Complex Hyperplasia with atypia - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Complex Hyperplasia with atypia Complex Hyperplasia with atypia

Unread 01-06-2004, 09:14 AM
Megace vs. Provera

Joyce,

So glad to give you hope. A year and a half ago I felt the same way you do now. I immediately began searching the internet for an alternative and was encouraged by the info I found on hormone thearpy. I just couldn't accept a hysterectomy as the solution until I had at least tried it.

I also wanted to mention that I did not have any side effects from the Megace that you say you have from the Provera. You might want to ask your doctor about Megace. The 160 mg did increase my appetite and I gained a few pounds but as soon as I quite taking it I lost the weight. Even if your hyperplasia does progress to cancer as long as you keep your follow up appts (mine are every 3 months) it should be caught while in the early stages and you can always get a hysterectomy then. At least that's the way I rationalize it to myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2004, 06:12 PM
Provera vs Megace side effects

LauraLee,
I know about those side effects. Have to call doc and let him know I am having break thru bleeding after only one week on Provera. I am being so careful to take it at the exact same time every night.

You have given me courage to ask about the Megace. He did mention that is what the ob/onc had suggested. But he said every doctor has their "prefered" drug or what they feel comfortable dispensing.

Did you have bad mood swings with the Megace? That is the only reason I am on such a low dose of the Provera.

Keep me posted on how you are doing with those check ups.
Unread 01-06-2004, 06:23 PM
eonrac/carole: side effects?

Carole,

How high a dose of progestin are you taking? I am concerned that mine is not high enough. However, I cannot tolerate the higher dose at the two week intervals. So, I am on a lower dose for a straight 90 days. Don't ask me how I am supposed to have a normal period on this stuff.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing and if this progestin therapy is working for you. Have you had any side effects like mine? Mood swings and break thru bleeding?

Here's to successful hormone treatment!! (big smile!!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2004, 09:48 AM
Megace side effects

I did not have any mood swings (at least none I was aware of - maybe I should ask my husband) but I did forget that I had continuous spotting the last 2-3 months. The doctor acted like that was not normal but it was the D&C right after that that was clear of all cancer and hyperplasia so I just figured it was my body's reaction to that much progestin. At 80 mg I didn't have spotting, it was when the doctor increased it to 160 mg. I would certainly not want to take it long term but it did what it was suppose to.

I don't want to discourage you but I did have irregular bleeding last October and a D&C in Nov. showed hyperplasia again but with NO atypia so now I'm on natural progesterone 14 days starting the 1st day of my period. I've only been through one cycle but I didn't notice any side effects.

My doctor is totaly clueless as to why my body is doing this to me and so am I. I'm thin & have no health problems what so ever so I'm not the typical endo cancer patient so he says. However, there have been several posts here on hystersisters about the fact that this cancer seems to be showing up more frequently in young (not that I'm young but I'm not menopausal at all) healthy women. Makes you wonder doesn't it?

Anyway, I'll keep you posted and follow your heart. That's what I've done. I've decided that I don't want to take high dose Megace the rest of life and if it progesses to cancer again while on the natural progesterone then it would be stupid not to have a hysterectomy. But at least I'll know I did everything possible to avoid a hysterectomy.

Good luck!
Unread 01-18-2004, 12:09 AM
Complex Hyperplasia with atypia

I was 32 when I had a biopsy because of infrequent periods. It came back with thickening of the lining. My doctor put me on a very high dose of progesterone for 3 months. I then had another biopsy and it came back with atypical hyperplasia, which showed it wasn't affected by progesterone. I opted for the hysterectomy. Thankfully, the cancer was only stage 1 grade 1. I am doing fine and am on .0375 vivelle dot. I feel pretty much like I did before the surgery. Good luck to you!

Another thing, are any of you with this grade of cancer, have any other preventative treatment besides pap smear every 3 months?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register