Sigmoidoscopy, ADhesions, IBS | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sigmoidoscopy, ADhesions, IBS Sigmoidoscopy, ADhesions, IBS

Unread 01-08-2004, 04:16 PM
Sigmoidoscopy, ADhesions, IBS

Hi EVeryone,

Today I had one of those lovely sigmoidoscopy tests. Since I am having continuing pain, and the area of my left ovary seems to be getting worse, the Gyn wanted to make sure my colon was OK before I have the PSN surgery... It would be a bummer to have the surgery and then find out I had a bowel problem all along.

It went fine. The doctor was nice. I was so nervous... I think I am just tired of people looking up my rear end.

During the test the doctor mentioned I had several unusual kinks which he said could mean adhesions. He also said the colon seemed spastic... I had been wondering about this for a couple weeks because I had been having quite a time with my gut the last couple of weeks.... so hopefully since I usually don't, it will be easy to treat that problem. (I am really keeping my fingers crossed I don't start having some different chronic problem now ).

ANyway, he does not think I have inflammatory bowel (?) causing the adhesions but told me he suspects the left ovary and/or the hysterectomy.

Anyway, I guess I can add IBS to my signature but hopefully it will stay sporadic and mild (I have been feeling quite stressed about the holidays and surgery etc so I just need to calm down... yeah right!!) .... and my colon is apparently not the cause of the bad area of pain but either my left ovary or adhesions.

Thanks for listening. Can they really tell you have adhesions from a "kinky" bowel? Are some people just kinky to begin with?

Many ((hugs)) fellow road travelers!

Sarah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2004, 05:03 PM
chronic pelvic pain

I too have suffered from chronic abdominal pain for 2 yrs. I have endured test after test. I had a TAH 18 mo ago, but have had major problems with ovarian cysts ever since. My GI doc suspects multiple areas of adhesions and says the ovaries should probably come out. I see my GYN tomorrow and am afraid I'm facing some major surgery. Anyone else been down this road?
Unread 01-08-2004, 05:26 PM

Sarah,
The sigmoidoscopy is one test I've never had. I think I've had just about every other GI test. I do have ongoing abdominal problems and had been diagnosed with IBS years ago. I have seen some posts here in the past about adhesions causing the kinks.

I hope and that your surgery will be successful and is the answer to your ongoing pain. The IBS by itself can probably be treated with dietary changes and there are some meds now that are suppose to help. So if you get the main problem sorted out perhaps the other can be treated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2004, 09:16 PM

Sarah,

I'm sorry that you have to add IBS to your signature. I suffered from IBS for years before I was given a diagnosis. I was terrified about the sigmoidoscopy because everyone told me how painful it would be. It's never a good day when there's a camera ... well you know where. My sigmoidoscopy went well, though, and it was over in less than two minutes. I hope that your IBS goes into and stays in remission. Did your gastro tell you what type of IBS you have? I suffer from IBS-D, and I take 20 mg of Dicyclomine 4 times a day. It has been a lifesaver for sure. When you live with that kind of pain, you have all the motivation in the world to change your diet.

Christy
Unread 01-08-2004, 09:48 PM

Dear Christy,

THe doctor gave me Beneful to try. I have just been having this awful diarhea for the last couple weeks. I don't usually have so much trouble so I think he thought it would resolve w/o too much trouble. I do hope... I have been having even worse problems since the test......just "water" coming out (sorry). I can't help but wonder if the IBS is reacting to the left ovary(at least it seemed to start after a few days of severe pain on my left side which the Gyn thinks is my ovary)...or maybe my stress goes up when the pain is bad. The Doctor just mentioned that if the left ovary remains after a hyst it can adhere to the colon near the bottom and cause some trouble... I guess I'll know in Feb if it's something like that or just stress...or both.

I sure hope I'm not in the bathroom all day tomorrow too.

Thanks ((Kim))... I know you have struggled for a long time with things like this. ...

Many hugs to you BSN28 too

Sarah
Unread 01-09-2004, 08:29 AM

HI Everyone, I was diagnosed w. IBS about 8 months ago when i was having tests for my GB done.,although I suspect I have had it for years. I have it w/ constipation though, not diarrhea. I was fine after my hyster, but noticed it worse after my GB removal.I am on lactulose at bedtrime to help move things along, but Istill have this sharp pain on my Left side, like I been doing the twist too much.Its right on my L side kinda between my hip and belly button.anyone else ever get this?
My GI orderd a CT scan, but I was unable to drink the contrast last night so I am waiting for him to call me and lemme know what to do.( I also can't do the IV iodine b/c of being allergic).I really was going normally for a while after my Hyst, then this w/ teh GB and that surgery started this all up now
Thanks in advance for any help.
Cheryl
Unread 01-09-2004, 08:59 AM

I was diagnosed with IBS years ago when I was going through a lot of family stressors. About the same time I got an ulcer. After I learned how to deal with stress and tried to eliminate it from my life my IBS just went into remission (it took awhile). Now I think it is back somewhat again. I go from having constipation and not having a bowel movement for 2-3 days. Then I will go 2-3 times that day. It will start out constipated and by the second or third time I almost have diarrhea. I think that it is because my body has been physically stressed from this surgery. I also take 2 pericolace at night. Before, my stressors were more emotional. I do know, Sarah, that my stressors go up when I have pain. If I keep that under control then I am much better off. Good luck in reducing your stress. When I went through some therapy years ago my therapist brought out the fact that I wasn't breathing properly. I had to re-train myself to breath correctly. Now sometimes, I find myself holding my breath or breathing too shallow. Then I go through my little relaxation breathing exercise. I take a big breathe in and repeat to myself, "In with the good air (exhale) out with the bad air". You'd be surprised how that makes you aware of trying to relax. It helps for me.
Kelee
Unread 01-09-2004, 09:13 AM

I am new to the forum - have been reading since Dec when I found out I need a hyst. My date is Feb 18th - this waiting is killing me!

I have had IBS for many years. It went into hiding a few years ago and resurfaced this year. I seem to be having a flare up now and I think it's connected to the stress of this upcoming surgery. I have the C kind - very painful. I have wondered over the years if there is a connection between my colon issues and my female issues - fibroids, endo, cysts, constant bleeding. I bet once they get in there - they will find a tangled mess. That's how it feels anyway.

I am most concerned about the constipation everyone seems to experience after surgery. I ALREADY have problems with that and have to be very careful with meds, fiber, etc to stay regular. Add the bloating of IBS to the mix....I'm really worried about how I'm going to do after the surgery. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

I feel your pain ladies! Sign me ....sick of feeling lousy!
Unread 01-09-2004, 09:47 AM

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

I did not realize that IBS could flare-up and go into remission etc. That is very useful information... I have had alot going on recently in my life along with the medical stuff so I must be internalizing alot of it and not realizing how much it is really bothering me. I am anxious about my upcoming surgery even though I try not to be as well. I used to exercise to relieve stress but have not been able to do that recently due to the pain... maybe it is just a viscious cycle.

I read an article just this morning that indicated there may be a relation between IBS symptoms and sigmoid adhesions. It just said that it appears adhesions in certain places can make IBS smptoms worse. In the study, they "lysed" the sigmoid adhesions and in most of the women their IBS symptoms were greatly reduced after the surgery... The doctor who wrote the article stated that up until that study, doctors had thought the adhesions did not cause any of the bowel problems but the study appeared to show otherwise..... Isn't it that way with so many female problems?

I am still having increased trouble with diarrhea since the test yesterday. I hope my gut starts behaving soon.

Many ((hugs)) to everyone.

Sarah
Unread 01-09-2004, 10:06 AM

Sarah--
I've had IBS for 12 years--evidently if you have Rheumatoid Arthritis, you have a 35% chance of having fibro, and of course IBS goes along with Fibro in many cases.

I have the D-kind of IBS. My life was miserable--i could not live normal life due to the pain, sickness, disabling cramps, and inability to plan anything because of IBS attacks and flares.

I got good control by taking Caltrate +D 200mg, 3x a day--it took about a week to take effect. I learned this from an IBS website.

However, since I had my TAH 9/17---the last horrible IBS flare i had was the night before my surgery. I seem to either be cured or in remission!!! Hallelujah!! I can eat Mexican Food, wings, chili--all those horrible/good things!

I noticed my IBS was definitely stress-related, too. I found I had to be very careful with the fiber--the dose the Dr. prescribed had me doubled over (literally) feeling like my intestines were being shredded in broken glass. I take a tsp of Metamucil in water. any more and it's Barbed Wire Guts.

I do understand the pain, and how awful IBS is--and am grateful i haven't had a flare since 9/16. Now i actually get up in the morning and go poop like a normal person! WOW!!!

Fluffy Lemur

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register