Repair hernia with TAH? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Repair hernia with TAH? Repair hernia with TAH?

Unread 01-08-2004, 07:23 AM
Repair hernia with TAH?

I recently was diagnosed with bilateral inguinal hernias from my primary physician. I was wondering if anybody had repair of the hernias during surgery for their hysterectomy? I will ask my Gyne during my next visit....but thought I could get some of your input and suggestions now.

Thanks,
Handy-Mam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2004, 07:49 AM
you are not alone!

I am having an umbilical hernia repaired during my hysterectomy. I have not received a surgery date yet. My doctor says it is a fairly common procedure-easy to fix and will be best to do it all at once. I hope yours goes well. Take extra time to heal afterwards because though we cannot see all the stiches on the outside, does not mean they are not there so don't be in a rush to resume activity. God bless.
Tracy
Unread 01-08-2004, 06:31 PM
Repair hernia with TAH?

Thanks for your prompt reply Tracy. Wishing you the best!

My concern is the proximity of the TAH incision and the inguinal hernias (within inches of each other). I really hope I can have both repaired at the same time. I do not want to have to recover from two seperate surgeries back to back. I would go insane.

I would appreciate any more responses.

Thanks again,
Handy-Mam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2004, 07:19 PM
Repair hernia with TAH?

Hello Handymam! I've still yet to be scheduled for surgery, but it will either be the week after next or the last week in January! I have a rectocele (rectal hernia) and need bladder repair as well as a TVH (so they say) and two surgeons (obg & urologist) insist upon doing all three proceedures together for the very reason of Not having to recover twice and being put under only once......I hope this helps!

God Bless

Erin
Unread 01-09-2004, 06:18 PM
Repair hernia with TAH?

Thanks for your response Erin. I apologize for taking so long to respond back. I have been so busy trying to ready my household for the possible upcoming surgery. I wish you well with your upcoming surgery.

I have an embarrasing question. What are some of the symptoms experienced when one is in need of a rectocele? I have been dealing with a problem for 28 years and just realized it is not normal.

After the birth of my daughter I found I could not have a bowel movement unless I pressed firmly on the tissue between my vagina and my rectum. I have been doing this so long it just became part of my routine. I do not have pain. Is this a symptom of a herniated rectum?

Thanks,
Handy-Mam
Unread 01-10-2004, 11:25 AM
Repair hernia with TAH?

Hello Handy-Mam,

In answer to your question - absolutely! I had no idea I even had one until I had a reason to check something out down there with a mirror - :silly I could actually see the tissue protrude when I would bear down. I just underwent extensive testing yesterday to not only determine the severity of the rectocele but also found out I also have a cistocelle (sp) a hernia of the bladder as well. This doc was so awesome and the technology she used was not new, but incredibly expensive for a doc to have, and they are the only ones in the are with this machine. It was so cool. But just tell your doc what you told me and have them check you out. I made my first doc actually watch down there as I beared down and then he finally saw it and the race was on to the point I'm at right now. Let me know what your doc says, but I'd be shocked if they said that you don't have a rectocele! (which I think you know is a hernia of the rectum! Sorry if my spelling is incorrect, but you know what I mean!

Take Care,

Erin

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register