having another surgery. I'm very scared! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

having another surgery. I'm very scared! having another surgery. I'm very scared!

Unread 01-12-2004, 06:14 AM
having another surgery. I'm very scared!

Hey Girls, wow we all have so much going on I am going to the dr.'s office for another pre-op consultation and to the hospital for blood work on Friday, it is getting closer to the surgery date. I still do not think I want to go for that blind study, I have to get though the first surgery, I just looked at my calander from last year and my lap is on the same day as my first lap last year, how weird is that. Not to mention that my new dr. is taking me off my hormones, she told me that I should have never been put on them because of my severe endo, now I am being taken off of them slowly like a drugie!! Please keep in touch and I too will pray for all of us during this diffcult time, no one understands more then us what we are all up-against right now physcially and emotionally. Lots of luck to us all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2004, 06:15 AM

Hey I wanted to tell you my real name it's Mary.
Unread 01-12-2004, 07:55 AM

About nausea, the anesthesiologist put a little patch behind my ear and magically, no nausea from anesthesia. I was told the anti-nausea med was the same thing used to dilate eyes for eye exams, but I wasn't told the name of the med.

Coming out of anesthesia I was shivering. If I'd had a compassionate recovery nurse (I didn't), the warm blanket would have taken care of it. (My nurse gave me a warm blanket AFTER she'd transferred me to a chair, since her goal was to wake me up and get me out of there rather than make me comfortable.) You might mention the coldness issue to your doc and the pre-surgery people. You also might talk to the recovery room before surgery and find out their philosophy on patient care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2004, 08:24 AM

Deb:

Thanks for the hand to hold.

Mary:

I was in a blind study once (at the begining of my endo journey) and I received such incredible care .... kinda spoiled me. That is the one plus side is that all the monitoring they do for the study winds up in a lot of oversight of your general health. Might actually help you as you adjust down your hormones. But then again, you have been through a lot and its not over yet. This has to be your decision. Listen to your inner voice and you'll do the right thing!!!!!!!!

Teresa:

That's terrible. I'm sorry for your experience with that nurse. I've never left from a recovery room after a lap. After the laps, I wake up in a day surgery hospital room and usually am there for hours trying to sleep off the nausea and the effects of the anesthesia. They couldn't get rid of me directly from the recovery room if they tried ... I just don't wake up in time. :LOL:

ALL:

Anti-nausea patch tip: make sure you remove it before you leave the hospital. After my first lap, they told my husband to have me remove it before we left and he forgot and I wound up puking in the car. Not fun.

Healing s
Unread 01-12-2004, 08:28 AM

Laura:
so sorry you are feeling so scared....
ONe of the things i realized to help myself that about 60% of my fear is being scared of being scared...if that makes any sense. I did have several complication post op and am facing another surgery 2/9 for VVF repair.

I'm not scared this time..i tell myself that i have been through the most scarey part---going into the OR and waking up. And thanks to the miracle of modern drugs, most of that memory is a dim blur.

You HAVE been through the worst of it many times--so be extra good to yourself. Ask your dr for Calm Me Down pills, if you need them...my GYN said for me to ask if i needed them.

Keep up posted!!!

Fluffy LEmur
Unread 01-12-2004, 10:52 AM

Thanks Girls!!!! so much !Michelle, Thanks for the info, I am not sure what you meant by the general health not being taken care of? I am going to talk to my dr on friday about the study, I am leaning toward no, but I can' t help but wonder if this will indeed help me in the long run and others like us. Even if they go in again and it is the saline solution and I do have endo, adheasins so forth, they would be able to take care of them sooner, oh man so much to think about, I am at work eating lunch worrying and getting support from all you, it helps so much. I will also speak to my dr about the patch,I get so sick from the anesthesia and chills and it takes alot to get out of my system, not that I am in love with hospitals, but my first lap I was in recovery for awhile and then when I got home I was sooooo sick, I am not sure my Dr. will give me calm me down pills?? right before the surgery?? Is that when you would get them. take care again, I will be in touch, please do the same. I wonder if they will ever start a get together or some kind of hyster reunion?? Mary aka Juniper Breze
Unread 01-13-2004, 11:11 PM
more surgery!

Hi!

I just had my fifth surgery in a year last week. First was removal of lump in my breast in Jan. (benign); second was TVH in Feb.; third was bladder sling/rectocele repair in July; fourth was removal of my left kidney for cancer in September (found out about this night before third surgery); fifth was for vaginal adhesions. Okay, this has not been a great year healthwise. . . . but I am thankful for each day and I can look forward now. Hang in there and know that although we may not be the same after surgeries, positive results can occur. Deal with one situation at a time.

Katidid
Unread 01-13-2004, 11:48 PM

Hi Katidid,
Thank you so much for the encouragement you havejust gave me. Reading your story sure made me realize I am tougher then I think. It does sound like your doing just fine....look at ya, you just gave me encouragement I thought I have lost.
Sometimes life deals us a raw hand, and there is a reason for it.
I am counting my lucky stars right now.
You hang in there also, God Bless you and take care of yourself.
And I hope this year is better one for you.

Deb
Unread 01-14-2004, 12:06 AM

Hi Deb!

Yes there are a few "pits" in the bowl - but know that others have been there too! Thanks for your response - lets hear it for a new year! Take Care.

Katidid
Unread 01-14-2004, 10:12 PM

I'm praying with all the others that everything will go well for you, Laura. It's okay and understandable if you're afraid. I wish you didn't have to go through this. Remember that you have many people that care about you, and God arms will carry you.

Monalees

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register