergies I had little red bumps - but no bumps or rash this time. My cancer was grade 1 stage 1a so no treatment - just the TAH/BSO. I am on a low estrogen (vivelle dot) but have been using for three months.
My DH keeps telling me not to scratch myself but it's impossible. I will call on Monday and see if I can get into a different dermatologist.
Jan
Unread 01-03-2004, 06:09 PM
Itching.

Dear Jads:

Everyone gave you wonderful suggestions. I know that sometimes my skin is very itchy. I try to increase my intake of water along with taking aveno baths and using a good moisturizing lotion. Has it gotten colder where you live that you might have turned on the heat? When our furnace goes on, everyone's skin gets drier.

Good luck...

S

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register