How do I get my GP to understand? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How do I get my GP to understand? How do I get my GP to understand?

Unread 01-09-2004, 09:52 AM
How do I get my GP to understand?

Ok girls, I've had enough! I've been swearing that I was going to have my GP refer me back to the Gyn for the last 3 months. Had a TAH/LSO in Oct. 02 for endo, adeno, and an ovarian mass. 9 weeks later my right ovary was cystic. My gyn was on maternity leave then and her sub put me on continuous bcps. They helped for a while then I was back to having cyclic problems every 3 weeks so, I stopped. I felt "better" for a while (but never have been completely pain free since the hyst) and then the cyclic problems started coming back, more severe each month. This morning I woke up and fully expected to be laying in blood! I feel exactly as I did pre-hyst!!! Miserable...emotionally and physically!

I have an appoitment with my GP on Monday and I need advice. What do I say to him to make certain he will refer me to my gyn?? He is one of those doc's who believes NOTHING is hormone related. I KNOW this is either adhesions, endo or cysts!

I would also like you all's help with questions to ask my gyn when I get that appointment to make sure this is addressed properly. I want and need to get this over with.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2004, 01:56 PM

well.....I always find it's better to make a list of points and questions I want to address because I either get so upset while I'm there or they sidetrack you and you forget to tell them or ask them the most important thing!!!

I would also stress how this is effecting the quality of your life and that you don't want to continue on this way and if he won't refer you to the gyn for consultation, who will he refer you to?

in the end there is always the ER......hang in there, I"m sure more sisters will be along shortly to offer some suggestions, and don't forget your list, let us know how it goes!
Unread 01-09-2004, 02:45 PM

Hey Friend:

As you know we are sort of on the same road with the continuous BCPs and shortened cycles, etc. Luckily with my insurance I can go straight to my GYN. You have to get that referral. You've suffered enough.

My experience with primary care doctors is that they don't want to handle stuff outside of their expertise ... lawsuits being a primary concern. I don't think your primary will refuse to refer you under the circumstances.

The way you might be sure of that is write everything down for us only even more detailed, with dates, pain severity, pain duration, etc. Bowl the doc over with details. Perhaps even go in with a calendar and highlight the pain days. [I did that for my GYN and he loved getting a visual like that. I had right pain in one color, left in another and anything else in a 3rd color]

At some point I'll bet he'll interrupt you and say ...ya know what ... this isn't my area, who would you like to be referred to?

I'll keep you in my prayers!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2004, 06:38 PM

Put it in writing -- That's what I do with my stubborn doctors. If they aren't hearing you, then you have something physical to point to. Just do your best to make them understand how this is affecting your quality of life. When I was tired of being ignored and wanted my OB-GYN to do a laparoscopy to check for endo, I took all of my pain medications and laid them out in front of him. I told him I couldn't do it anymore, and he scheduled me for surgery that day.

Best of luck,
Christy
Unread 01-09-2004, 08:25 PM

The other posts pretty much summed up what I was going to say my insurance now doesn't require me to be referred to a GYN..I can just call a GYN in my list of providers and go. Have you checked to see if you have to go through your GP first? Just a hopeful thought?!! as I am sure you have!!
Putting in writing most definately is the smartest thing to do that way you are "prepared" when you go to GP and GYN. You know your pain but sometimes when I myself go to DR I get sidetracked when I am in there and forget all that I meant to say, but with it in writing that way you won't forget.
Good luck....from one KY girl to another!!
Unread 01-09-2004, 08:31 PM

Hi BillsSweetie68,
I had a similar problem with a GP who never thought to refer me to a GYN. I ended up in ER and the ER Doc said I needed to see a GYN right away!
On your Monday appointment I would look your GP in the eye and say, "I need to see the GYN and I am here requesting your referral." and then I would repeat it again. If you impress upon your GP that you would feel more comfortable talking to your GYN about what is going on; I truly don't see how he can refuse to give you what you are asking for.
It has taken me years to get my needs met in the medical arena but I have learned that I must be my own advocate.
I wish you the best of luck obtaining the care that you deserve!
I hope you are feeling better soon!
Unread 01-12-2004, 01:15 PM

Hey Ladies! I just wanted to thank you all for your advice. I saw my GP today and his nurse is making me an appointment with the Gyn who did my surgery. I have to call them tomorrow and find out when it is. Soon I hope!

I have to admit that I am EXTREMELY frustrated being almost 15 mos. post op and be dealing with this. I want off this roller-coaster. I'm sure there are many here that share my feelings.

Michelle-- I tried to send you a PM but it says your box is full.
Unread 01-12-2004, 02:09 PM

we'll keep our fingers crossed for ya and don't forget that list of questions and symptoms.......let us know how it goes! 's!!!
Unread 01-15-2004, 11:20 AM

Well, I still don't have that appointment date for the Gyn. My GP's nurse is suppose to be making it but when I called Tuesday she said she hadn't had the time. Huh??? I don't have the time to hurt 24/7 either! I'm going to call again this afternoon and hopefully they will know something.

Question for those of you who have been diagnosed with adhesions -- How would you describe the pain? I had adhesions pre hyst, but they were minimal and I didn't have any symptoms from them. Now I feel like there is something tearing in my LLQ immediately prior to BM, with intercourse and sometimes just because. It is a burning, searing type pain. Also, I can feel knots in my abdomen on that side. Scar tissue maybe? And does that eventually soften up?

As always, thanks in advance!
Unread 01-15-2004, 12:13 PM

Hey Sweetie:

Before my endo was first treated... that would be 12 long years ago ... I had quite a bit of adhesions [from the endo] that tied various organs together, the bowel being one of the participants.

Anyway, I would have pain with intercourse (positional) and I would have a warning pain before a BM. The actual BM did not hurt itself, just as the feces traveled through the bowel on the way. If it was right before my period, it was very painful to delay elimination. Found that restroom right away!

Does this sound somewhat similar?

As you know, this is a must item for your discussion list. The more specific we are about when, wear, type of pain the better able your doc will be to help you.

Take care and I hope you get that appointment soon! Could the nurse give you the referral number and you could schedule your own appointment?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register