abnormal pap smears and elevated CA125 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

abnormal pap smears and elevated CA125 abnormal pap smears and elevated CA125

Unread 01-11-2004, 09:42 AM
abnormal pap smears and elevated CA125

I am new to this site and would like to know if anyone has had similiar complications as myself prior to diagnosis.
In may of 2003 I presented myself to an OB/GYN/ONC due to having abnormal pap smears since 2000 with only one returning with CIN 1 / Mild Dysplasia. I also was having a nipple discharge in my right breast which turned out to be a papilloma. I had the duct excisionally removed and there was atypical ductal hyperplasia. My mother had breast cancer at 45 and died at 53 with bone mets from her breast cancer. I am currently being monitored closely with pap smear, trans-vaginal ultrasound, and CA125 every 6 months. My first CA125 level was at 47.5 followed by 42, and my last one was at 49.5. I continue having abnormal pap smears and I have been tested negative for HPV. I have also been having a slight elevated temperature of 100.4 every day since May. I have been terribly fatigued since this all began in May,however; I am told that the fatigue and fever is of unknown origin, but somehow I feel that it is all related. I am also being closely monitored by a breast clinic and I feel that my problems are not related to any breast complications. If any of you have had similiar complications are have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate them. I have always been a very energetic individual, but this past year has taken a toll on my body. I feel like I have been run over by a Mac truck and I can't seem to get my body where it was previously! Thanks in advance for all replies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2004, 12:40 PM

Hi, Stevie!

Welcome to HS! There are a lot of great people here, so I'm sure someone will be along with better information than I have.

I do want to say that I had night fevers before my diagnosis. I woke up sweaty, and was very surprised. I think any sort of fevers should be checked out. But you're being watched by an oncology team, which to me says that they know what they should be looking for. Still, you should never be afraid to push for more tests. They may say no, but I really believe that you need to be a squeaky patient to get the right answers.

Your CA125 is still somewhat low, but slightly higher than the normal range. Sounds like the TV ultrasound haven't shown anything unusual, which is good. But you might want to monitored every three months rather than every six, if your providers will let you.

The CA125 test isn't always accurate, and the number can be elevated for any number of reasons. For some, it's a marker. For others, it isn't. My doctor said that if I ever recurred (which, of course, is not allowed) that they wouldn't do much of anything unless my CA125 hit 100. It was 161 when I had surgery. But some people get a number of 1200 for the same stage.

I don't know that any of this is much help. As I said, I'm sure others will be by with better information.

Be sure to keep on top of your doctors, and let us know how you're doing!

s!
Unread 01-11-2004, 10:37 PM

Hi Stevie,
Sorry to hear you are having these problems. Why are you have ultrasound and CA125 examinations? Did the doctors suspect something with your ovaries? What are they looking for with these tests? Why are they 'monitoring you closely'? For what? What is not normal about your pap smears? What do they show?
Your CA numbers don't seem to change much although they are slightly above normal. My doctor said he'd never seen cancer in anyone with a number under 100 and that LOTS of things can cause slightly elevated numbers. Is your doctor concerned? What does he think is giving you readings in 40's?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to figure out what your doctors are looking for, what they think might be the problem. What do you think is happening?

I had cervical cancer. My pap smears never showed anything. I was never fatiqued or had any symptoms except for a clear discharge which I noticed mostly over night.

Might you have something other than cancer? Some virus? Epstein Barr or mono? Something like that? It doesn't sound like you have cervical cancer and if your ultrasounds don't show any problems with your uterus or ovaries, perhaps your fatigue and elevated temperature is caused by something completely unrelated.

Janie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2004, 02:37 AM

Hi Denton,
In May of 2003 I had a cycle that lasted for a month with heavy bleeding and clots. This was due to a large cyst, but it went away. The only thing that the ultra-sounds have shown are enlarged ovaries, cysts on ovaries, and fibroids. I am not sure why they keep repeating this every 6 months. I forgot to mention that they also include a colposcopy along with the rest of the tests. Could they be testing this often because I have mild dysplasia? The mild dysplasia has corrected itself before and I think it probably will this time. I have heard of Epstein Barr, but am unfamiliar with this disease. I have been to my GP and told him of the continuous fever and fatigue and his reply is that this could be my normal body temperature, however; my normal temp has always been 98.7. Thank you for your reply. You have eased my mind about my concerns of cancer and I will ask them why I have to continue with such close monitoring.
Unread 01-12-2004, 04:54 AM

Hi Stevie

Just wanted to clear the CA125 question. Mine was 35 when first tested and i was subsequently diagnosed with ov cancer. My CA125 is now 7. CA125 can also be raised by endometriosis. I hope you get to the bottom of your fatigue and i would certainly question the CA125 level of 40.

All the best

Unread 01-12-2004, 02:00 PM

Stevie,
It sounds like they are just making sure that things don't change with regard to your ovaries and the fibroids. I do know that fibroids can grow to be quite large and that they can cause very heavy bleeding but they are very rarely cancer.

Many things can cause an elevated CA125. It really isn't a very good diagnostic tool, but I would ask the doctor why it continues to show slight elevation.

Hugs,
Janie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register