I know you're probably sick of me, but I'm so nervous | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I know you're probably sick of me, but I'm so nervous I know you're probably sick of me, but I'm so nervous

Unread 01-17-2004, 08:28 AM
I know you're probably sick of me, but I'm so nervous

I wasn't even this freaked out before my hyst. (probably because I only had 2 days between to think about it, and those 2 days were in the hospital!). But this surgery on Monday has got me very nervous. I'm considering cancelling the procedure. I just am so afraid that the adhesions will be small, or the pain will be all in my head. And today the pain is hardly there. Maybe I don't need the surgery.

AARRGGHH! My doctor called in some Zanax to calm me down, I've taken 1 already, and I'm still jittery.

What is wrong with me?

Laura I'm just a big
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2004, 08:46 AM

Laura,

Hey, you !!! Not sick of you at all! Hope the zanax is working. Take it as instructed.

Endo and adhesions are like real estate (location, location, location). Unlike other things in life .... size really does not matter. Don't stress it sweetheart.

You see, my lovely doctor (that's not sarcasm ... he's wonderful) thinks that my ovaries are shot and will have to come out and there is a HUGE mess in there to deal with.

I think its just a bit of endo/adhesions that made their way to a hot spot for pain and he'll just be in and out on Monday. That was the case in 1997 and I think that is it now (different doc in 1997). I'll be shocked if the quantity is large (although the pain when it hits is staggering).

Hang in there. PM me if ya like.
Unread 01-17-2004, 12:42 PM

Haaaa hang in there Laura....You will be alright.
I know your scared honey, but doc wouldn't be wanting to do this if not needed.
Just keep coming in here when your fears get ahold of ya, there will always be sisters to lean a hand and a heart.
Take deep breath, say a prayer. My thoughts are with you.
Deb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2004, 01:48 PM

Dear Laura,

I had the same problems before my hyst... I was so anxious. The Gyn gave me Xanax too but once I got the prescription I never had to take it ... I think it was just reassuring to know I had it just in case.

My surgery is Feb4th and I sometimes wonder the same thing... what if the Gyn/Onc doesn't find anything! I don't know what to expect but I don't think I have anything big going on down there... I think I just have little persistant and annoying things wreaking havoc with my nerves. Time will tell.

Make sure to let your doctor know that you felt better over the weekend. Do you think the Xanax is helping the pelvic pain? One other lady on the road has mentioned that she noticed improvement when she took Xanax... I don't know what that means if anything.... maybe nervous system involvement... I know my doctor has prescribed Elavil and that is supposed to help with the pain amplification that can happen within the nervous system when you have constant pain.

best wishes and please post the outcome when you feel up to it. I am anxious to hear how it goes.

Sarah
Unread 01-17-2004, 02:08 PM

Hi Laura!!

I understand the case of pre-surgical jitters, I really do! I had them too...bigtime!! It seemed to me that the waiting was the worst part of the hyst and also for the surgery I just had 11 days ago to repair this fistula.

You're going to get through this!! Just wanted to let you know that you're in my prayers right now..that you can get some calming peace before Monday, and you will also be in my prayers on Monday as well!!

Just think..this time next week, it'll be behind you and you'll be on the mend!
Unread 01-17-2004, 02:41 PM

You'll be in my prayers too. ((((((((Hugs))))))))

Monalees
TAH/BSO for endometrial & cervical adenocarcinoma/bladder rupture/Dec/02
Unread 01-17-2004, 05:28 PM

Laura I had similar worries before my surgery.

I had a 10 cm lump and everytime a new doctor would see it, they'd say "How are you handling the pain?" When I would reply that I have none I'd get such puzzled looks from them. After enough visits like that I began to wonder "what if the lump is actually GONE and they open me up for NOTHING?"

That was my big worry.

My doctor reassured me that they do a very thorough internal as soon as I'm unconscious to determine again where the lump is. She said they'll know if a 10 cm mass is suddenly missing.

Sure enough, it was still there, they got it all -- and now I'm home recouperating.

You'll do fine. Take the Zanax if you think it may help.

s
Unread 01-18-2004, 02:02 PM

Laura,
I think it is normal to be apprehensive. The fear of the unknown can be trying. I had an exploratory lap a year ago, after undergoing many CT Scans, MRI's, Colonscopies and other tests, my greatest fears were realized, the doc found nothing. I will not kid you, it was heartbreaking, but at the same time at least I knew that I didn't have some life threatening disease. It was at this time that I started in pain mgmt and began my new life.

Good luck on Monday. You do whatever your tells you to do. Only you can know what is best for you. Whatever your decision your sisters will be here with support and s
Unread 01-21-2004, 06:11 AM

Hey Honeybunches, I am having surgery tomorrow and I know exactly how you feel. I am scared they will not find anything and then I am scared that they will find endo and adheasions. We need to find out and move forward. This has been such a horrible year and I feel like when I tell people including my family and work that I am never well and that this is all something that I should handle better. I try to feel well but i live on motrin and tylenol pm at night to get to sleep, so i can function as a mom and go to work every day. I have had so many test so far and they have all been negative thank God! but my lap tomorrow hopefully will have some questions answered. Hang in there and you will get through it we all do some how. take care and good luck on your decision, never think that you are a bother, we are all so lucky to have each other. Mary
Unread 01-21-2004, 07:05 AM

Hi, I pray you are on your way to a wonderful recovery!!
I'm praying here in Dallas for you!!! Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register