left side pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

left side pain left side pain

Unread 01-15-2004, 02:21 PM
left side pain

What is it with this left side pain, seems like everyone has it, but noone has an answer. I had my hyst (TVH) in July 02, felt good for a while, I would have little twinges every now and then, but thought, hey if thats all there is I can live with that! But now for the last few weeks I've had constant pain in the exact same place. There is a lumpy feeling right at the top of my pelvic bone on the left side that is very tender to the touch, but this is too low to be the ovary, and the pain that I experience all the time is a little higher, around the ovary area. Anyone have any ideas what the lumpyness could be? I am going to see my on Tuesday, but I have to get through the weekend and everyday it is worse and worse. I am sitting at work with my heating pad just to try and get through the day. It hasn't been this bad since before the hyst. I'm just so frustrated, I knew it was a possibillity since I had endo and kept my ovaries, but I was so hoping that would be the end of it. Well I won't go into anymore of it just thought maybe someone on here would have an idea.

Thanks,
Heather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2004, 02:59 PM
left side pain

Hi Heather,

I send you a Great Big Hug! I am Glad that your going to the Doc on Tues. I also suffer from Endo and had my TAH/LSO Nov 4 2003. Needless to say I have had problem after problem. I can now feel that "Good Ole Feeling Again on My Right Side" So My thinking is My Endo has Grown Back Yet Again. I had a Lap done Aug 28 2003 to remove all of the Endo and to No End I contintued to have the same Problems. So therefore I had my TAH/LSO Nov 4 and Guess what? The Endo Was Back!

Endometriosis to me is a Never Ending Battle. The last thing I want is to Have my Only Remaining Right Ovary Removed... I send you a Great Big Hug...Please Hang in There! If you could please let me know how your Doc appt goes. I Hope and Pray that it isnt Endo..... Please keep me informed......I am Still waiting for My Gyn to get off of leave to see her. God Bless
Cheley
Unread 01-15-2004, 03:27 PM
thanks

Thanks for the support, I really needed it right now. I'll let you know what happens. I really like my doc, the first time I saw him he said "lets do whatever we have to to make sure you aren't in pain" that won me right there.

Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2004, 05:37 PM
left side pain

Dear Heather and Seachel,

That endo can seem never ending sometimes. I'm there too... I kept one ovary (the one that didn't hurt at the time)... and I am still in pain and the doctors I saw at Mayo think it is endo... he said it is unlikely to stop while I still have an ovary. It's a hard choice for me since I had sucha hard time on LUpron.

Keep us posted.

Sarah
Unread 01-23-2004, 12:26 PM
saw the doc ?????'s

I finally got in to my Dr. he gave me choices to think about and call in on Monday. He strongly suggests going in and looking at things, which I agree with, zapping any endo that he sees, checking that left side really well. option 1: to take out that left ovary, even if it looks good at the time. Leave the right one for now since I have never had a problem with that side. option 2: take out both ovaries so that if it is endo it won't come back, which scares me since I had such a hard time on lupron also. (I really don't want this one)

On to my question, if I do the first option and leave the right take the left, he said this is an outpatient lap, just like all the other ones I've had to clean out the endo. To anyone who has done this, do you think I would be able to go back to work after a week? I have a desk job, nothing strenuous. They are going to make me use all of my personal time and vacation time for anything I am out and being only January I don't want to give it all up just yet, but I can't go on with this pain.

I appreciate any answers,

Thanx.
Unread 01-23-2004, 01:06 PM
left side pain

Hi Heather

I have had 2 laps for endo in the past, and as for going back to work after a week, I would say maybe. My first one I would have been able to, but not the second one. The second one was more invasive and I had to have my uterosaceral ligaments removed because of the endo, and they had to suspend my uterus, which caused lots of bruising, etc. After that one I would have wanted to wait 2 weeks probably. But, it will all depend on what your doctor finds in there, how extensive the endo is, etc. and how you heal. The incisions themselves are very small, and for me there was not too much pain (on T3's for about 3 days), but the fatigue and gas (in the rib cage and shoulders mostly) was the hardest to deal with.
Good luck in whatever you choose, and I hope it finally puts an end to your pain.
Shelley
Unread 01-23-2004, 02:48 PM
hard not to feel cheated

when you have the hyst, feel great and then.... troubles!

I wonder if you have been following posts from Michelle35, also a fellow endo sufferer who has just had exploratory surgery expecting endo back and was delighted to find out it wasn't , it was adhesions?

I had hyst May 2002, not for endo, kept ovaries. On Jan 12 I had what was thought to be ovarian cyst removed, right oophorectomy and division of adhesions. I had 4 incisions, two small ones above ovaries and two close together on naval to that cyst could be removed intact. Cyst was actually in fallopian tube, a paraovarian - am waiting to learn more about that on next appt.

I had two nights in hospital, could have possibly gone home after 1 but due to low iron and low bp gyn said better to have longer rest! I had some gas pains, from the CO2 and the intestinal ones but no vaginal bleeding or bladder problems at all.

I went to work on 23 Jan ( first day of new school year) and was very tired by midday and needed painkillers by evening. If you have a very active job then I would say try and take as much recovery time as you can.

I am also not do heavy lifting or straining but then haven't since hyst as I had prolapsed bladder and bowel repairs done then also. Oh yes, I did have to wear the wonderfu stockings again for two weeks, right when we have been having a heat wave in NZ!

Wishing you all the best, Linda
Unread 01-24-2004, 05:31 AM
left side pain

Hey Heather!

Sorry to see you going through this too. As lindy-lou said, I had an exploratory lap on Monday. Saw my doc yesterday. I had one major adhesion that was restricting the round ligament on my left side and also adhesions on the left ovary to the side wall and also some other patches of adhesions. Doc says they "took them all down". He also said I was remarkably clean of any endo - but I might still have the microscopic kind that can't be seen and is hard to treat.

We are on "wait and see" how this goes. He and I are very hopeful that this will fix me up ... at least for awhile. If it doesn't then we'll work through it then.

For my body, and this is me ONLY, I could not reconcile to "take the ovaries out" and see if that helps. I just couldn't - not while other options existed.

My advice is to take time to sort through all your options. Do some soul searching about what you want as an outcome and realize that at this point there may be trade-offs.

As far as time off... I had the lap on Monday and went back to work 1/2 day on Friday. I do have a desk job, but I can get up as much as I want and walk around and that makes a difference. I'll go back full time on Monday.

Best wishes to you. PM me if you want!
Unread 01-26-2004, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the input

Thanks for the input everyone. I am waiting for a callback now from the Dr. Office to find out what they think. My DH says "just wait 6 months and then you'll have more personal time". If it wasn't that bad that I could wait 6 months then I wouldn't have even gone to the Doc in the first place. The gastro that I went to did suspect adhesions, so maybe that is all there is and we won't have to take out either ovary. If only it were that easy, this road seems like it will never end.
Unread 01-28-2004, 10:47 AM
Surgery date

I got my surgery date 2/19...he is going to go in laparoscopically, my question is, when they remove the ovaries, even if it is normal size, do they fit through the normal little 1/2 inch incisions, or do they have to make them bigger? I have only had laparoscopy's and my hyst was a tvh, so I've never had any incision bigger than that. I think that being cut scares me more than anything else. I look forward to feeling better after.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register