Abnormal Mammogram - Cancerhead | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Abnormal Mammogram - Cancerhead Abnormal Mammogram - Cancerhead

Unread 01-06-2004, 05:59 PM
Abnormal Mammogram - Cancerhead

Hi all,
Here I am asking for support again. I had a mammogram yesterday and two "suspicious areas" showed up in my right breast. Naturally, because of the cancers last year, there is great concern. I am being scheduled for a sonogram next week to indicate if more tests and/or treatment are necessary.

Now I know, if this is more cancer it is good it was found now. But I'm scared all over again. I do regular self-exams and have not, and still can't feel the lumps. My physical exam a few weeks ago was fine too. I am hoping and praying they are nothing more than cysts.

When the technician came back yesterday and told me the radiologist wanted extra angles taken, and then a followup sonogram, I just burst into tears and couldn't stop crying. It's funny, because last year in spite of everything, I cried very little. For some reason, this time it seems almost overwhelming.

I am doing my best to remain calm and clear, but that cancerhead won't stop chattering. Things have been going so well and I have felt like I was getting my life back together again. I'm also angry (irrational maybe, but there) because I should be celebrating my one year NED, and then this pops up. How dare it rain on my parade!

My doctor phoned today while I was out (we keep playing phone tag) so she could go over the the report in depth. I will be talking with her tomorrow. I don't anticipate getting much sleep tonight..... I'll post more when I know more.

Well, thanks for listening. Keep me in your prayers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2004, 06:02 PM

Hi Moonflower,

I sure hope that all is ok. I have to have a mammogram soon and know the panic feeling well.

Keep us up to date.

Rosalie
Unread 01-06-2004, 06:17 PM

Hi Moonflower,

So sorry you have to go through another scare. I am praying that it is just a scare.

In November, a bone scan taken due to back pain showed a hot spot. I was sure I had bone mets. (Cancer head came knocking.) We waited forever for a bone biopsy, and then the results. But the moral of the story is that it came back clear.

Your tests will too.

Sharon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2004, 06:49 PM

Know how hard you've worked with your diet and food choices and cleansing, etc. I am in awe of your commitment to good health thru eating and positive thinking and I've learned so much from your posts.

Cancerhead *****...... Have to go for a CAT scan and chest x-ray later this month and already am feeling a bit wacko.

Good thoughts and prayers are with you. Hoping all will be well.
Unread 01-06-2004, 06:58 PM

I am praying it is just begign cysts and you will soon be celebrating. My scan in Oct, showed a shadow, and it scared me, even though they said it was probably inflammation from the surgery. It is hard not to worry,
Unread 01-06-2004, 07:05 PM

Dear Moonflower,

I was so sad to see your name next to the title of this post! But I am hoping and praying that it is just nothing. I keep hearing -- from actual people I know (not friends of friends of an uncle's friend) about little weird stuff that shows up in the body . . . and then disappears. Whether it is tumors or shadows or other stuff . . . they just vanish. I think the body deals with a lot of stuff on its own. I am hoping that your "suspicious" areas are just nothing or, that if they are something, they're easily dealt with.

Right after they found my tumor and told me about it, they sent me downstairs for a mammogram to make sure I didn't have another primary. They couldn't take me for three hours. My mom and I went to a friend of mine's house who lived nearby, and I sat and cried for three straight hours (without ever telling my friend what the problem was -- and she didn't ask), and then I cried through the entire mammogram. The fact that it came back clear was a happy, happy day for me.

Please let us know what your doctor says when you speak with her tomorrow. I will be thinking about you a lot until I hear from you, as I'm sure everyone else will be.

By the way . . . I'm sure you'll find it funny to learn that I so ate too much chocolate during Christmas. I tried to eat well, but then I had to have pie. And chocolate cookies. After a week and a half of that, I got scared and am now back to healthier eating. It was fun while it lasted, I guess. I hope I haven't done any damage. I think I'll do that colon cleanse thing soon. :-)

s and prayers to you, Moonflower! It. Will. Be. NOTHING.
Unread 01-06-2004, 08:02 PM

Dear Moonflower,
I will be praying that this is nothing at all. Let us know what happens.

and ,
Rhonda
Radical hysterectomy, June 2002, cervical cancer, 1b
Unread 01-06-2004, 08:20 PM

I have been through this several times. I have the mammagram, then the sonogram, then go to the surgeon 'just to be sure' and it's always fine. Each time it was lumps, cysts, milk ducts, something other than cancer. The same thing has happened to so many of my friends. With lawsuits being so common, many doctors want to be very, very, sure, so they send you for more and more tests and to see more doctors. I believe it is referred to as CYA.

I understand your sleep problems. I had a 3 month check up today. It was great! But I have had touble sleeping for the last week, worrying about the appointment. I got a perscription for Ambien and I take melatonin. When you talk to your doctor ask her if she will phone in a perscription for Ambien. It's not addictive and even half of one works for me when I am worried and stressed.

Cry if you want to! You don't deserve this extra hassel. Chances are it will be fine, but you shouldn't have to be dealing with this junk!

Hugs,
Janie
Unread 01-06-2004, 09:20 PM

Sorry to hear about your scare, Moonflower. I had a similar concern come up when I first found out about my possible gynocological cancer. I had a mammogram scheduled and went in 2 days after the doc told me my CA 125 was elevated and I'd have to have surgery. A week later they called to say they wanted me back for more tests because of suspicious areas in my right breast. I thought for sure I was shot through with cancer. Turned out to be a cluster of cysts. I hope it's the same for you. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts.

Limbo
Unread 01-07-2004, 12:47 PM
Latest Update

Hello friends,
Thanks to all you lovely women for your comforting words. They help so much, and I don't feel so alone trying to fight back cancerhead! As much as well meaning family and friends try to help, they can't understand the emotions that still linger after going through cancer diagnosis and treatment. They figure you are doing fine now, so what's the big deal?

Anyway, I just got off the phone with my doctor. The report says there are three, not two as first thought, round lumps! One is about an inch, one is half an inch, and the last is tiny. There are no signs of calcification. She said her gut feel is that this is a cluster of cysts, but of course more tests will need to be done. Right now that is the sonogram. She knows I love to do research, but told me to stop it so I don't scare myself. She said it is important not to project too much until we have a clearer understanding of what is going on. Sage advice, now I just have to hush the chatter in my head!

The sonogram was originally scheduled for this coming Tuesday, but the hospital called and said they had a 10:30 cancellation Friday and did I want the spot. Naturally I jumped at the chance to get it over with. It means going through the weekend not knowing, but still seems better than waiting until next week.

----SirenSong: You always crack me up with your dietary confessions. It's hard to stick with it sometimes, isn't it? I broke my diet at Christmas with cherries jubilee and pumpkin cheesecake, plus a neighbor brought me a plate of homemade goodies! And that's only the sugar. Baked ham, a hot cream cheese crab dip, stuffed mushrooms, warm french bread - well, you get the idea. Naughty!!! But I'm back on track, though after my mammogram the only food that appealed to me was french fries from MacDonalds! There is just something about the comfort of junk food.

----KatrinaKay: I noticed you are in Southern Oregon. Me too - Ashland to be exact. Where are you? PM or email me if you'd like.

Well, that's it for now. I am off to see my acupuncturist. A treatment plus her warmth and nurturing are something I need right now. Thank you all again - I don't know what I'd do without you.

s to all.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register