I watched a really interesting program on Obesity .... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > HysterSisters Club House > B.E.S.T.-(Better Eaters Support Team)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I watched a really interesting program on Obesity .... I watched a really interesting program on Obesity ....

Unread 01-09-2004, 11:52 AM
I watched a really interesting program on Obesity ....

Hi Girls

Thought I would share this one with you ... I watched a really interesting programme about childhood obesity the other night on ITV (a UK TV channel), they said that 30% of the childhood UK population sufferred from obesity ... They took a class of 8 year old children, took their BMI and then put them onto a war time diet with rations & exercise (ie., no TV or playstations!) for a week ... took their BMI a week later and their was a definate reduction in BMI. Also they got a taste for things like cabbage, which they had never tasted before! They also noticed a huge shift in concentration levels within the classroom & their was a marked improvement on behaviour levels.

They said, its not just the things we eat (fast food) that cause obesity, but the size of our portions and the type of food combinations that we have ...

It was a really interested program .. and I just wanted to share with you !

Toni xxxxxxxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2004, 04:38 PM

Interesting Toni!

There are so many insideous cultural changes that affect us aren't there? When my kids were young, we lived on a farm and they were always out and about, even if it was just playing in the sandpile w/tractors & trucks. Since it was a safe environment they could ride their bikes up and down the street, hike in the woods and so on. Of course there was no McDonald's nearby, they didn't know for a long time that that bank gave kids lollipops & they thought that one packet of hot cocoa mix always made 2 servings. I imagine that raising kids is ever so much more challenging today!
Unread 01-09-2004, 05:52 PM

yep definately

If we tell our DS that we have no money .. he just says well go to the hole in the wall (cash machine!) and it will give you some ....

they can be so innocent ...

but yeah .. McDs, KFC, fastfood in general is becoming a nightmare .. I when we are at the supermarket I have to say NO to so many things 'cos they are just too bad for them (including snacks!) that makes me the enemy .. all the time

its like fighting a losing battle !!

I am quite lucky though, my DS is quite an active .. and if anything is slightly underweight ... he goes swimming most days with DH and I (hes passed oh his swimming tests - in fact if I drown he can save me!) and he likes playing football (soccer to you ! all the time at school, and once a week at our country club!) he does junior combat & is always out on his bike - whether it is raining or not !!!!!!!!! So you see .. I have a lot to live up too having to keep up with him !!!!!!!!

Toni xxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2004, 08:25 PM

I remember reading about some of the other simple changes in lifestyle over the years - we used to have two- and three-story houses and we walked up and down stairs at home. Now homes frequently have no stairs to climb. We use mixers and blenders instead of using our arms and a spoon in the kitchen. We drive where we used to walk. We sit at computers and televisions when we used to move around more. Stuff like that.

And the portions, yes, that's really a biggie for me. I had a boss a few years ago and we'd only go to places where he could "get enough to eat" and I'd join right in.

And for me, this past year since I stopped walking as much as I used to, my BMI has gone through the roof. Sigh. It's not insoluble, though.

BTW I think "swedes" are known as turnips on this side of the pond. They make a good snack when peeled and sliced!!

Desk
Unread 01-11-2004, 08:50 AM

While I agree that raising kids, in this day and age, has got to be more challenging than it used to be, I am always puzzled by the children obesity issues.

Yes, children today spend more time in front of the TV and have a much easier access to junk food and such. However, back when I was a child, we also ate huge portions!!! And, at least at my place, meals always consisted of meat and potatoes. And we got our milk straight from the farm, with the cream still on top!!! Yes, I believe that we ate a whole more of fat than we do today. I don't even think that there was such a thing as 2 % milk until I was in my mid-teens... at least not in our town. And all this home-baked cooking was full of sugar (my mom was telling me, before X-Mas, that she tried to make this recipe of cookies with a jam filling and that it wasn't sweet enough, because, today, jam is not as sweet as it used to be). And our idea of eating vegetables was to have potatoes with our meal. Oh, we did eat carrots and tomatoes and I always enjoyed fruits... but it wasn't the same as it is these days, where we understand the importance of eating a balanced meal.

I think that the main culprit for obesity in children is lack of exercise. And it's not only because of TV and video games. Even the kids who have access to TV monitored are not playing outside!!! While, back when I was a kid, we only had Phys Ed once a week, we played outside, a lot. Today, the kids don't have time to play outside: they're too busy spending "quality time" with their parents, going to movies, to the library, etc. etc. during their free time.

I really think that it's all a question of balance: our kids need to eat a balanced diet and to add a regular exercise program to their routine. My DS is presently attending a special program within a hospital, due to some behavior issues. There's less time spent on accademics and more time spent on other issues, such as group therapy. And, among other things, they have daily classes of phys ed or swimming. He's lost 3 lbs since he started there, in early December!!!
Unread 01-11-2004, 09:22 AM
Great topic

My side of the family tends to be chunky. My dad was big by stature. I was always heavy but exercised tons. My theory though my mom gets upset is. She would never let us eat any junk at all except on a very rare occasion. So when my sister and I were able to be out on our own we ate the crap and gained the weight. Now with my girls they can eat more junk than I did but I keep them very active. Summer is no problem at all as we have a pool and jungle gym in our own yard. But winter can be tough for anyone. Especially this past week when it was minus 40 with the windchill ( celcius) But we take the girls skiing and skating and have them involved in activities so they get some exercise.

I used to be so worried about my oldest dd. She was a big baby and was big throughout the first 6 years. But eventually it slowed down. Now she is 5 feet ( at ten) and weighs 93 pounds. She is so slim. I am 5 10 so she will be tall. The little one who I did not worry about has begun to get chunky and she is not going to be as tall. So now I worry about her

I just hope that I am leading a good example. I watch what I eat and exercise tons. As a parent if I get them outside and we enjoy some activity time together hopefully it will all work out.

Katie
Unread 01-12-2004, 07:41 AM

What I think is great is that all the BEST SISTERS kids & grandkids are seeing great examples of better, healthier & conscientous eating & exercise!!!

When I grew up, there was not a lot of $$$...my mom "rationed" our morning juice to 4oz max, but every Saturday was baking day - always pies, cake & cookies for the week. A salad was a chunk of iceberg lettuce w/russian dressing.

Of course my mom's eating has changed...a special homemade granola w/fruit now for breakfast, lean meats & fish, brown rice...etc. Now (at 93 1/2) she is quite concerned that she won't be eating right since she gets meals on wheels for lunch!

bliss

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register