If it isn't one cancer... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

If it isn't one cancer... If it isn't one cancer...

Unread 01-14-2004, 11:36 PM
If it isn't one cancer...

It's me again,

Well, my doc and I decided to go ahead and schedule a TAH for February. We were unable to locate the in situ problem via a cold knife cone or a follow up cytobrush biopsy. So, just to be on the safe side since it was glandular cells involved...

After we discussed the surgery (he would perform it since no invasive cancer could be found and no sign of the two previous biopsies--an enigma wrapped in a mystery he says) he asked if I had time for another colpo to check the cone, vagina, etc. Things looked fine until he got to the vulva. He found unusual cells. I have been complaining about vulvar itchiness for quite sometime now. Anyway, he did a punch bx(ouch :cryand I should have the results back on Monday.

I had brought this itchiness up and possible vulvar cancer before (a few months ago after reading a reply by Jeannie, I believe) but he felt that it was so rare that it was not something to be concerned about. I think he is finding that I do not operate like the average patient. Murphy and I are tight! I am starting to think that after 30 years in practice, God wanted to throw him a few twists in the form of ME!!! How does any doctor get sooo lucky?

Guess I am officially a even though the exact date is not yet known (has to be scheduled between the doctor and the castle.)

I look forward to any responses as I am at loose ends until I can find work, unfortunately that won't happen until after I recover in April sometime!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2004, 02:55 AM

Miichan, Sorry to hear about your news. I went for fibroids and she found cancer in situ of the vulva. That's what sealed the deal for my hysterectomy coming up on the 20th. I was flipped out to say the least. Maybe your biopsy will not show anything, or at least anything that would require surgical intervention. Good luck to you.
Unread 01-15-2004, 01:14 PM
Question for Who Me?

If the cancer is in your vulva, why are you having a hysterectomy? Is the cancer in both places? How are they treating the vulva cancer?

Good luck on both!
Hugs,
Janie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2004, 03:34 PM

If the vulvar biopsy comes back bad then it would be cancer in both places. The vulvar lesion might be treated as a separate issue.

The hyst is because the endocervical "cancer" is so elusive. The pre-cone bx path was sufficient to indicate that it is insitu. According to the doc, while the squalmous cell problems are somewhat understood because it is "easy to follow" the columnar cells are not. Columnar cell cancer makes up only 5% of all cervical cancers. Because we were unable to find it on the cone and the followup cytobrush, we both agreed that the best thing would be a hyst since I am no longer in a position to get pregnant and probably would not be for several years.

whine time...I am 40, childless, no job, getting divorced, no support, not quaified for assistance because I have too many assest tied up in the divorce, living in an RV and have other medical probs. Even though I wanted children, it would do them (natural or adopted) no good if I get cancer because the original lesion could not be found via biopsy and it is left to spread.

As far as the treatment for the vulvar lesion, I will be better able to answer that once the bx come back next week. There are several option from just removing the affected area to radical treatment. I am hoping for the former.

Thanks for posting as I am struggling with a bit of depression shutdown and during this part of the day and late at night you all are my companions.
Unread 01-15-2004, 08:16 PM

LindaSue,
((((((Hugs)))))) for you! You have so much to cope with already--it must be overwhelming. I'm praying for you. I had endocervical and endometrial cancer. My mom had endometrial cancer 14 years ago and she is still knitting and bickering with my dad
Take care and be sure to keep us posted. This is very hard to deal with when you have a husband to support you--that much worse when you're alone. I wish you the strength you need.

Sending love your way....
Monalees
TAH/BSO Dec/02 for endometrial & endocervical adenocarcinoma, no radiation/complications: ruptured bladder
Unread 01-15-2004, 08:56 PM
I'm such a whiner

Thanks for the hug. Every once in a while I just need to vent. It has been a frustrating last few weeks. I guess I should be more okay with the divorce, after all, I left him in July of 2002 (he was becoming more dangerous and knew severe injury or possibly worse could occur and there was nothing I could do to save the marriage as he told me he was going to file anyway.)

I cannot really complain too much. My church is extremely supportive and my folks are ready to have me move "home." I guess I would rather be in my RV (my friend lets me park it on her place) with my puppies (ok, one is about 90 lbs and the other is about 50) and my kitty and her sister, and the rest of the "kids" that live out here. I am just frustrated with the bills piling up and trying not to completely ruin my credit. On the bright side, maybe I will be able to get some support since I will not be able to work for a couple of months.

God has His ways and sometimes I just get frustrated and impatient. I really have no room to complain. I think that is why I found this site, to give me perspective and keep me humble. My problems are small fries compared to many on this site, yet I also know that I can whine periodically without being scoffed at or being told that I just need to get past it.

I cannot tell you and the rest of the ladies just how helpful and how much of a comfort your are. You help me to keep a good attitude with others I meet.

Think I will go watch some TV with my friend (who finds out on Monday if she has pre-cancer of the stomach/esophagus) and eat some When our shows are over, I will be back and on line until I can go to sleep (usually around 2 AM.)
Unread 01-17-2004, 11:07 AM

Dear LindaSue,

So sorry to hear that you are having to deal with all of this. I'm glad that your doctor is giving you good advice, but never be afraid to challenge what your doctor says or do your own research. Medscape (WebMD), which is an online medical resource, is a good site to do research on. AudreyS from this board recommended it to me, and though I've only visited once or twice, I find that for research, it is very good. Lots of doctor conversations and conference transcripts.

While I wish I had a man in my life, and know I will again, I am better off without the last man that I dated. He was not dangerous or violent, and was actually a good guy. But he had so much damage that the emotional stuff was just awful. It's not really all his fault. But it is better if we are not together.

I did go through surgery and chemo without the support of a spouse or significant other, but my friends were wonderful and my mom is just the best, and the great people on this board became new friends and a great support system -- particularly Jochan, who wrote to me almost daily from Singapore, and Seashell, who sent me card after card from the Chicago area, and Karenann, who was the first person to write to me when I posted here. Everyone else was wonderful, too! I can come up with a list of 30 names right now -- just from this board!

I do wish I could have some pets, but I am allergic. Oh well!

Keep your chin up. It's nice to know that you have options, like heading home if you want to. Not everyone has that option.

I hope the division of assets can proceed quickly. There has to be some sort of quick-and-dirty divorce that you can get through, especially since you are facing surgery and possible medical treatments. I hope that this doesn't put too much stress on you. Be sure to find time to quiet your mind and do some visualization.

Keep us posted! And remember, you are not alone!

s!
Unread 01-17-2004, 11:54 PM

hey sweetie..God does like to throw curve balls doesn't He?..Or rather as one friend of mine put it..we're pretty special for the bad guy to try to bring us down all the time and divert God's attention to us. I know the frustration, anger and worry you feel...but try to remember you are NEVER alone ok?..

I was diagnosed with endo cancer..and when they removed uterus and et al..they found it had actually blown through it and cells adhered to abdominal wall..isn't much I can do except chemo and prayer..yet I'm not going "down" without being around to torture my 16 yr. Old DD for at lest another 16 yrs..LOL

i don't want to sound like a pollyanna..but things will look up..and please accept any support your family can give..you'll need it <trust me> My surgeries and such came at a time when my hubby has been laid off..and we've basically had no income for two months..so I know about bills..I can tell you tho if you call and talk to most businesses and tell them what's going on..and that you've cancer..they generally will extend due dates..and cancel interest for the duration..and if you make a good faith effort..even if t's only 5-10$ a month..they'll let you slide...keep that in mind.... God bless..and good luck..and peace......... Desi
Unread 01-18-2004, 08:20 AM

Yes, I am never alone. God has always made sure I have wonderful Christian support, no matter what, and that I have what I NEED. I just get frustrated with being out of work for well over a year finally get close to getting a job, only to find out that I will be unemployable for the next few months. God has provided, and maybe this is the way he is going to prod the judge to give me some spousal support. (Because of my educational background she said I should be working, but I cannot do manual labor anymore and am over qualified for those jobs I can do and do not even get a call back on those. Her decision came one month after I was deemed ready to enter the work force into a low stress environment. I did get two months of support that was less than my rent and vehicle cost.)

I have 3 main bill areas, home (RV cost which is about 1/3 of any place I could rent), vehicle (mine had to be replaced because after 6 years of daily farm work...), and medical (which is by far the highest and about to increase dramatically.) I will take your suggestions about calling crediters for a temporary reprieve of total monthly payments.

I know that I am far from having problems when compared to so many of you. Thanks for your encouragement.
Unread 01-18-2004, 10:24 AM

Hi LindaSue,
Please know that everyone on this board is here to support you. I want to add mine.

I am single, had barely relocated to Oregon when I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer. I had just been offered a job, but had to let it go. I have been looking for part time work for nearly a year, and get turned down constantly because I'm over qualified. I know your frustration.

So I too am struggling with finances. A few days ago a woman called soliciting donations for the Cancer Fund of America. I told her about my situation, and she suggested I contact them and ask about financial assistance with medical bills. The web site is www.cfoa.org, click on Cancer Links, then Financial Assistance. I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of us.

In the meantime, take good care of yourself, eat well and get plenty of rest. Difficult to do, I know, but you want to be as healthy as possible for surgery. And come to this board and vent all you want. We understand, we've all been there, we'll get you through.

Hang in there, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register