DS with ADHD | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Surviving Parenthood

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-15-2004, 04:34 AM
DS with ADHD

HI Sisters, was wondering if anyone has a DS with ADHD and any kind suggestions as to what works in your household? He is 10 and was diagnosed in grade 1. Very smart, bright and sweet child who can very easily turn our house upside down. Take care, Sonia S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2004, 06:52 PM
DS with ADHD

Hi (((Sonia)))

We are practically neighbors: I live in Gatineau, in the Hull sector and work in Ottawa!!! Great to meet you!!!

I know all about ADHD: not only was my DS, 12 1/2, diagnosed with the condition when he was 7 yo, both DH and I both also have it, though we were never formally diagnosed

The one thing I've found most effective in dealing both with my child and myself, is consistency. This means having a lifestyle that is organized and has easily enforced rules. It also means having as much of a schedule as is possible. This sometimes hard to do, because ADHDers tend to shy away from schedules, despite the fact that we need them so badly.

It's also important to be as informed as possible. That's because we often have to be the ones educating the teachers, care givers and other professionals who help us along the way.

Over the years, I've gathered some really valuable information and links to useful website. Other members, including (((Xena))), have added links of their own. Just Click Here to get to a list of valuable resources to help us deal with children with Learning Disabilities.

Take care and looking forward to hearing from you.
Unread 01-16-2004, 06:56 PM
DS with ADHD

Oh, and I'll look for the information, I know I have it somewhere: I'm a pack rat!!! The University of Ottawa is conducting a study regarding working mothers of children with ADHD. They plan to publish their findings and might invite those who participated to an information gathering. They had also provided a list of links and resources available for those dealing with these issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2004, 06:21 AM
Smile - DS with ADHD DS with ADHD

Thank you for the reply Dany. Has it been cold enought for you? I am glad I haven't been able to (or want to) go outside yet, I just feel sorry for my helpers who have to. the snow today is pretty, i hope it stays a bit warmer. I would appreciate that info. I have been trying to find a support group in ottawa for parents like us but can't seem to find one. Routine does work well, we try our best. Today is post op 6 and still pretty sore, but doing ok, don't do very much except puzzle books and crochet, eat sleep and go to the bathroom. Do you guys take meds for your ADHD? How is your son in school? Like you, i have done many researching on the subject, there is alot out there. I will check out the links. Great to meet you to, I live in Orleans. Look forward to hearing from you again. Sonia S
Unread 01-18-2004, 10:09 AM
DS with ADHD

Hi (((Sonia)))) Great to hear from you again. Yes, it's been very cold and both DH and I were saying how pretty the snow is, this morning and it is supposed to remain warmer, all week, with a wonderful high of -1 on Wednesday (unless the weather-man changes his mind again )

DH and I are not on meds for our ADHD, simply because we've never been formally diagnosed. DH does use caffeine, and lots of it, and that's a form of self-medication. Caffeine and Ritalin are in the same family of stimulants. My younger sister was diagnosed, back in the early '70's, but the doctor then used the wrong meds and it didn't work. She's the only one, in either family, who was formally diagnosed. My almost 14 yo nephew also has it, was diagnosed as having ADHD inattentive sub-type, but isn't medicated.

My DS is not functionning at all in school. That's mainly because, in our School Board (CSPO), we do not have "Special Ed" classes. Because he doesn't have any issues with accademics, other than not wanting to work, he's not entitled to an aid. Therefore, the regular classroom has simply been too much for him. Since December, he's been attending day school at the Pierre-Janet hospital, here in Gatineau, and, as of tomorrow, he'll be attending the 24 hour school, since his doctor, finally, realizes that there are other issues to deal with and he, and the hospital's psychologist, want to evaluate him thoroughly. These news have been very, very hard for both DH and I, and, most of all, DS. But he's finally accepting that's the best for him and might result in him, finally, taking charge of his life and succeeding.

He's on several types of meds, to help him deal with the impulsivity issues, lack of empathy issues and lack of ability to recognize the need to sleep.
Unread 01-18-2004, 05:00 PM
ADHD

My 17yo ds was diagnosed as ADHD when he was 6. The first reaction from the school was "put him on Ritalin". He was such an imaginative child that we hated to medicate him to adjust to school, so we chose the Behavior Modification route. It was (and still is) very time intensive, but has been successful for us. I still have to "hand hold" to make sure his school work is done, and believe me that gets old fast--he's now in grade 11. But he has finally found his niche with in computer networking--an area where he can be moving around a lot, and not have to sit behind a desk all day. I still worry how he will function without the limits we have always had to put on him, but when I think back to how he used to be and his behavior today, I do see that he puts some limits on himself because he knows he needs them. I guess that's the best as parents that we can hope for. I wish you well on your journey--I know it will seem long and sometimes you'll wonder if what you are doing is the right thing, but I think that as long as you stay involved on a day-to-day basis and give them unconditional love, you will see results.
Unread 01-18-2004, 06:26 PM
DS with ADHD

Hi (((debinpa)))) I just love reading these success stories where ADHD is concerned We're also hoping that our DS will, eventually, find his niche: he's soooooo bright, it would be such a shame if he was unable to amount to anything due to his limitations

In our case, we tried Behavior Modification alone, before resorting to meds. However, we really had no choice but to try meds, along with the behavior mods: he's got such a severe case of the condition, that we were simply going nowhere with him and, in the meantime, he was being suspended on consistent basis. And he was only in the 2nd Grade at the time.

What we've learned, through this journey with our DS, is that the most successful therapy (the one that benefits most of the children.. not necessarily the one that will work with any child... just wanted to point this out) is a combination of Behavior Modification, carefully monitored medication and a consistant approach from a multidisciplinary team... and, the parents are part of that team.

Our team includes his doctor, his teachers, the special ed technicians, the school's principal, psychologist and nursing staff!! Over the years, this team has also, off and on, including a social worker who worked with us with parental skills and a psychologist who worked with us, the parents, to help us deal with all the issues that raising such a demanding child have brought on.

I know that there is a lot of controversy to the whole issue of medicating children and I know that not all children react the same. Where our DS is concerned, you simply can't tell he's medicated. The only way we know the meds are working is because he is calmer and more focused and less likely to fly off the handle into a full-blown melt-down. I've seen the "zombie-look" in other children and couldn't believe the same meds were causing this!!!!

BTW, where DS is concerned, taking the meds haven't affected his creativity... at least... not in a negative manner. What the meds have done, along with everything else we've been doing, is help him focus his energy... and his creativity... so that he can accomplish something.

Unfortunately, because ADHD is not the only issue we're dealing with... we're also dealing with paranoia, inability to effectively assess his actions and evaluate himself and inability to function in a classroom environment (even a maximum of 5 kids in the classroom is too many!!!)... meds, behavior mods and support system we've created is not enough... hence the steps we're taking for a thorough evaluation.
Unread 01-20-2004, 05:36 AM
DS with ADHD

Dear Sonia,
I know a lot about ADD because I was diagnosed with it shortly after one of my sons was. All four of my sons are ADD. There is a book that I really appreciated when I read it. The title is "Driven to Distraction". I can't remember the authors, but at least one of them was ADD and he was a doctor. Of course, you are probably aware of the great characteristics that go along with ADD, such as creativity, intuition, high intelligence levels etc. As an adult I started taking Dexedrine. I no longer take it, but it was a revelation to me to feel the difference in my focusing ability. I am not necessarily pro drug treatment for it. There are many drawbacks to medication. In fact none of my sons took medication for it until they were in their late teens or early twenties. Unfortunately, because of the ADD three of my sons quit school early. They got their GED and three of them have entered college. The other son has just returned from a church mission in Ecuador and is planning on furthering his education as well. Boredom is a very real concern for people with ADD. Never take that lightly. We are all able to hyper-focus if we have the desire to do something that interests us. Good luck with your son. It can be a difficult disorder to deal with. Even though ADD has been difficult for me to deal with at times, it has given me empathy for my children and their problems and concerns with structured learning. Good luck helping your son and remember that there is no one answer. BTW, the son who had the worst case of it could also disrupt our family setting so easily. Warning - this made it easy for him to be the scapegoat in the family. He subsequently was blamed for a number of things that he never did.
Unread 01-20-2004, 08:19 AM
DS with ADHD

My son was diagnosed with ADD his junior year of high school.
He is now 23, and in August graduated from our state university.
When in fifth grade, I knew there were school problems since
he was very bright, articulate, but was terrible about completing
homework. That was a horrible year since the teacher would not
communicate with me about any assignments. She felt it was
his total responsibility. We had him tested with a school psychologist, and the results were inconclusive. All that money,
and no results!! His performance and verbal IQ were over
27 points apart!! We had him tested again his junior year,
with teacher and tutor evaluations, and he was diagnosed with
ADD. He was put on Aderol, and the grades improved! He
graduated from high school, went away to college, refused to
take any medication, and dropped out of school for year. Finally,
he agreed to return to college,but this time he stayed at home
going to a community college. After the AA degree, he then
transferred out again and graduated with his B.S. There is
always hope, but it can be a very bumpy and frustrating road!
He also could cause such disorder in our house with his
melt-downs. Yes, I also see him hyperfocusing on things that
appeal to him, and completely ignore doing things that don't
interest him. His degree is in studio art, so he is still job
searching.
While in college, we again had him tested, and this
psychologist said he did not show signs of ADD. Right, this
was a one on one test!! She did diagnose him with
a Non-verbal learning disorder where his verbal skills are
in the gifted range, but his difficulty lies in abstract reasoning,
analytical thinking, math, and reading other people's nonverbal
signs. It is often mistaken for ADD.
In reflection, we really had to stay on top of him with
his assignments in school. In the long run, it did work out
well. Now, if only we could get our daughter who has an
Auditory processing deficit through college!!!!!!
Unread 01-22-2004, 09:36 PM
No answers

Unfortunatly I have no answers but would also like some info. My Step BIL who is 14 has it as well as his 5yo step brother..... NAd their dad too. But would like some info too!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register