Upsetting News | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Posts from the Heart > Aching Hearts

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upsetting News Upsetting News

Unread 01-05-2004, 05:31 PM
Upsetting News

I am so depressed tonight. While I was at work this afternoon, One of the bosses called me into his office and told me that he was going to have to lay me off. I was so shocked that I didn't know what to say or how to act.

I went over to a chair and sat down. The business has been doing poorly for most of this past year. I knew this, but we have lost most of our office staff already and I was assuming that we were down as low as we would get. What a surprise for me.

This past year I have been in the hospital four times, most recently in October to have tubes, ovaries and appendix removed. So, I have been off work a lot. I just got back to work the week of Thanksgiving. Then, the first week of December, I had to have a Colonoscopy and was off 3 more days. During my time off, I didn't receive any pay, as we don't have sick leave there. I had been there 3 months as a temp, and was only hired by them in February 2003.

So, with all this, I got behind in my bills and had been trying to play catch-up and now this. They told me to sign up for unemployment and I am thankful that I will be able to get that, but, it isn't like working. I really liked the job and am going to miss it and my co-workers a lot.

I know they always say that things happen for a reason, but when things first happen, it is really hard to see the logic of it all.
I am 54 yrs. old and it isn't real easy for someone my age to get a job. I just hope that I will be able to find another one.

I know that there are people worse off than I am and I am thankful for what I have in my life, but I am just feeling down tonight and just needed to vent.

Thanks for listening and I wish all of you the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2004, 06:16 PM
Upsetting News

Dear Tatermist03, I am so sorry to hear about your situation. No matter what they say on the news, the economy is still poor and it is affecting many people negatively. I wish you all the best. Let's hope that there is a better position out there for you and that you find it quickly...along with improved health.
Unread 01-05-2004, 09:10 PM
Upsetting News

Hi Sweetie

From one 54 year old to another I can well understand about the job situation. If only employers realised us 'oldies' have a wealth of life experience to offer them. It's such a youth orientated world these days which I find quite sad in a way. All ages have something to offer.

That said, I'm sure there's a job out there with your name on it, and I sure hope it wings your way soon.

Wishing you all the very best.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2004, 09:26 PM
Upsetting News

Oh my, when rains it really pours.Each one of us has a different loss. I lost a job I really liked a long time ago because all the the chilren got sick. Then I got sick. I got fired because I got sick. It ws a terrible time. Now I am a stay home mother because of hysterectomy and a preemie birth. I was diagnosed with cancer at 3 months pregant. Which was a shock in itself. I knew I could not have children. My uterus was damaged due to violence and I had diabetes before pregancy. It was a shock. Both my husband and I are double handicapped making it hard to find work. I graduted colled as a BA socialworker right before the hyst. Life changes in many unexpected ways. Maybe something good will coje for you too. The good thing is thru al lthe suffering I can stay home and raise my preeemie child.
Unread 01-06-2004, 09:32 PM
Upsetting News

Thank you all for your support. It seems when something like this happens it takes awhile for the shock to wear off and for a persons life to move on again in a positive direction.

I got up today and didn't know what to do with myself. I had a headache and felt drained. I just didn't seem interested in doing anything. I am hoping that tomorrow will be better.

I am so thankful for this site. I come here often.
All of you take care.
Unread 01-07-2004, 05:27 AM
Upsetting News

Dear (((Tater))),

Several of my friends have also experienced lay offs and were on unemployment. While on unemployment they were determined to make the most of any training programs that were offered to them. They kept themselves stimulated with the free programs and the opportunity to update and revise their resumes. One gal took advantage of employee asssitance counseling (EAP) from her job and was assisted in defining her current goals and strengths. It took several months, but they now have new positions and are once again dealing with the time crunch of work, family and trying to fit in a social life. I just put this little piece here to hopefully encourage you to expect things to improve and other opportunities to open up. These gals were all in their 50's too..... a fine age! (smile)

Wishing you great possibilities too,
Tedi
Unread 01-07-2004, 10:29 AM
Upsetting News

Hi Tatermist,

No sage advice here, just a .

Sharon
Unread 01-08-2004, 02:24 PM
Upsetting News

Dear Tatermist, So sorry to hear about the unexpected job loss but glad at least you will get unemployment benefits. While it may be difficult financially, perhaps after all your recent surgery/ hospital stays, you really could use a little more "downtime" to rest and recuperate. Please take good care of youself and let us know how you are doing.
Many s, peggiesue
Unread 01-09-2004, 05:00 PM
Upsetting News

I am beginning to think the saying is true that things happen for a reason. I took losing my job really hard and would give anything to have it back, but I think that God does have other plans for me.

The idea of taking some classes and brushing up on my skills sounds really good to me. I am going to check and see if my recent lay off qualifies me for any educational programs out there.

Last night I had to go to the emergency room because of my left leg swelling. I have developed phlebitis and had to have a doppler test today to see if I had any blood clots. The test showed that I didn't but there is infection and I am on an antibiotic. I am suppose to keep leg elevated and off it as much as possible, so this gives me an opportunity to do as told.

I appreciate all your kind words and ecouragement. I wish all of you the best in your recoveries.

Take Care
Unread 01-10-2004, 08:26 AM
Upsetting News

Hi (((Tater))),

It was great to see your post and read about your creative ways of problem solving and redirecting your energies. This could be an opportunity~ in disguise~ that will allow you to do what you always dreamed of doing with your life.

Warmest, healing thoughts go out to you for your leg and the recent phlebitis pain. Take care and please do stay open to the good things in you life. It can be a challenge...I know.

Kudos to you on your ability to be proactive,
Tedi

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register