Post Op Tips for the Obese | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post Op Tips for the Obese Post Op Tips for the Obese

Unread 01-14-2004, 09:36 PM
Post Op Tips for the Obese

My surgery is 1/19/04. Having a supercervical AH. 22cm fibroid (outside uterus) and pathologically enlarged uterus equivalent to 6-mo pregnancy. Anyway, just read lots of encouraging pre-op posts regarding obesity. My DR has been very thorough (cardiologist, pulmonologist, tests, Lupron) so I'm very confident in him. What I'd like is post op recovery advice. Best way to get out of bed, do I have to request abdominal binding, are stockings good after they remove the leg compression machine, how long should daily walking go on; how often, incision care, etc. Any info appreciated. This is a great website. Glad I found it. I'll be sure to share my post-op experiences, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2004, 09:56 PM

There is another thread on this topic that you may find helpful:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...hreadid=124210

s
Unread 01-14-2004, 11:21 PM
fluffy tips

I'm going to say something unconventional - I didn't bind my tummy. I didn't use a band or supportive undergarments - I pretty much went bottom free (unless I had company).

I have a big belly, and there were a few times I wanted support - but by the end of the second week I was good. I think that my tummy is holding itself up better than if I had supported it. My decision was more financial than fanatical - but I now beleive in letting it hang!

I wear underwear under my jeans (yep in my jeans at 4 weeks) and really loose sweats at home (target has mens 3X for 11.99 in WA state).

When it hurt, I put a cold pack wrapped in a kitchen towel under the shelf that my 'new' belly has - in 10 minutes I would be feeling better.

Other things I just did as normally as I could. I had someone to help me up for 10 days or so, just a hand to pull against.

I am so happy to have gone ahead with this surgery. I feel awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2004, 09:22 AM

Since infection is statistically higher in obese women, I made sure that I kept my incision clean and dry. They will show you how to get out of bed in the hospital, and it's good to use that method (rolling clear onto your side and pushing up with your elbow on that side and your other hand placed near the edge of the bed) rather than trying to pull yourself up for some time.

There are undoubtedly good tips on that link. Good luck. There are many fluffy women who have undergone this surgery with no complications.
Unread 01-15-2004, 09:38 AM

This is really for any lady in waitinng, USE THE BREATHING THING THEY GIVE YOU, I didnt want to yell it but I thought after i got home I felt good and didnt need to do it very often and I ended up with pnuemonia a week and a half later. I do beleive it was from not doing that and not being able to get up often.
So pleeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaassssssssssseeeeeeeeee do that.
Your sister in recovery
Unread 01-16-2004, 05:42 PM

Thank you hystersisters website for the great advice. I'm moving tomorrow then having my surgery on 1/19; won't be online for a while. I'll be sure to share my experiences with others as soon as I'm able. Bless all those who are awaiting or healing from their surgeries. I've had lots of support and good wishes and offer mine to all of you. More later . . .

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register