Ventral/Incisional Hernia? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ventral/Incisional Hernia? Ventral/Incisional Hernia?

Unread 01-16-2004, 06:38 AM
Ventral/Incisional Hernia?

Hi, sisters. I am wondering if anybody out there has had the probably awful experience of developing a hernia at the incision site after an abdominal hysterectomy. The new doc I went to see yesterday said that could be causing my problem, and it's something that might not be able to be felt on physical examination. I've now looked up symptoms of this type of problem, and it appears that this could be what's going on with me. (Great! Another surgery to repair that.) There's no question that I overdid it during my surgery recuperation period, so I really think this might be what's going on. The other alternative is that I could have endometriosis, but my pain definitely lessens when I'm lying down. It's better in the morning when I'm still in bed, but as soon as I get up and start moving around and having bowel movements (sorry to be gross), the pain comes back.

Anybody else out there with experience in this area? Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Judy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2004, 08:04 AM

Judy,
I just sent you a PM a little while ago. I was wondering how your appointment went. I am curious to know what the doctor said about how to find out if it is a hernia for sure. Is there some kind of test to show it or do they just have to go in and see. I saw a post awhile back about someone else who thought they had a similar hernia. Maybe you could look it up on the search mode. I know that I don't have endo because I had a laparoscopy done before my surgery to check for that. I have the exact same symptoms as you. You are the first person to have the same symptoms as me since I have been on the website.
Unread 01-16-2004, 08:11 AM

Hi there. I replied to your post by sending an email. ;o) Wonder if that doesn't work? Anyway, I'm glad that my info might be able to help you, so you can talk to someone about this possibility.

Now, sisters, I'm now wondering what the symptoms of endometriosis are following hysterectomy. Most internet research I've done seems to just focus on endometriosis prior to hysterectomy. Specifically, if the problem is endometriosis, does this pain only flare up when my ovaries are functioning? Does it get worse with activity, or is it just there? Answers to these questions will go a long way toward my knowing whether there's a better chance that it's a hernia or endometriosis. (It could be both probably - yuck!)

Looking more and more like I'm going to have to have a laparoscopy. The GYN recommended physical therapy for scar pain, and that I see a physiatrist, so they can try trigger point blocks and stuff. But the more I look into this, the more I think it's probably an incisional/ventral hernia. . . .

Thanks to all of you!!!

Judy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2004, 08:47 AM

Judy,
I have an interesting observation for you. A few weeks ago I bought a girdle type pair of underwear. I thought it would help with the swelly belly. I noticed that when I wore them it seemed to help with the pain and irritation. I am now wondering since your post if it might be helpful for a hernia if it is one. It might be worth trying. I haven't been wearing mine for a while but I think I will try it again today and see if I see a difference. I was also thinking after reading your post and checking out the internet for ventral incisional hernias that I had incisions made during the laparoscopy that could be possible sites of hernia too. This process of trying to figure things out is like putting a huge puzzel together.
Unread 01-16-2004, 09:20 AM

Interesting. I wonder where I should buy such a thing. Where'd you get yours? It's definitely worth a try!

Thanks. I hope that we get some answers really soon!!!

Judy
Unread 01-16-2004, 03:20 PM

Judy,
I bought mine from Walmart. You can buy them that run down the leg a little or one that is just like underwear. Because I have the left groin pain, I didn't want one that would cut into my leg so I bought the one with legs. I can't remember the brand but it is pretty sturdy. It sure holds everything in.
Unread 01-16-2004, 09:13 PM
Hernia after surgery

Hi, I had my TAH back in Feb 02 and they removed the left ovary at that time. The doctor didn't want to remove both since I was 32 and didn't want me on HRT that early.
Back in December, went to the doctor and I had ANOTHER cyst on the right ovary that was left in. At that time we decided it was time for it to be removed. I went in on Dec 22nd and thru a lap procedure, he removed the cyst and the ovary. On Friday the 26th, I sneezed and tore something inside. As you stated, the only time I was not in horrible pain was when I laid flat on the bed. Monday the 29th, went to see the doctor again and he rushed me in for surgery. I did indeed tear something when I sneezed and had an incarcirated (sp?) hernia. The doctor explained that when they go in they cut the ligaments and the ligaments don't heal too quick due to a poor blood supply. Apparently when I sneezed I tour the ligament in my abdomen and caused a hernia. It is definetly not something to take lightly. I had to have abdominal surgery and spend two more nights in the hospital. It has been 2 1/2 weeks post that surgery and still not 100%...please check with your doctor and let them take a look. The doctor can do a test in the office or send you for a test at the hospital to see if it is a hernia. Take this advice seriously I found out the hard way and now I am dealing with HRT and healing from abdominal surgery...let me know what happens.
Unread 01-21-2004, 07:04 AM
Surgery Scheduled

Hi, all. Just wanted to let you know that (with much trepidation) I have told the new GYN to schedule a laparoscopy. I have been in unbearable pain since my extensive pelvic exam last Thursday (almost a WEEK), with no meds other than around 25-30 over-the-counter pills a day (Tylenol 8-hour, Aleve, Motrin, aspirin), and DH has just started a new roofing job today which involves 1.5-2 hours of travel each way. So I'm not going to be able to lie around and do nothing.

I am SO ANGRY with my former OB/GYN/surgeon for not telling me about my having adenomyosis when he got the surgical report from the hysterectomy. I really think that I may have both a hernia and endometriosis - but whatever it is, I am praying that they find it and successfully fix it when I have the surgery in early March. (Can't do it until then because of DH's job. I'm not working, and we can't screw up HIS job too.)

It's really hard to stay positive with all of this going on, but I am normally a Pollyanna (sp.?), so I'm thinking this surgery will fix it!! (Power of positive thinking.) I do know that I'm DEFINITELY not going to overdo it during the recuperation time, like I did last time. (I too sneezed some and felt like my insides were falling out, early on. I think I also might have tripped and fallen during the recovery period, and that definitely could've jarred something in there.)

Thanks again for your support and input, sisters!

Judy
Unread 01-21-2004, 07:30 AM

Hi!! I Knowwwwww where you are at my friend!!!
I had my hyst in June, 3 weeks later I had to have
emergency surgury for the ventral hernia. I know
at this point you are asking yourself 'what the hell
happened' Myself, I think this is a aftermath of a hyst.
Please be very careful now, I have now had '3' hernias
sence the hyst!! If you do not recover as soon as you
think you should, runnnnnn to another Dr. I kept thinking
this pain will pass, MONTH AFTER MONTH, in reality there
was "2" more in there!!! As for the girdle myth, I wore
them every single day, even sleeping with one on, did
not help. At this point 'know your body' if it seams like
somethings wrong to you, pleaseeeee go to another Dr.
If you see any swelling of any kind, go to a DR. I think
ventral hernias tend to spawn other hernias for some
reason. I just had on 01/09/04 surgury to repair the ventral
that had become unwrapped, plus repair '2' more that
has now spawned from the ventral!! The 'signs' were there
I just didn't know what they were. My Dr sure didn't clue
me in to what I should be looking for!! I am not trying to
scare you, I just want you to be safe, and aware of what
to be looking for. I didn't have a clue.. <<<<<Hugs>>>>>
Unread 01-21-2004, 07:36 AM

Hi, Linda. I will DEFINITELY go to someone sooner if I have any pain other than the regular healing stuff, after this surgery. I can't believe that I've suffered this long without doing anything about it, but the pain management doc and another GYN said that I shouldn't have surgery if I could avoid it because I had such problems with the hyst. Bad advice, I think. I'll know in a couple of months, though!

Thanks so much for your advice and caring.

Judy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register