Possible uterine cancer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Possible uterine cancer Possible uterine cancer

Unread 01-06-2004, 07:13 PM
Possible uterine cancer

I am 47.I had breast cancer 5 years ago and just finished taking the Tamoxifen. I have been experiencing abdominal pain off and on since July. My regular Dr. said it was nothing. Went to an ob-gyn in Nov who was very thorough. My pap came out negative, as did blood work. She did an ultrasound with probe in Dec and it showed my lining at "15"? She now wants to do a biopsy. If there is anything even close to possibly being or becoming cancer I planned on having a hysterectomy w/ovaries done. I had a total mastectomy when I found out I had cancer. I don't know if that is the right thing to do. Any opinions? I value everyone's opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2004, 08:11 PM
Possible uterine cancer

Why did you have an ultrasound done? Because of the abdominal pain? What did your doctor say the '15' meant? Why is she doing an endometrial biopsy? Does she suspect enometrial cancer? Have you had any other symptoms? Spotting or Bleeding between periods?

I wouldn't be quick to want a hysterectomy as it is major surgery and can have major complications.

My opinion is that should wait to see that the biopsy results show. There are many reasons for the lining of the uterus to be thick, including where you are in your cycle. Are you still in pain? Could this be a GI problem rather than a gyn problem?

I hope you get it figured out soon!
Hugs,
Janie
Unread 01-07-2004, 02:32 PM
Possible uterine cancer

Dear Big,

I'm sorry that you are having such difficulties.

The 15 is referring to the thickness of the uterine lining.

When the uterine lining thickens it becomes known as hyperplasia. Hyperplasia may or may not lead to precancer.

Fortunately, uterine cancer can be a very treatable thing.

I myself have taken an unusually "conservative" path. I was diagnosed w/endometrial (uterine) cancer, and despite being told to have a hysterectomy by my first doctor, I decided to try to reverse it w/progestins... and it seems to have worked.

Over the course of time, I have become to see cancer as more of a metabolic process that I hope to control thru dietary changes (cutting coffee and alcohol as much as I can) and some supplemental hormones vs surgery. The supplemental hormones I have are in the form of a hormonal IUD called the Mirena which is good for 5 years and is very low dose but direct.

I'm very happy w/the path I have chosen, though it can be very tough for all of us to know what's best in the long run.

I tend to believe that the ..how can i say it.. mechanisms of breast cancer aren't quite as well understood as they are w/uterine cancer, .. and I believe that many women try to fight against having surgery for uterine precancer with very good success. It is a very personal choice.

Pat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2004, 02:55 PM
Possible uterine cancer

Women who have taken tamoxifen for breast cancer are at an increased risk of endometrial cancer. The endometrium is the lining of the uterus.

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/NWS/co...ial_Cancer.asp

Your doc is doing exactly the right thing by carefully doing a follow-up. It is suggested that thinknesses over about 7-8 be followed up by biopsy.

A hysterectomy is a common treatment for endometrial cancer.

Dorrie
Unread 01-07-2004, 03:17 PM
Possible Uterine Cancer

The endometrial lining can be thick for a number of reasons. One can be endometrial cancer, but it could be a part of your cycle as well... I had an ultrasound done that indicated a thickening beyond the "normal range" for a "menapausal" woman. (Who knew?? ) Anyway, I was sent for an endobiopsy which did indicate an early endometrial cancer, grade 1. I had a tah/bso in April and the pathology showed that it was in fact early, superficial and I'm considered cured through surgery.

I hope yours comes out ok. You've been round the bush before and if it should be cancer, it's the "best kind to have".. they say!! I'd say NO cancer is the best kind, but seriously.. I'm glad I got so lucky! Good luck. Keep us posted.. you have many sisters here who've been around the bush as well.. and are doing great!
Unread 01-08-2004, 12:09 PM
Possible uterine cancer

biglittleone,

I am also a breast cancer survivor. Just had a hysterectomy due to large fibroids and endometrial hyperplasia. My biopsies kept coming back normal but my endometial lining was 23 mm and 14 mm thick. The hyperplasia can be controlled with progestrone (Provera) BUT this is contraindicated with breast cancer patients. I have been putting the hysterectomy off because I wasn't ready to lose the ovaries just yet. My oncologist and breast surgeon both wanted me to have the hysterectomy! Taking the Tamoxifen can be the reason for the thickening and it can eventually led to cancer.

I had my left mastectomy on 8-30-02, right mastectomy 12-30-02, and it was the right thing for me. I had the DaVinci assisted Laproscopic Supracervical Hysterectomy/ BSO on 12-30-03, and so far it has been the right thing for me. My biggest complaint would have to be all of these hot flashes and not being allowed to take HRT! After having cancer once, I just wanted to do whatever it took not to have to deal with it again. I am at more peace knowing I have done what I can to prevent any recurrances. Cancer is so unpredictable and I never under-estimate it's power!

You will need to think through all of your options and do what you are comfortable with. Good Luck
Unread 01-09-2004, 08:56 PM
Possible uterine cancer

Thickening of the uterine lining can (emphasis on can) be a forerunner of cancer but not necessarily so. if feasible and perhaps after further testing by your gyn, you may want to seek out other medical opinions including those of a gyn/oncs.
fyi, from my consultations with several doctors (one an onc) when I was trying to avoid a hysterectomy (after several indications pointed to possible endo cancer) was that there was a much better success rate in using hormones to correct thick linings (that could move toward cancer) in women under 50 than in those 50 or older.
my prayers are with you. s peggiesue
Unread 01-10-2004, 08:32 AM
p.s.

Some women have used hormonal IUDs, like the Mirena I mentioned above, alone to treat assumed early stage endometrial cancer.
Unread 01-10-2004, 01:26 PM
Possible uterine cancer

biglittleone,

My mother had breast cancer 3 years ago and was treated with Tamoxifen. She began spotting (last summer) and they did an ultrasound and found thickening of the lining as well. Her dr had her stop the tamoxifen (not an option for you) and put her on Irimidex. They did a biopsy (d&c ?) and found out everything was normal. I would also just wait for the result back from your biopsy, Tamoxifen caused my Mom's thickening, but it was fine and now they will monitor her closely.

Take care,

Jaime-

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register