HI New Here | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-14-2004, 10:43 PM
HI New Here

HI
I'm 32. I also have pcos on top of all my other problems.
I am sorry if this is in the wrong section. 3 months ago I went to see my re for pain and she wanted to put me on provera but I had went this route with her before so I asked for a d and c and she agreed well I had the d and c and when the pathology report came back that I have severly atypical hyperplasis its on the verges of grade 2 she put me on megace and then sent me to a gyno oncologist and she said she will redo my d and c for me in 3 months well I had my d and c on the 8th of this month and she got the results back today and told me thier was no change and that she wants me to do a hyster. My dr is calling me back tomorrow is their any questions I should ask her and is their any other options besides this I have not even had any children yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2004, 11:31 PM
trying to understand

do you mean you have grade 2 dysplasia in your uterus, the lining ( endometrium, I think,) or the cervix? I think the location of the grade 2 makes a difference to how you could weigh up treatments and options.

I understand the pcos could affect your ability to conceive and can lead to heavy increased periods and blood flow but I don't think I have read a link between pcos and grade ll in the cervix, but understand a link in abnormal lining of uterus and pcos can be linked.

I would think that you would need to speak with a gyn/onc to get a full understanding of your path report and the expected prognosis with treatment, without treatment, or with delayed treatment if you want to try for a child. Only then can you make a decision with your partner, or by yourself ( it's YOUR body and health in the spotlight here) and feel that you have considered and discussed all your options.

Hopefully other replies may be able to shed more light, I don't have pcos but was tested for it so have done some reading on the condition, but the interpretation of your path. report I am not sure on. I had completed my family and my hyst when I received my abnormal path report so I don't think I am fully qualified to offer an opinion to you in your circumstances, but definitely want to make you think about what choices you have.

Thinking of you, take care and hope you can work out a treatment that you are at peace with. Linda
Unread 01-15-2004, 06:25 AM
HI New Here

hi

thanks for a reply.

It's endometrium.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2004, 07:28 AM
HI New Here

Hi Maddie,

I see you live in NYC. I live on Long Island and have a wonderful oncologist/gynocologist and oncologist. If you would like to get a second opinion, which I would suggest because you sound very unsure of things, email me and I will give you his name.

Rosalie
Unread 01-15-2004, 10:42 AM
HI New Here

Hi Maddie,
I had hyperplasia 8 months ago, not responsive to Provera;was placed on Megace and had endometrial bx that showed "type B" morphology...The journal article the the hospitla pathologists gave my ob/gyn is called "Mucinous Endometrial Epithelial Proliferations: A Morphologic Spectrum of Changes with Diverse Clinical Significance".Modern Pathology 1999l12(12)L1137-1142. Contact for reprint: Dr. Mutter fax 6172779015, at Harvard.
Email: gmutter @rics.bwh.harvard.edu

The article gives a good report on different types of atypical cells in the endometrium.
Mine was Type B; a study was done by the authors that evaluated "Types A,B,C... which showed on post-op hyst analysis, a significant portion positive for adenocarcinoma (cancer). The average delay in getting the surgery was 5 months. I was strongly encouraged by my ob/gyn and oncology/gyn to pursue a total hysterectomy ( incl ovaries,fallopian tubes,cervix). I decided to get a Laparoscopy Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy ( LAVH) vs an abdominal hyst as the recovery time is thought to be less...the onc/gyn wanted to do the abd hyst to take a "look at everything", but on my f/u visit with him, he feels that the surgery I had was adequate. My type of cancer is an early stage: 1b.
No RT or chemo; just frequent monitoring at this time.
I don't know if your type of atypical hyperplasia falls within these categories or not....have you seen your biopsy report? You can call the office to have a copy sent to you, and/or make an appt with your ob/gyn to have it explained in detail.

I am going to get another opinion from a onc/gyn in a few weeks to make sure I'm not missing anything.

The baby issue is certainly a tough one...I'm 49 and was blessed with a boy 6 years ago.
However, you have to look at the alternatives...I was somewhat shocked ( it actually hit me later ) with the cancer diagnosis. I am very grateful however that I took action and had the surgery.

Wishing you the best,
Raffi
Unread 01-15-2004, 10:55 AM
HI New Here

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I will try and get a copy of the report. I do not know what type I have. I feel so clueless.

I will find out and let you know. I hope that when you have your second opinion everything was taken care of the first time.
Unread 01-17-2004, 10:57 AM
HI New Here

Dear Maddie,

I am so sorry you are having to face this so young. I was 37 when I was diagnosed, and had also not had children yet. But I had to have the hysterectomy to save my life, which was definitely more important. Try not to think about anything other than what is in the best interest of you and your ability to live a long live. I trust that the women here who have experience with your situation have or will give you advice that I cannot give, since my situation was different. But know that you are not alone!

s!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register