Rectum pain after TAH/BSO | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Rectum pain after TAH/BSO Rectum pain after TAH/BSO

Unread 01-11-2004, 01:49 AM
Rectum pain after TAH/BSO

I had my TAH/BSO on Jan 5, 2004. I have visited this site many times prior to and since my visit to The Castle. It is a wonderful place with wonderful people. So far, it has answered every question I have or could have had without actually asking myself...until now. I have been having very, very sharp pains in my rectum. It does not appear to be gas but possibly a little man in there trying to shoot bolts of lightning out of my @$##. Is he on a solo mission or does he have friends out there with the same idea?? Please tell me I am not alone in this.

Tinnkb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2004, 03:28 AM

He has friends!!! It must be some sort of alien conspiracy!!! All I know is that IT FREAKIN' HURTS!!! Wow, I mean the gas pains are bad and the pain the two times I have gone to the bathroom that way have been bad but I do have the same things you're describing too and I don't know what they are but they need to STOP! I will be laying down either in bed or on the couch or just sitting there and it's like suddenly I could shoot straight up through the ceiling! I can't offer any advice on how to stop them or what is causing these pains but I wanted to let you know you are not alone! My surgery was on the 6th and hopefully these will let up soon, they're worse than the rest of the recovery! Please inform me if you find out who he or his friends are working for, lol!!! Take care!
-Maggie
:eyes: This is me when those pains hit!!!!!
Unread 01-11-2004, 04:28 AM

I had my TAH/BSO on 1/2/04. The gas pain and rectal pressure for me were the worst day 3 and 4 post op. I am an R.N. and called my nurse anesthetist friend for some insight. She said that anesthesia essentially paralyzes and dehydrates the bowels, and thus causes gas pockets and pain until it eventually is out of the system. She recommended lying on my left side which anatomically aids in relieving gas, as well as drinking lots of clear fluids to rehydrate the bowels, and continue taking the stool softners that my doctor recommended. By day 5 or 6 the bad gas for me had greatly subsided, and the bowels began moving more normally eliminating much of the pain and rectal pressure I had. I also have a little soft pillow which I use to hold again my incision when I go to the bathroom and this really helps lessen the pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2004, 07:42 AM

Oh yeah, those stabbing pains! Feels like someone stuck a small sharp object up there WITHOUT any warning. Been feelin that since the end of week one. I've been feeling burning pressure too but that's settled down to so many times a day vs. 24/7. I spoke to the nurse about all this pain at the end of wk 2 and she said it was normal for me because I had some perinial(sp?) work done. (between the vaginal & rectal walls) I don't know if ya'll had this done or not but that's what I was told in my case.

Yes! HE does have friends! LOL
Unread 01-12-2004, 12:27 AM

AAHA...I knew he didn't work alone. Thanks for letting me know I'm not crazy. Okay, maybe a little crazy since I do picture a little guy in a Roman togo with a little gold leafy crown and a glittering pitch fork that has lightning coming out of the end of it. An evil grin on his face as he looks at his watch...."she's got 1 minute until I do it again. Why wait.......ZZZappp. HeeHee, got her again."

Sorry about that. I try to find humor in this anyway i can, even if it's a strange kind of humor.

This truly is a wonderful place to be when you feel your all alone with your pain in the wee hours of the morning. This site has seen many women through those hours and I am sure will see many more. As I am only on day six of my recovery I will surely be one of those women, and am very grateful to have found you.

Tinkkb
Unread 01-12-2004, 06:51 AM

I think he has friends. I read somewhere that the uterus and cervix share the same nerve pathways with the colon/rectum.....no wonder everything hurts ?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register