Ovarian Cysts: 9 cm. -Help | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovarian Cysts: 9 cm. -Help Ovarian Cysts: 9 cm. -Help

Unread 01-03-2004, 01:04 AM
Ovarian Cysts: 9 cm. -Help

Hi there! I can't believe I'm back here again. I used to come to this site about 2 1/2 yrs. ago when I had my partial hysterectomy (uterus, tubes, cervix, removed). I refused to allow them to take my ovaries although even then I had history of ovarian cysts (PCOS?). The largest cyst I had on an ovary (poss. including the ovary itself) was about 3 cm. Anyway, this site was so helpful to me then.

Well, today I had an ultrasound done, and I have several cysts on left ovary (incl. 9 cm.), and about 3 cysts on right side--not as large. But over 3 cm. I remember.

I am being treated for probable Lupus (SLE- Systemic Lupus Erythematosis) and I understand that PCOS can go along w/ Lupus.

I don't know what to expect. I should rec'v a phone call by doc by Monday (the ultrasound tech said to go home and do nothing, as I could rupture). I don't even know what kind of cysts these are, except that some are fluid-filled and some solid; and some are internal and some outside the ovary proper.

Question: Will they want to do surgery to remove my ovaries right away? What should I expect? And what are the chances of these being cancer? I've heard that when the cysts are this large, the chance of being cancer is higher.

What kind of surgery have some of you had for this? How long is recuperation time? I am 42; been feeling alot of discomfort for about 3 months, but esp. in last month. Not on meds. for this yet. And I am quite bloated. The tech said I am "full".

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Sincerely,
Geri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2004, 09:16 AM

Oh (((Geri)))) I'm so sorry you have all these problems

I only had to deal with one ruptured cyst once and remember just how painful that was... so can only imagine how bad it must be with all those cysts

I don't have much insight to offer, but just wanted to send some s your way.
Unread 01-03-2004, 11:11 AM

Hi Geri

I'm sorry to hear of your situation. My hysterectomy was performed because of ovarian cysts, some solid and some not. I think the risk of cancer is not solely related to the size of the cyst, but also to the type of cyst it is. I remember my doctor saying that she would be removing the ovaries *very* carefully so as not to spill the contents into the abdominal cavity, just in case they were cancerous. She actually thought the cysts (tumours by this point) were malignant but they were not. So even if there are indications your cysts might be cancerous, it doesn't necessarily mean that they are. As far as I know, however, the only way to find out is to biopsy the cysts and that requires removal of the ovaries. Your doctor will know whether or not the signs are there that there could be a malignancy, in which case the ovaries would need to be removed as soon as possible. At least that was my understanding.

Good luck. Hopefully all will turn out well for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2004, 11:32 AM

Hi Geri.....'s for you .

I can't give you any info on your particular situation but I can tell you what happened with me and my situation was quite the same as yours.

I had TAH June 2002 and developed a 6cm cyst within a few weeks on my remaining ovary (confirmed by CT scan) My Dr of course wanted to take the "wait and see" approach and we even did a lupron injection. We did MANY in office ultrasounds (US) and each time I was told that I was making "progress" but I still had the pain and it seemed to be increasing. After about 2 months of the "wait and see" approach I went and had a 2nd opinion (actually it was about the 4th opinion but that's another story in itself so I won't go there)

When I went in for this opinion, the DR felt around (which hurt like heck) and sent me across the street to the hopital to have an ultrasound immediately. He called me later that evening and said the US showed an 18 cm mass and wanted me to come in the following morning and have a ca-125 test, which is a cancer screening test (but not extremely accurate) the results of that came back just fine but he wanted me in surgery the next day to have it removed via my origianl bikini incision. That was too short of notice for me so we scheduled for the following week.

I was told the same thing...that it appeared to have some fluid but also some solid components. I was never actually given a name for what type of cyst it was but I was told that the solid component was blood that had solidified and the fluid was blood that was continuing to accumulate into and around it.

As for whether your Dr will want to do surgery immediately? That is going to be up to you and your Dr. The recovery time for me was the full 6 weeks again because of having many other things done at the same time (things we didnt know were there- see my signature below) and the fact that the bikini cut was used again.

It turned out that the actual cyst itself was 9 cm and it was encased in a mass of adhesions and fluids BUT it was non cancerous. As for whether it is likely cancer?? I'm no medical expert but my Dr did say that it would be very unlikely since I had previous surgery in that area not oo long ago and they had biopsied these areas and every thing came back negative then. Did they biopsy your ovaries at the time of your hyst? They usually do.

I would say that the most important thing for you to do is to have a DR that you trust and to ask for copies of all US or CT scan reports so you know for yourself what progress if any is being made.(I didnt do this) The DR who did my second surgery to remove the mass said that had we caught it earlier, he could have removed it laproscopically.

Tyr not to worry too much unless you are given a reason to worry. IF your Dr doesnt suggest the ca-125 and I'm sure he will..then maybe you could request it. Had my ca-125 been elevated, I would have been sent to a gyn-oncologist.

I hope you find out soon , I know how awful it feels to sit around and wait on results. I'll be keping you in my thoughts and prayers. Feel free to email me ( email button to the left) if you have any questions or just want to talk.

Dawn and more 's
Unread 01-03-2004, 02:13 PM
per-cyst-tant things aren't they?

Hi there, I am not quite as bad as your case, but have had trouble with growing cyst on right ovary since hyst 19 months ago.

I also am 'full', boobs, fingers, ankles, sudden emergence of spare tyre whereas I have always had fairly trim waist even after hyst. Feels like permanent pmt ( poor DH, he gets the mood fallout).

I have been told it's likely to be a simple cyst, and had choice of just cyst being removed or ovary. I chose the second, I have had trouble and pain with this side since bad dose of iud pid in my early twenties and as I am teacher training, can't take off extra time for possible future surgeries on ovary.

My cyst is not that large, it was hard to believe it could cause me so many symptoms. I thought ( and my doc) I had kidney infection as I was in such pain, but gyn thinks I have adhesions growing around tube from kidney to bladder ( I had bladder surgery and enterocele repair so is quite possible) and he will dissect and remove these and treat with gel spray that holds organs apart till healing has started and that's supposed to lessen new scar adhesions. Hope so!

The lupus makes things harder for you, my aunt on DH's side has it and for a while her life was miserable but by eliminating most of the trouble foods, she has improved her health and is now in her 70 s, bright, active and full of energy. She takes regular vitamin B12 by injections and has thyroid meds. for hypo, and even as a heavy smoker, keeps better health than her doc. thinks she deserves ( he's virulently anti-smoking and if offends him that she has smoke for 55 years and doesn't even cough!)

There are quite a few of us heading in for surgery for cyst problems, a search will bring these up. I can't help with the PCOS, I was tested for it prior to hyst, but cleared. I know there is a lot of info in the forums though and links to websites for extra info.

Wishing you well, and hope that you will soon have an answer that fits well with want you need and is resolved quickly. Take care, stress is not a good companion for lupus. Hugs Linda
Unread 01-03-2004, 03:51 PM

Thank you all so much for the encouraging yet honest feedback. I can deal w/anything. But I do NEED to know that facts, you know? I wish you all good health.

Hopefully on Monday, I'll get some answers. And I wonder about the abdominal surgery route (I've had several already, for 2 cesareans, 2 hernias, partial hysterectomy). Well, I know I've heard that they can deflate the cysts inside the ovary, then suck it out (sounds so attractive, doesn't it?). But the 9 cm. cyst (or tumor?) is on the outside. And that one appeared to be solid. Hmm, I think it will take more than a laparosciopic incision.

Well, continued feedback is certainly welcome and appreciated. Thanks for taking the time. God bless!

Hugs!
Geri

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register