Get This One!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Get This One!!! Get This One!!!

Unread 01-16-2004, 05:59 PM
Get This One!!!

My husband has been looking into long term care insurance for our golden years. We are both 53 but he is getting quotes from different companies. If you are unfamiliar with this it is in case we need home care, assisted living, or a nursing home.

I knew that I had to wait the 5 year mark, or so I thought, to be eligible because of the ovarian cancer. Well, this particular company, which this man was pushing, and my husband seemed to like, WILL NOT COVER ANYONE WITH STAGE 3 OVARIAN CANCER AT ANY TIME NO MATTER HOW LONG YOU ARE A SURVIVOR!!

Well, that kinda got the hair raised on my back and I gave this saleman a piece of my mind. MY husband just sat there with his mouth hanging and I think that the salesman was sorry he started with me.

I wanted to ask him about other womans cancers but too but I was soo mad that I left and went to the gym instead.

Has anyone else run into anything like this?? I thought that once we reach the 5 year mark we are good to go!!

I just had to post this.

Rosalie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2004, 06:27 PM
Get This One!!!

Hi Rosalie

My own DH purchased the same type insurance earlier last fall. We actually had the agents come to our home to discuss it. I warned my DH ahead of time, that I would not be eligible. Both my husband and the two agents insisted I complete the early questionaire. The second question on the questionaire was: Have you ever been diagnosed with metatastic cancer? I answered yes, and that ended that.
I knew ahead of time that it would be a waste of my time.
The five year mark aside, once the word metastatic comes into play, they loose all interest.
I was glad that my DH got this insurance.
If at some point in time he needs extra physical care, his entire nest egg will not be eaten up. And it was relatively cheap.

oxoxox karenann
Unread 01-16-2004, 08:47 PM
Unwanted and Unloved...

by the insurers. What else almost would one expect? I hope your husbands can be covered at least. Seems that when you NEED the coverage, you can't get it. They hear cancer and metastatic and run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2004, 04:21 AM
Get This One!!!

Rosalie,

Several years ago my employer added long term care coverage. As I recall, the preliminary questionnaire asked if I had been diagnosed with cancer of a major body organ (or words to that effect) within the preceeding 48 months. I asked my gyn-onc if he would consider my uterus a major body organ, and he said he would have to say yes, so I didn't bother to complete the questionnaire. I had thought that since I was 52 at the time of surgery, what might be considered a major organ to a 25-year-old might not be major any more to me. I wonder if an ovary would be considered a major body organ for purposes of my questionnaire? I thought the wording of the question was rather strange in any event.

My understanding was that they were offering a lot less stringent screening requirements for employees who signed up early, but those who tried to sign up after an initial enrollment period would have to complete a much more extensive questionnaire and meet a more difficult qualification process.

Based on the language of my questionnaire, assuming your ovary was a major body organ, you would have met the screening requirement after four years. In many cases you can get coverage through work or other large group or organization that you wouldn't be able to get on your own. Is there a possibility you might be able to look into obtaining nursing home insurance through your employer or your husband's employer?

MoeKay

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register