Fibromyalgia - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-06-2004, 08:06 AM
Fibromyalgia

shelley:
Another Fibromite here!!! I've been dx'd since 1990, in addition to have Rheumatoid. I see an arthritis dr. I don't really take anything special for the FMS, becuase i am afriad of taking antidepressants to sleep.

mostly i just take pain pills that don't do much good.

One thing i have that's nice is a vibrating heat/massage full body mat, and when things are really bad, i use that.

Chronic pain is a Bee Atch, if ya know what i mean!!!

Fluffy Lemur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2004, 09:08 AM
O more thing

I have a Tens unit and for you back you could get a script from you doc and insurance will pay for it. It does help when there are times that you just need to do things. I have one it is annoying at times to use it, but it works. Also I use the theracane patches you can get at the drugs stores walmart, kmart, put it on and they stay hot for 12 hours. That and one more thing Biofreeze works so well it can break a migraine for me, you have to order it online. Good luck. Ellie
Unread 01-06-2004, 11:34 AM
Fibromyalgia

Quote:
I have a Tens unit and for you back you could get a script from you doc and insurance will pay for it. It does help when there are times that you just need to do things. I have one it is annoying at times to use it, but it works. Also I use the theracane patches you can get at the drugs stores walmart, kmart, put it on and they stay hot for 12 hours.
((Ellie)),
I use a TENs unit also...it really helps my back I also use the Thermacare patches & my heating pad. I also have some Lidoderm patches, they are by RX only but ohh do they help:-) My P.Therapist supplies me with Biofreeze..awesome stuff. I use that on my back more often than elsewhere.

Do you all suffer multiple back problems and/or severe back pain? I've read a few articles concerning FMS & Substance P <the thing that causes our body to react or overreact to pain> it's produced & distributed in the spine. One Researcher stated that FMS begins in the Spine or is bought on by a spinal injury Here is a great article describing the Physical Proof that FMS patients feel pain at increased levels..the changes are clearly noted in the brain:

FMS & CFS Basics

We have had a couple FMS Clinics pop up here. They advertise Oxygen therapy as part of their program They claim that all the toxins, pollution, chemicals in the air cause our bodies damage resulting in this & other syndromes. So by undergoing this Oxygen therapy it can help reverse the damage...the thing is what happens when you stop this therapy <if it works at all> wouldn't the cycle start all over again?? Some of the things people come up with to target Chronic Pain patients & the possibility of relief disturbs me....They know we get to a certain point where we are willing to undergo several treatment options, including the bizarre, to find some relief. Unfortunately, we seem to be in the Market for it with all the various syndromes coming to life. I do believe that some of the toxins & chemicals being used today contribute to the rising numbers of diseases, Cancers, Chronic Illnesses but not near as much as we are often led to believe. Exp. from the manufacturers & those who market these products as miracle drugs. I also believe that some of them may actually cause or worsen them i.e. the over-prescribing of antibiotics, such as one Researcher in FMS promotes long-term antibiotic therapy < I would think that would actually kill off the good stuff our body produces to fight off infection, leaving us prone to more infection <sigh> them because of immunity/tolerance they no longer will work to fight off the bad.
Then there is the once popular *Bowel Cleanse*...IMO, our organs maintain a certain function to assure a certain level of protection against bacteria, for us to cleanse it out, doesn't seem like a good idea...exp. for those using it to feel *cleaner*?!?

Sorry ((gals)) I didn't mean to go on...just some things I ponder..lol..

Thanks for starting this thread ((Shelley))...it seems we've all been able to benefit from it in one way or another! I love to share with others suffering from this also...not that I would wish it on anyone, exp. you all, just that it helps knowing your not alone & learning ways others cope with the changes we are forced to undergo

((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2004, 11:50 AM
Fibromyalgia

That's another interesting article (((Sheri)))

I'm putting my journal together and have an appt. with my GP, Dr. Christine on Thursday. I'm hoping she won't want to run a whole bunch of bloodwork to rule out other dx's. My insurance only pays for catastrophic medical

BTW, what is a tens unit, what does it do, and where can I get one?

Incidentally, have any of you heard of "magnet therapy". My Mom was dx with FM 3 or 4 years ago (another reason I think I may have "inherited" it)------she bought a magnet mattress and says it helps.....

's
Unread 01-06-2004, 02:38 PM
Fibromyalgia

Shelley,
I have used magnets before. They have some interesting properties. I have alleviated headaches of my family members and other aches and pains. I have heard about the magnetic mattress, but they are very expensive. But, the real reason I am mentioning this is because I was in the store the other day and saw some magnet inserts that you can put in your shoes. I almost bought them until I read the warning which said if you use hormone patches the magnets should not be used. I don't know why but that might be of interest to you or anyone else thinking of using magnets.
Unread 01-08-2004, 07:48 PM
Fibromyalgia

Hi again---

I saw my doctor today. 16 of the 18 "trigger points" were painful--that along with the journal I've kept, and my symptoms and what exacerbates them, has us both convinced that FM is my diagnosis. She prescribed Elavil to take nightly to help with sleep and depression, and Flexeril to take when I'm having muscle spasms. I will check back with her in a month and see how things are going.

We also discussed lifestyle changes, and how to cope...along with her recommendation that I do some water exercises in a heated pool (at the local rec center).

So that's where I am now---I want to thank all of you for your input and advice.

BTW, (((Kelou))), that's interesting what you posted--about NOT using magnets if one is on the hormone patch (which I am).

And (((Sheri))) I will be e-mailing you for further information and support as I journey down this new road.

's to all who have offered their experience and advice.

Unread 01-08-2004, 09:28 PM
Fibromyalgia

Shelley,

Best of luck to you, my dear. I hope Elavil does as much for you as it has done for me. It was probably one of my better decisions to start on that medication. What dosage are you on? I'm on 150 mg, but I have a fairly high tolerance for medications. You'll probably be drowsy the first couple of days, but I had no problem adjusting to that. If you are taking one dose at night, it should help with the sleep. That's another reason I went with Elavil. It can be used for so many things -- chronic pain, fibro, IBS, etc.

Christy
Unread 01-09-2004, 05:41 AM
Fibromyalgia

another fibromite here! i was dxed with fibromyalgia about two years ago...by my GP, a rheumatologist and an orthopedic surgeon. i've not wanted to admit to myself i have it...i don't know why. i guess because so many people around me don't see it as a true disorder. but believe me, it is. the pain is unbelievable as well as the insomnia, ibs, migraines....etc. i take effexor for depression and fatigue. i also have a blood clotting disorder and have chronic pain from recurrent flareups of blood clots. *chronic venous insufficiency and nerve damage* right now i'm working with pain management doctors getting radio frequency lumbar blocks. i really don't see that they are helping much.

man, even reading all this it sounds to me like it all couldn't be true! no wonder hubby thinks i complain all the time! *wry grin* i haven't worked since this past june and while it is good to not have the stress of work right now, i'm not sure how good the staying home all the time is for me either.

i did notice while on one of the fibro boards how many of us there were that had early hysterectomies...most of us in our early 30's. i was 33 when i had mine. not sure if there is any relevance there?
Unread 01-09-2004, 06:42 PM
Fibromyalgia

Kaia,

I know what you mean -- I've had people refer to my fibro as "just fibro," but I'd like to see them spend a day in our shoes. We don't always get respect for our chronic problems. Everyone thinks just as long as I don't have something like cancer then I'm capable of doing anything I want, when that just isn't true.

Best of luck,
Christy
Unread 01-11-2004, 02:00 PM
Fibromyalgia

so good to come here for support and feedback. While I've had fibro for many years, true dx was only about 2 yrs ago. It seemed under control and I have never been out of work for it but lately, I'm nervous. I had treatment in the beginning of 03 for breast cancer and continue to take tamoxifen, I recently recovered from lsh/bso. Right now I am finding the fibro to be the worst it has ever been, I've considered trying to work part time but that isn't very feasible in my position (mgr - insurance)
I have never felt this bad....How are others handling not working?
And are you on disability? So many folks dont consider our disease real, I wonder what compensations are out there?
good luck to all.
Colleen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register