1st Chemo Done! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

1st Chemo Done! 1st Chemo Done!

Unread 01-08-2004, 04:12 PM
1st Chemo Done!

After radiation went to lunch with sister and Mom and then off to Chemo they were allowed in the treatment room and home now all is well. I'll touch base tomorrow.

Thanks sisters for all your support
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2004, 07:50 PM
1st Chemo Done!

Helen,
Congrats! The first chemo is the worst because we don't know what to expect. I am glad that it is behind you. It must have been a short session for you if you could do it all after lunch. My first session took 4 and 1/2 hours! The other sessions were a little shorter except for one when I had a reaction to too much Zofran.

Hang in there, you'll get through this!

Hugs,
Janie
Unread 01-08-2004, 09:02 PM
Good!

That first one is the hardest. How many more now will you have? Just think how any remaining cancer cells were surprised this afternoon--they're now toast!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2004, 09:14 PM
1st Chemo Done!

Denton56 and Margaret321 the radiation was first and only takes a few minutes I had a 1 12 hours break between so we went to lunch the chemo start to finish was then 3 1/2 hours I had no appetite when I came home feel a "little" spacey have been drinking water and will now go off to dreamy land and see what tomorrow brings, I understand that its 5 treatments of cisplatin every Thursday along with the daily radiation.
Unread 01-08-2004, 09:53 PM
1st Chemo Done!

Wow, Helen! You are a real trooper for doing your first chemo on the same day as radiation. I had a few sessions of chemo under my belt before I started the daily radiation.

Good for you! I, too, felt a little spacey after the chemo treatments. You'll be thrilled when it's over.

Hope the side effects are minimal and that the treatment packs a real whoopin' for any remaining cancer cells!
Unread 01-08-2004, 11:32 PM
1st Chemo Done!

Helen,
I had the same treatment except that I did not have surgery first and I had 6 chemos rather than 5. My tumor was over 4cm so they couldn't operate.

I always felt best on the day that I had radiation and chemo because of the steriods. But that also meant I had trouble sleeping because I was jazzed up.
But that was ok because I felt so good.

I will warn you that if you are taking Zofran the constipation will be wicked until the radiation effects kick in. I had never had constipation before so I had NO idea how uncomfortable it is. I used Peri Colace, as the Dr recommended and that helped a lot. By the third week of chemo/radiation, that was no longer a problem.

It really helped me to have a chart and mark off each radiation and chemo. It helped to see the progress. We celebrated every little milestone, particularly when I got to single digits on radiation!

This whole thing isn't as bad as you would think. Just think, 5 weeks and it's over! Yeah!
Hugs,
Janie
Unread 01-08-2004, 11:41 PM
To Maureenie

I was treated for cervical cancer so perhaps my treatment plan was different than yours. When I had treatment I HAD to have the chemo and radiation at the same time, beginning the same week. The doctors said that the chemo boasted the effects of the radiation so they had to be done together. I couldn't begin one without also beginning the other one. So every Monday I had both radiation and chemotherapy. Some fun, huh? I chose Monday so that if I had problems I would be recuperated by the weekend. My friend chose Friday so that she had the weekend to recuperate before returning to work on Monday. Everyone has different preferences.

Were you being treated for cervical cancer or something else? It seems the protocols are different for different types of cancer AND different doctors do it different too! And every way of doing it seems to have advantages and disadvantages. It's no picnic doing radiation and chemo together, but at least we got them both completed together. I started both together and was done with both the same time too!

Hugs,
Janie
Unread 01-09-2004, 09:23 AM
1st Chemo Done!

Denton56

Diagnosis was endocarcinoma of the cervix. So it's cervical cancer the Chemo they told me would be every Thursday and I am glad to be doing both at the same time and my doctor also said that the chemo will boost effects of the radiation.

I was surprised I only felt really tired and not sick at all the Dr had me taking the Zofran before and they added some other in the IV and I am taking the Zofran 2 days after.

You are right about the keeping score it's helping and giving me a focus date. I was so afraid before the chemo I couldn't stand it. Now I have no more "new surprises" I hope

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register