having another surgery. I'm very scared! - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

having another surgery. I'm very scared! having another surgery. I'm very scared!

Unread 01-18-2004, 09:23 PM
having another surgery. I'm very scared!

Hi HysterSisters,
I am 43 and had my TAH/BSO July 31, 2003(I have been experiencing endo, adhesions, cysts, adeno, pain all month long, for 28 years now.) Six days after my surgery my horizontal incision completely opened up. Aparrently I had blood clots underneath. Anyway I spent 8 weeks with DR and visiting nurses packing my incision. Oh what an experience that was. CLosing from the inside out was not a pretty site.

Anyway, back in November I started having alot more pain all across my abdomen between my bikini cut and belly button.
I called the DR office and the nurse told me to take it easy, I was doing too much. Ok, so now I need to continue taking it easy. Well on Saturday January 3rd I starting having vaginal bleeding. I didn't go to the ER just because and waited to see my DR on Monday. I showed up at the office at 8:30am. My DR was on vacation and the other DR was at another office site and was booked all day. They told me to go to the ER and have them access me. I didn't want a male ER DR due my exam but I went anyway. I prayed to God that there would be a female on that day. Yes, my prayer was answered.

She told me I had a vaginal cuff Hematoma that burst. Anyone expereince that ? She did two ultrasound one transvaginal and one on my belly, just to make sure there wasn't anything else going on. They were negative.

I saw my Dr 4 days later and she is stumped. I just had a pelvic/abdominal CATscan on Thursday Jan 15, (results pending)My DR told me I probably will have to have a lap done. She thinks it more adhesions, scar tissue, maybe endo too.

Geez, I thought that I'd have a break after my surgery.

I elected not to take any hormones due to my endo. I am doing pretty good with that now. I only have 2 big hot flashes a day. One when I am waking up in the morning and one at bedtime within 1/2 after I lay down. My sleeping is better and my leg pain at a minimal. I am experiencing water retnetion and weight gain. a concern of mine as well.

Two years ago when I decided to take 6-month Lupron injections instead of hysterectomy I gained 20 pounds. I have gained 10 more in 5 1/2 months since my TAH/BSO. So water retention on top of this is not very good.

I guess I just needed to vent.

God Bless you all,
Colleen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2004, 12:29 AM

hi Colleen,
Sorry to hear your not doing so well and not feeling so well.
I know its hard hon, but hang in there, the doc will fix you up.
I know the feeling of not wanting another surgery or anything medically wrong. I've had enough of it all too.
Even thou I have not had what you are experiencing, I do understand.
I had my partial done in October, 2 weeks later had to have a TAH leaving the left ovary. 4 weeks post op, I now have a fistula which is a hole in the bladder from a dang ole stitch embedding in it from surgery. So now I have another surgery date set for 2/11/04 to do repair. Its not going to be fun having them cutting me open in the same incision where I had hysterectomy.
But I will be glad to get it over with, due to me having to wear adult diapers now.
So hang in there and come in to vent as you need to. It does help emotionally...

Deb
Unread 01-19-2004, 08:58 AM

Hey Deb and all sisters with Fistula or other problems. I will be praying for you.
Thanks Deb for the kind words of encouragement.
Colleen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2004, 09:26 AM

I feel so sorry that you have to do this. I had three major abdominal surgeries in six weeks last summer. First was a open incisional hernia repair and D&C, then TAH after endometrial cancer was diagnosed, then a bladder/ureter reimplantation after my ureter was nicked during the hyster. The thought of going back into surgery again almost makes me physically naseous! I know that I have major adhesions. My surgeon was shocked with how bad they were after only three weeks. I just hope and pray that they don't cause more problems. I was having some pain beside my belly bottom for several months and it finally went away. Then, during a xmas trip, I lifted my heavy suitcase at a motel and the pain is back. I just hope it wasn't the adhesions tearing! I will be thinking of you and pray all goes well. Just try and keep your head up and hopefully, the surgery will take care of your problem.. you can do it!! We're all pulling for you!
Unread 01-19-2004, 09:41 AM

Oh my gosh LDK50,

Two weeks ago when I had the vaginal bleeding and more intense abdominal pain I also had lifted a suitcase from a return Christmas trip up to NJ visiting family.

I wonder if there are adhesions and that is what tore???

So now what? Do they go in and what do they do? Laser the adhesions? And then create again more scar tissue right! And the saga continues in our lives.....

I will find out today if the CAT scan showed anything. Both ultrasounds were negative. Adhesions can only be detected by going in.

So I guess that is what my Dr will say to me...Laparoscopy time.

Ugh! I do know I can function with this pain all the time. And I am gaining more weight because I can't even excercise. The pain in my abdomen becomes unbearable if I do. And walking and biking just don't burn the calories.

Oh well, it will eventually work out.
God Bless,
Colleen
Unread 01-19-2004, 03:43 PM

Teach 2- I just hope that I don't have to go back in. My doctor said that unless they start interferring with my intestines and the pain isn't too bad, I wouldn't have to do anything. Adhesions are scar tissue and you can tear it if you overstrain. I've been wearing either my binder or a panty girdle since it happened. I swear I'm not going to lift a sack of groceries until it feels better. It took 4 months after my surgery before I didn't feel it. It is an ache just to the right of by belly bottom. It kind of feels like something is dropping.. guess we can only hope it doesn't get worse.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register