Obese and facing a TAH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Obese and facing a TAH Obese and facing a TAH

Unread 01-03-2004, 09:37 PM
Obese and facing a TAH

Ladies and Princesses, I need your help. I've been struggling with problem periods my whole life. I just love being a girl. I have fibroids, a polyp, and ovarian cyst. Anyway, over the last six years (since a D&C), I've gained 100+ pounds. The doctors consider me mobidly obese, which I can't deny. The first gyn I went to took one look at me and I knew she didn't want anything to do with me, which she basically told me not in so many words. My second opinion gyn said that my weight wasn't a problem at all. She and her associate had done a TAH on a woman about my size and she was doing fine. She said that I'd have to have TAH w/ vertical incision. She said that she would put me on hepron and get my bucket out of bed as soon as possible.

Are there any "bubble" princesses out there that have had a TAH or TVH? I'm just curious about how you did. The first "I don't want anything to do with you" doctor scared the snot out of me by telling me that because the surgery was so major I'd probably have a stroke and a heart attack and deep venous bloodclots, bloodclots in my lung, etc., etc., etc. Although I'm somewhat confident in my second opinion gyn, the words from the first doctor echo in my mind. Part of the reason I'm freaked out is because my mom had a heart attack and strokes when I was kid and died when I was 14. I am TERRIFIED of having a stroke.

Should I put off the surgery and hope that menopause comes quickly?

Thanks Ladies for listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2004, 10:22 PM
Obese and facing a TAH

Missy Sweet Pea...I can so relate to your post. I too am obese and had a similar experience with the first OB/GYN that I went to see about 6 years ago. He told me at the time point blank you need a hysterectomy but I won't do it because of your weight you will die on the operating table. Well here is the morale of that story. Since that time I have had two surgeries (hernia and TVH)and have lived to tell about it. So wishing that that first doctor hadn't retired as I would love to send him a postcard to let him know that I am alive and ticking as I just had the TVH a little over two weeks ago and went through 6 years of pain and suffering and scared out of my mind because of what that first DR had said.
Then when I was told that I had to have the hysterectomy again by the second DR (that did my surgery) naturally I was scared out of my mind again. The only reason that I went to the first DR to begin with was because at the time my HMO didn't have the second DR on it's plan or I definately would have been in his office as he was the one that did my lap surgery back in 1990. So I was between a rock and a hard place due to my insurance plan I had at the time.

So Missy you have to trust your heart and put complete faith in your DR...as that is what I had to do. My second DR had a good reputation as being a good, and didn't even mention what the first doctor had mentioned to me. Then I knew that I was in the hands of two physicians one from up above looking down on me and one physically with their hands on me in that operating room. I won't lie to you I had my fair share of crying session prior to my surgery, as the first DR had scared me so badly. But finally that last night before surgery I just laid it all on the line and said "God...I lay this at your feet I am totally at your mercy". I let him know that I was scared, course he knew that already. But go with your gut feeling and check out the reputation of your DR. That should give you your answer Missy. I would hate to see you go through what I went through in the pain, suffering, and being scared anytime anyone mentioned possibilty of having a surgery to you. So research information on your DR.
Unread 01-03-2004, 10:43 PM
Obese and facing a TAH

Hi Missy,

I am three and a half weeks post op - and easily 100 pounds overweight. Everything went fine - I had the squishy things on my legs to prevent blood clots, and had no problems what so ever! Well - I sweated in the squishy things and it itched - but that's it.

I read all these posts where women are 'belly-aching' about getting their flat tummies back - glad I don't worry about that. I've even lost a couple of pounds. I feel better than I did before - like I have a new lease on life.

I'm sure you know it, but there are a lot of 'normal' people out there who just can't deal with our size. It comes out in the most hurtful ways. But it is their own ignorance and fear, it has nothing to do with you or your size.

Much love!
Elaine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2004, 08:15 AM
Obese and facing a TAH

Hi Ladies

All surgeries are a risk no matter how big or small you are. Go with you instincts and if it feels right to have the surgery then do so. I wish you all the luck in the world.

Happy healing and rest lots after operation.

Hugs

Jane
Unread 01-04-2004, 08:18 AM
Obese and facing a TAH

Howdy missie,

I am overweight as well and was told years ago a GYN that the reason I was having the problems "down there" was because I was too fat. When I changed jobs, I had to change GYN's (hmo). When I went to see her, she said that the weight was not a major factor and did not hesitate to treat me. At first, she didn't want to do a hysterectomy due to my age. Now almost 10 years later (the delay due to insurance reasons and me being ) it's happening and she has not said anything about my weight being an issue on the operating table.

Quote:
I'm sure you know it, but there are a lot of 'normal' people out there who just can't deal with our size. It comes out in the most hurtful ways. But it is their own ignorance and fear, it has nothing to do with you or your size.
Amen to that sister!

I agree with catlover about having faith in your dr. The lord will be guiding your GYN's hands and he is going to do everthing possible to insure that you will awake safe and sound.

s and god bless
Unread 01-04-2004, 08:36 AM
Obese and facing a TAH

Hey Missey,

I am 4 weeks post-op and 100 pounds overweight. I had a TAH for VERY large fibroids...I too had a vertical cut from the pubic bone ....up and around my belly button about 4 inches above. I have had a problem with my lower legs swelling since I was 12....and it is due to the veins deep in my lower legs. Because of this I was at a higher risk of blood clots too. My Dr. put me on 2 shots of Heparin a day (for as long as I was in the hospital), I had the leg compression things on anytime I was in bed in the hospital, The Dr. made sure I was up the night of my surgery (not walking...just sitting in the char for 1/2 hour, and I made sure the next day when the catherder was out that I walked the halls every 1 1/2 to 2 hours. I know it is scary....I was scared too but trust in your Dr. and you make sure to do your part by keeping mobile, hydrated, and making sure you get the Heparin shots!

Best Wishes!
Michelle
Unread 01-04-2004, 09:42 AM
Obese and facing a TAH

Hi Ladies
I just wanted to say that my concerns are the same as Missy's, or were...I feel a lot better reading these posts.
I am also obese and awaiting a TAH (in 2 weeks) and I have also been worried about my size. Its great to know that others have felt the same and had good experiences.

Thanks
Unread 01-04-2004, 10:30 AM
Obese and facing a TAH

Thanks Missy for the asking the question I've been wanting to! MyTAH is scheduled for 1/6 and I'm a nervous wreck! My doctor never mentioned my weight as being an issue but several coworkers have and I've been scared. It's nice to hear the some positive experiences.

Any suggestions on what to eat the day before surgery? I was told no food or liquids after midnight.
Unread 01-04-2004, 11:06 AM
Obese and facing a TAH

Thanks so much ladies. I thought I was alone in the world. Thin folks have no idea what being obese means. Often I find "they" think we are lazy, gluttonous people. If they only knew the extreme measures that we go through to lose weight.

I'm glad to hear others did well with their visit to the castle. When I first met my current gyn, I asked her straight out when I first met her if my weight was an issue. Her comment back was "no, why would it be? I'll put you on heparin and get you up and walking early. You'll be fine." Wow.

Again, thanks for your comments. I don't feel so alone with my life circumstances!
Unread 01-04-2004, 02:40 PM
Obese and facing a TAH

My current dr has never said on word about my weight, and yes I am (my terms) a little heavy. I walk on treadill etc. I have had no issues with the TAH, Maybe you should have looked at the DR and ask if he was a compent surgen or he would not be having these issues with "fluffy" people.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register