3 days after fistula repair surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 days after fistula repair surgery 3 days after fistula repair surgery

Unread 01-09-2004, 05:47 AM
3 days after fistula repair surgery

Just an update...

Well I'm way too happy to report that I've just now taken my 1st bm and everything 'worked out' well, thanks to stool softeners taken since day 2 and lots of fruit. They don't want you to do any 'straining' for bm's, and the stool softeners do the trick - so do be sure to take 'em after, sisters!

I've been walking around the house during the day with the leg bag..no pain anywhere, just a bit of swelling across my abdomen, but they gave me anti-inflammitories and they seem to be helping.

All in all, things are going great..just gotta keep my sense of humour about the catheter...

Last night I was talking with my 19 year old DS & I said ''excuze me for a minute..I've gotta go to the washroom". He says "Yeah, sure Mom..just don't forget to raise the seat!" Bah hah!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2004, 08:03 AM

Melinda,
I'm so happy that things are going so great for you! And on your ds. Out of the mouths of babes, even though he's not much of a baby anymore.

Unread 01-10-2004, 04:55 AM

Melinda,
I am sooooooooo happy for you. Sounds like your doing great.

How long do you need that cath. in?

I am still in waiting, holding on to my diaper! I wonder if I'd feel naked without having to wear a diaper? Just kidding......I can't wait to get naked! Whoops! I'M BAD!

Keep taking it easy, I don't want you over doing it. But I know you won't.........

Keep makin us smile, Deb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2004, 09:04 AM

Well I'm booked for a 'voiding cystogram' (whatever that is) and another cystoscopy on the 23rd of Jan. I'm crossing all available body parts that they'll take this darned thing out then. (Ok, so I haven't quite made nicey-nice with the cath yet..)

Yesterday, DH took me out to lunch..the bathroom was down 2 flights of stairs & I knew I'd never make it, but needed to empty the leg bag.....

So..necessity breeds invention, right..and of course, I have no modesty left whatsoever..soooo...I opened the car door, DH stood behind me blocking my back..and I pulled up my pant leg & 'let loose' right there in the parking lot! It was quite a liberating experience and I suggest everybody try it at least once!

Unread 01-10-2004, 10:05 AM

Melinda,
Glad to hear you are doing so well I just hope and that my surgery goes as good as yours has. I sure know how you feel about the catheter I think that's my biggest fear because it hurt so bad when I had it for 5 weeks. well you hang in there and continue to update us. all the information you have giving really helps knowing I am facing the same thing soon. 's

Christy
Unread 01-10-2004, 11:18 AM

Christy

I know exactly how you feel..all the anxieties during the waiting period..the 'what ifs' and the fear of the unknown.

I don't know if it's b/c they did the surgery vaginally or what, but I have had NO pain at all. Even right out of surgery..I didn't have the morphine pump, nothing..not even Tylenol and NO pain. That seems so freaky to me..I expected to be in pain.

And talk about bouncing back! I mean, sure, I'm kinda slow but it's not like the recovery from the hyst at all. I have to actually force myself 'not' to do stuff..from the 1st day home.

One thing I didn't realize is that I'd have a bit of blood (spotting) afterwards. Nobody mentioned that would be the case, so when I was in my bed after, the nurse asked me 'how much spotting are you having?' & I had to check..there's hardly any & now it's like 'old' brownish blood, if any. I'm still wearing a pad though until it stops completely. My abdomen is a bit swollen, but I guess that's par for the course, all things considered..they've got me on anti-inflammitories, cipro, ditropan (to prevent bladder spasms..haven't had any yet) and stool softeners..which I really gotta cut down on..went 3X this morning..oh brother!

I'm praying for you Christy..for all of my fistula sisters..and I think about you every day!!!!!
Unread 01-10-2004, 06:30 PM

Mel:
thanks so much for posting such inspiring stories for We the Damp. I'm glad your recovery is going so well!!!
I hope mine goes as well, since I'm having it done abdominally.

With your leg bag, you can go around town and mark fire hydrants if you want, and confuse the town doggies!!!

Remember, our Virtual Pad Burning Party!

Maybe we could have a Distance Event with our catheter bags, too!!!

Fluffy Lemur
Unread 01-10-2004, 07:57 PM
too funny

Melinda,
Unread 01-10-2004, 07:59 PM
too funny

Melinda,
You are in great spirit! I know everything is on the right track now. You must have a great dr. as it sounds like all is working well. Praying for a smooth dry recovery for you.
Cindy
Unread 01-11-2004, 04:46 PM

Hey Fistula Sisters,

My fistula happened after my September 2002 surgery (uretero-vaginal) and resolved with wearing a stent for a long time and lots of prayer.

It has now been about a year since my final procedure. I just wanted to encourage all of you going through this fistula stuff. Eventually it is all behind you (no pun intended) and becomes only a memory that is hardly given a brain cell.

Here's to your dry future!

MaryJulia

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register