Depression comparison before/after hyst | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Depression comparison before/after hyst Depression comparison before/after hyst

Unread 01-10-2004, 07:22 PM
Depression comparison before/after hyst

Ladies - a fellow hystersister has suggested that a new thread be posted on the topic of depression - I feel it is a wonderful suggestion on her part.
So - thank you, Tanca - hopefully this thread will help a lot of ladies out there.

copied from a post by Tanca -

"Figliaesposito there were questions among us previously that brought up whether hysterectomy could actually help to cure depression. (the type that existed prior to surgery) Though I have not suffered with it, I found this to be an interesting question. You really answered it with your post. I think you should start a thread on that topic. .. I think there are some sisters that would like to hear what you have to say. "

Many women suffer from depression that hits when it is time for them to menstruate......of course there are different levels - but when it comes to depression I feel the only levels or stages are from bad to worse - there is no good depression - my menstrual depression was serious - I can honestly say that if I continued on the way I was and not had the hysterectomy, along with the prescription pain killers and birth control pills ( and several different brands were tried ) that anti-depressants would have been thrown in the mix. Now I am 4 weeks post-op and I have truly been blessed with an extremely easy and problem free healing period. Each day my head is clearer and the emotional stability is priceless. No depression bouts, whatsoever, and no Dr. Jekyll/Ms. Hyde personality changes. My son will now sit in the same room with me and not hide out in his room on the second floor when I am around. Would it be too extreme for me to say that my relationship with my teenage son has been salvaged along with my improved physical & mental health ?
My physical AND mental health quality has increased dramatically in such a short time. I pray the same happens for all of you ladies.
Thank you, Tanca for your wonderful suggestion.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2004, 10:39 PM
my experience

I am really interested in this subject. I, too, have noticed a major improvement in mood stability. I'm at 8 and 1/2 weeks now. Was plagued with off-and-on depressive episodes for decades -- since my teens, actually, and I'm 47 now. It is a great relief not to have mood swings anymore.

A part of me can't believe this is true, the feeling so good all the time. My mood was elevated even when I was still struggling with the immediate physical effects of surgery.

My cheery mood even survived a return to work!

Gerri
Unread 01-11-2004, 06:58 AM

I have to agree; since my surgery, my moods are a lot more stable and I'm a lot happier, even with some really bad news coming in to me in RL, such as the furnace/plumbing repairs we suddenly 'have to have done'.

I wonder how much different my life would have been if I had not had to suffer from this depression that seems to have been part and parcel with my malfunctioning 'womanly parts'. I'd probably have a real job, for one thing. I'm not stupid; I have a good education, but keeping a job when your hormone-driven emotions have control of your life....not possible.

Well, I'll make the most of what life I have left, and try to get a decent job at 36 with over ten years out of the job market, I'm just unhappy I let it wait so long to get this surgery.....but then, I didn't realize that this was the solution, way back then. I feel like a new person, at last ! A normal one !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2004, 07:19 AM

Interesting post indeed. It gives me a little hope. I'm 36 and have been depressed as far back as I can remember, (teens at least) and my cycle started when I was 11. Lucky me, haha! I've went through yrs of pshyc therapy & antidepressants and anti-anxiety meds. So far, nothing has worked for me.

I do think my HRT meds need a little work though. Someone can look at me the wrong way and I go PSYCHO! No, I'm not exaggerating. LOL

I do hope to be able to relate to this post some day. It'd be great to have myself back. I'd love to get rid of this quick temper too. I never dealt with it until the last few years. *sigh*
Unread 01-11-2004, 07:27 AM

Before my surgery I suffered from PMDD. Was on quite a bit of Zoloft up until two months before surgery.

Now that the surgery is done and I'm 4 weeks (and 3 days) I feel good. The depression isn't there (I do have a big zit on my cheek from my body thinking this was the week of my period...LOL) and there's a bounce to my slow steps.

I smile more. Laugh more. Help DH more. All around, the depression is gone and I feel good. Woohooo!
Unread 01-11-2004, 01:11 PM

What about the women who decide to keep their ovaries. Do the moods get better, or do they say the same as before surgery?
Unread 01-11-2004, 01:39 PM
lots to ponder

Yes, I too wonder about the ovarian connection. Also about whether the early onset of menstruation is a factor, and if any princesses who struggle/d with depression also struggled with infertility.

Tammy mentioned she started menstruating at 11. I started at 10.

I have no children because of infertility. Because of my situation, I've long been fascinated with how hormones influence so much -- maybe a lot more than we know.

Gerri

P.S. to Tammy: Yes, have your hormones checked. Also, you are barely at the 4-week mark -- still lots of healing going on. When I was at 6 weeks, I burst into loud tears upon opening a Christmas card and reading an old friend's holiday form letter about family life and children. (I ran and posted my woes in the Aching Hearts forum and some wonderful princesses helped me.) AND, guess what -- instead of being bummed out for a long time -- as I would have been in earlier days -- I got over it really quickly and was OK again by the end of the same day!
Unread 01-11-2004, 01:41 PM

I am with flameglow. I am only 2 1/2 weeks post op and still have my ovaries, I have suffered from depression for about 10 years now. Do you think that if the uterus had fibroids and the ovaries are prone to cycts that this will just upset the balance of hormones?

Beside feeling that I need to cry my general mental health seems to be much better.
Unread 01-11-2004, 02:55 PM
depression issue

Hello princesses...I am still a LIW, and I am also interested to know what will happen w/ my hormones after surgery. As of right now, I am keeping my ovaries.
I have suffered from depression since I was 16 and anxiety attacks all my life. I have been on antidepressants for about 11 years now. I also started at a very young age, 11, and the PMS was horrible then, and it's still bad now. I have extreme mood swings and am in general just in a "bad" mood. Not depressed really (as bad as it has been in the past), just down.
My Dr & my psychiatrist are doing their own little survey on me to find out if once everything is said & done, my mood swings clear up. Although I can't see how they will if I'm keeping my ovaries (just my opinion).
I would be very interested to know if anyone else out there has depression, anxiety attacks and they got better after the surgery. I am praying something gives one way or the other.
Unread 01-11-2004, 05:05 PM

Maybe a tell all would be to see who suffered from serious menstrual depression/personality changes/mood swings and then to see if they kept an ovary(ies) or not -
I started this thread and this was my situation -
Periods started at 9 - started off very badly - heavy flows/7 to 10 days/ cramps were bad enough for the family dr. to put me on prescription pain killers. At the age of 13/14 gyno put me on birth control pills and that helped until late thirties - changed pill and prescription pain killer was introduced again. Had bouts of depression and was even diagnosed as manic depressive by one psychiatrist. This all between my teens & thirties. In fall of 2002 more problems/changes. Bleeding through pill. extremely heavy flows and doubling up on pain pills, depression was serious, personality changes/mood swings were almost an everyday occurance.
12-11-03 I had TAH/BSO - everything was removed. I have no ovaries and am taking Cenestin 1.25 each day for estrogen replacement.
It's been 4 1/2 weeks since surgery - no depression whatsoever or mood swings/personality changes. Feeling emotionally & physically stable. And getting happier each day.
I'm just guessing that the factor is whether the ovaries are kept or not. Ladies?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register