Felt Like I Was Dying Today!!!! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Surviving Parenthood

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Felt Like I Was Dying Today!!!! Felt Like I Was Dying Today!!!!

Unread 01-19-2004, 06:58 AM
Felt Like I Was Dying Today!!!!

I understand your frustration. My two adult kids also both
had learning disabilities. I did a google search, and found an
article in April 03 stating that SC received 88 million dollars in
federal aid for a program called Read First. This is funded by
Congress and also called No Child Left Behind. THis money
is to be used to help K-3rd graders with poor reading skills.
In the past, I was very assertive with the schools. Do you
have everything this teacher said in writing? I would request
that so you have documentation of everything she said such
as he will fail with the date on it, he cannot receive testing
or help until he actually fails, etc. I think if this is not in writing
and she feels pressured by higher ups, she may deny this or
say that you misunderstood what she said. Also, when in writing,
you can always forward a copy to the principle, superintendent,
and even to the State dept. of Education in Columbia.
I also would call the State dept. of Ed. in Columbia asking
specifically about the law and children's rights for help.
If this teacher said your child is in emminent danger of failing,
I would think the state would REQUIRE the school to do IMMEDIATE testing with a treatment plan to avoid failure.
It's not fun fighting a well established system like the schools,
but sometimes we are put in that position regardless of
our desires. I hope your meeting with the principle or
superindentant goes well. I would go into those meetings
armed with facts from the state dept. of ed.
Good luck with your battle!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2004, 07:43 AM

Dottie .. please dont be too upset . I had to redo a year two times .. once in secondary three and once in my first year at Junior college . Sometimes its for the best . Years later I became a teacher and this temporary setback made me understand my pupils more . I made mistakes as a teacher but realised thta my pupils taught me the best way of teaching them .

my best memory LOL was trying to explain to the weakest class what the phrase UNDERSIDE OF THE CAT meant . I had to climb on to the teachers table in front of a class of 15 year olds and meow while pointing to my chest . They got the point FAST . Often I had to pantomine .

Perhaps you might want t o consider a transfer to another school . Sometimes redoing a year is not a set back but a ste forward .

Now I have had cousins who wouldnt have made it in SG but are doing well in Canada now . One is a doctor .

mei
Unread 02-17-2004, 05:39 PM

((((mei)))) Thank you so much for sharing your own experience: you've showed us how struggling can actually lead to a positive experience

Just this week-end, DH and I realized that there, definately, was hope for our son: a young neighbor was sharing how he went through much of the same issues as our child is going through, including the whole suspension, special ed and medication routine. Not only is this young man a well adjusted, successful adult, he is also and extremely calm adult.... surprising for one who had such behavioral problems

Hang in there (((Dottie)))) your precious DS will survive this. You know, most of the time these things are hardest on us, the parents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2004, 05:43 PM
Smile - Felt Like I Was Dying Today!!!! Update On My Son

Hello ladies.
Thanks again for all of the responses. My child has started Huntington Learning Center. He attends 3 days per week after school. He has been going for over 2 1/2 weeks. We are paying for this out of our own pocket.We met with the school. They did tell us that they are not going to fail him "Yet", they will give him a fair chance until the end of the year. Anyway, We are paying $756. per month for this.
He is doing very well so far. We went for our first update. They said he is really excelling. God, I hope so, Because we can't afford this for very long. They started him out pretty low, but saw that he needed more of a challenge, so they moved him up. He really enjoys it and sort of claims an ownership to the place.
When I ask him each day how it went, his response is "fine". I get nothing else.
We are hopeful that he will pass this year. Since starting Huntington, he has moved up one reading level. We have 3 more to go before he needs to pass. We hope to have him beyond that.
They also tested to see if he had any learning disabilities. They (huntington-- did not believe he had any--only that he was a slow reader.
I will keep you up to date .
Thanks.
Dottie
Unread 02-18-2004, 07:03 PM

Up a grade level in 2 1/2 weeks? That's fantastic!! I know it's very costly, but it sounds like Huntington is helping your son where the school system failed. If you are able to afford it, this is money well spent to help your son catch up to grade level.
Congratulations to you for being so proactive in helping your son!!
Unread 02-19-2004, 06:38 AM

Hi I think that's it's wonderful that your son has such loving giving parents. With your help, I'm sure that he'll succeed in life.

s
Unread 02-19-2004, 05:48 PM

I'm so happy that you found a way to help your son Improving by one whole level in that short a time is simply awesome. You must be sooo proud of him. And what a boost to his self-esteem!!!

Hopefully, at the rate he's going, you won't have to disbuse too much to get him to up to par.

Just a thought: is it possible that your child is not challenged enough in his regular class? Often, children who are not challenged are bored and end up underachieving.
Unread 02-19-2004, 09:32 PM
locki

Hello--
He actually moved up a reading level in that time period, not a grade level. I'm sorry I did not clarify that.

Thanks for all of the support ladies.

Dottie
Unread 03-04-2004, 02:11 PM

Hi Dottie. I realize that this thread is a few months old, and I wanted to know how it is going for your son.

My son is in 2nd grade, also, and I have had to have multiple meetings with the teacher.

You must DOCUMENT everything that you are saying and their response. And then make the teacher sign it.

I hope things are going better. You didn't mention in your original post-how much experience does his current teacher have?
Unread 03-04-2004, 02:32 PM
from an LD Tutor

I am a tutor for a school district. You need to know that as a parent you are the authority. They cannot retain your child if you say no AND you can request testing. He will be evaluated by the school pyschologist and then the referral will get done. I have students who HAVE NOT been retained. I am a learning disability tutor. Call the principal and voice your concerns! You have many rights. Look up IDEA on the web and your rights as a parent in IEP (individualized education plans).

Shannon

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register