what happens when rectocele is repaired? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

what happens when rectocele is repaired? what happens when rectocele is repaired?

Unread 01-06-2004, 01:30 PM
what happens when rectocele is repaired?

What does the surgery involve? I have not been able to get in to my doc yet because of weather being so bad here. I am afraid of being down for another 4 to 6 weeks. I am still not sleeping well and hear every noise from my babies room...they are 10 months old now and been sleeping through the night for a while. The whole idea of having another surgery is frightening and the thought of having someone mess around with my rear end scares me even more. I'm thinking that my bladder is slipping down also. I can handle the hysterectomy that was about the same as a c-sect for me, but the extreme privats of the bowels creeps me out. I dont even let my hubby touch me there and now I am going to have a doctor or even doctors mess with me. I have enough trouble doing BM's and I dont want it to hurt, plus with reading the posts about ladies having to wear leg bags for weeks...EEEEKKK! If I need any of this I will be house bound the entire time, I just know it. I am too self conscious about potty stuff. Dang I wish this snow would let up so I can talk to the Dr about what is needed. Then maybey I would be scaring myself so much. But when I did a BM this morning I felt like my bowels had rerouted themselves through my vagina. I had to put them back before anything would release its self. I am just about ready to stop eating so this will stop, but I know that wont solve any thing...maybey I should eat more so it will do it for the doc???

Okay I am rambling, but I do that when I dont know excatly what is going on. Then again I know what my bowel is doing I just hope the doc listens to me when I finally see him and he can put it back where it belongs.

Any words of encouragement are appreciated and info on the repair surgery also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2004, 04:50 PM
hello, hope your weather eases soon

in meantime hope this may help with your questions on rectocele.

First thing, it's not the same as anal prolapse, I didn't have anything inserted in my anus. It's where part of the large bowel bulges forward into the cavity behind the vagina, but each organ is still encapsulated in their own sheath ( don't panic about poos in vagina, that's something totally different!).

I had a cystocele repair done at same time even though I had no problems with urine leakage. Celes are repaired through the vagina which is then stitched with dissolving stitches. I healed fine from all cele surgery, no ongoing issues at all but check out maximum weight lifting restrictions, I don't lift over 15 lbs if I can avoid it and have been advised max. for me 25-30 lbs for life.

You can probably expect a catheter for a short time, packing in vagina to control bleeding - again, only for a short time, and at least 6-8 weeks before anything in vagina. Stool softeners and laxatives need to be checked with your surgeon as some are much too strong for our organs after surgery, but you will not want to get constipated.

A search on this site leads to lots of posts and websites, many with clear diagrams to show where and what 'celes are. If you're queasy stick to the drawings and avoid the real images, most sites warn if a image is graphic as we all have different tolerances.

I hope you soon find the answers and reassurance you so naturally need. Keep in touch, Linda
Unread 01-06-2004, 05:21 PM

I had TVH with A& P repairs six months ago. Repairs were done by cutting a triangle out of the vaginal wall, front and back, and stitching them closed. I figure kind of like a dart in sewing. It is a longer healing time for the repairs but it is not something I can honestly say I was aware of. What was obvious right away was better elimination! I had bladder, uterus and bowel prolapses with bladder the worst, really hiding the other problems. I had no catheter, no bleeding but light discharge for several weeks, needed no pain meds after the hospital stay and bowels worked after 1 week. The worst part was sitting! Get a donut cushion if you can. I couldn't find one so sat on a pillow for 4 weeks. And I was tired! But all is well now. Best wishes to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2004, 08:43 PM

Oh ((((sweetie))))) I'm so sorry you're looking at yet another surgery

I had a rectocele repaired at the same time as my hyst and must admit that that part of the surgery brought more concerns to me than the hyst part. However, it wasn't that at all.

I only had a cath for that first night and early the next morning. And that was due to the hyst, not the posterior repair. The repair was done through the vagina, not the anus and resulted in much easier elimination.

There was pain, but the pain came from the perineal incision and was easily managed with Extra Strength Tylenol. After a week or so, it was a thing of the past, unless I sat for prolonged periods.

To help with the recovery, be sure to ask for a peri bottle while you're in the castle: when filled with warm water, you can spray the episiotomy area, for instant relief. I also used my "tummy pillow" to sit on, in order to limit the strain on the perineal stitches. That made the ride home a whole lot more bearable.

All in all, the rectocele repair part of the surgery wasn't so bad and brought a lot of relief along with it. Just remember that you'll need to protect those repairs in order to avoid further prolapse.

Sending lots of soothing your way. Please keep us posted.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register