Personal, but I have to ask.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Personal, but I have to ask.... Personal, but I have to ask....

Unread 01-07-2004, 07:55 AM
Personal, but I have to ask....

Does anyone know can they still perform a TVH when if you surgery date is during your menstrual cycle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2004, 08:09 AM

Hi, that didn't happen to me but I've read a lot of posts here that it doesn't seem to matter at all. They just give you a pad and proceed on. If you're concerned maybe you could call your dr and ask.

Best wishes.

s
Unread 01-07-2004, 09:05 AM

I don't think it matters. I had my LAVH/BSO on 12/5. One of my major complaints was constant bleeding. It started in February and seemed to never let up. I talked with my doctor before-hand and he said it didn't matter.

I had my surgery outpatient and I was worried about what to use on the day of my surgery since I knew they would tell me to compeletly undress when I got to the facility. During my pre-op visit with the surgery facility I explained that I would be bleeding the morning of my surgery and asked how they wanted me to handle it. They said on the morning of my surgery to use a pad and when I got there and was taken back make sure I told the nurse that was over my pre-op (getting me into the gown, starting the IV, putting on the monitoring stuff, etc.). Since I wasn't going to be up moving around or anything, she had me put my underwear in the bag with my other clothes and she gave me a pad (without the sticky stuff) to place between my legs and put a plastic-backed cover over the bed just in case. She said it wasn't a big deal and a lot of women had the same problem on their surgery day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2004, 09:16 AM
Personal

Thanks arnoldbk for the helpful words! More common than I thought...
Unread 01-07-2004, 09:36 AM

A lot of women on here ask. I don't think the docs care that much since they are going to be seeing blood anyways.

I was bleeding when I had my D&C. The pre-op nurse wasn't that with it, but I told her I would keep my panties on since I was bleeding. When it finally came time, they gave me the choice of taking them off or letting them do it when I was under. I wasn't bleeding that heavily so I took them off myself and they discarded the pad and then they tucked my panties into my bag of belongings. They had me all covered up and were protectign my modesty, but I knew I was going to be naked and spread eagle in front of them in a matter of minutes.

One of those maternity pads without the sticky stuff probably would have been easier...
Unread 01-07-2004, 09:56 AM

hi... i actually started my period whilst waiting to go down for surgery.... it made no difference at all... surgery went ahead and i am sure the same will apply to you... i wish you well.. mary. xx
Unread 01-07-2004, 10:43 AM

Hello! Yep, I got my period the day before my surgery. For the first time in a looong time, I didn't care! When I went in pre-op I told my nurse (male-be prepared it's possible. again, I didn't care but some women might) and he said no problem & got me one of those big bed pads to lie on. I suppose a pad between my legs have been a help in addition, but Iwas so thrilled to be done menstruation, if they told to stand on my head in the middle of the room, I would have done it. I'm 9 days post-op (vaginal) and I feel great! I did have alot of nasua and vomiting first 15 hours post-op and getting the right drug to stop it took several attempts (I had a spinal) but I forced myself out of bed the next day and haven't stopped since. I even drove yesterday (with Docs permission ) and will be doing a little office work today and tommorrow, but lots of relaxing too. (my usual speed is break-neck) good luck & don't worry. Enjoy the new you that is to come!

p.s. If you have any worries about sex drive-maybe this is TMI but I feel more sexual then before & with the no sex for 6 weeks rule I have a hard time being in the same room with my husband with out fantising!
Unread 01-07-2004, 11:44 AM

No problem with the bleeding. If there was I would never had been able to have the surgery! When I went to the ob-gyn for my first exam to see what was needed, sure enough bleeding. I appoligized profusely and told him if I waited until I wasn't there was no use making an appointment. It was embarassing but he was very gracious.

So when I went for surgery, sure enough I had to tell him it was the same way. He said no problem.

Good Luck
Val
Unread 01-07-2004, 01:26 PM

Same here.
i started my period 2 days before surgery, so it was definitely the Red Tide when surgery day came. They just put a big ol' Chux pad under me!

Fluffy Lemur
Unread 01-07-2004, 02:09 PM

Auntie Flo made her last appearance the night before I had surgery. It made no difference. I still had to do the betadine douche. Then, I had to remove my tampon and put on their nice air conditioned holey mesh underwear and a hospital pad. I went into surgery with it on.. it was still on when I woke up from anesthesia (actually it was a new one. LOL)

Most ladies have their surgery for prolonged bleeding so it isnt uncommon to go in for a hysterectomy and be bleeding. They even asked me when I went back to get changed for surgery if I was bleeding so that they could give me the mesh undies and one of their mattress sized pads.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register