no hospital stay | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

no hospital stay no hospital stay

Unread 01-17-2004, 01:41 PM
no hospital stay

I keep reading about everyone staying at the hospital for at least 3-4 days. I have NO hospital stay, leaving the same day as surgery. does this sound right? anyone ehard of this before? my dr says its because my entire procedure is bbeing done laparoscopically
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2004, 02:13 PM
no hospital stay

I only have one frame of reference, my boss about three years ago had her hysterectomy done laproscopically and she was in the hospital 2 days (the day of, the next day and left by 9am on the third) and she was still told to take a month off from work. I hope that this helps. Remember be proactive in your health, ask questions and raise a fuss if you have to,, this is no time to be "lady like"

Sara
Unread 01-17-2004, 02:20 PM
no hospital stay

I had a TVH and was released the next morning after surgery. My entire stay was a little more than 24 hrs.

I have heard people say they went home the same day, but they are few and far in between.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2004, 03:28 PM
no hospital stay

My LAVH surgery is scheduled for 02/02. The doctor told me I would be in the hospital at least one night and maybe two. I will be out of work a minimum of 4 weeks, with weeks 5 and 6 being part time.
Unread 01-17-2004, 06:34 PM
no hospital stay

I had LAVH on Monday at 7:30 a.m. and was released on Tuesday at about 2:00. I had very little pain, but don't think I could have gone home the same day because I was still too out of it from the anesthesia and narcotics. I *was* originally scheduled as outpatient (I believe that was an insurance company requirement), but the surgeon said from the start that I would be staying over one night.

I have heard a few women here say they had no overnight stay at all, so it's certainly possible.

I do believe that your doctor has the last word, and the hospital won't throw you out if he/she thinks you need to stay.
Unread 01-17-2004, 06:46 PM
no hospital stay

I'm scheduled for a lavh 2/4-my doc hasn't said how long I'd be in the hospital my pre-op is 1/29.I was thinking about 2 to 4 days but only just overnite?that would be wonderful.My doc didn't really go into details about recovery or what 2 expect-I'm learning alot on this wonderful site.everyone is so generous with loving and kind thoughts-So of us wouldn't receive it anywhere else-it is much welcomed.shelley
Unread 01-18-2004, 10:56 PM
no hospital stay

I was told by my doc that if she is able to do my surgery laparoscopically, I may be able to come home that evening. I think a lot of it depends on how you feel, if you can go to the bathroom, keep down some food, etc. I know myself I would rather be at home, but I only live 5 minutes from the hospital so if I had any problems I could be back there in a flash. Best to ask your doctor what their policy is on keeping you if you really don't feel up to going home. Good luck !!
Unread 01-18-2004, 11:31 PM
no hospital stay

My OB said that if I was just having a TVH I would only be in the hospital overnight, but since I was having two other procedures done at the same time, I would probably stay for 2 nights. I felt really good on the 1st day pre-op and after he checked on me he said that if I REALLY wanted to go home that afternoon (a total of about a 25 hour stay), I could. I decided that one more night couldn't hurt...I'd still have access to the big gun pain meds if I wanted, etc. WRONG!! I got a sinus headache and stuffy nose so bad that I couldn't put the head of my bed down and hardly slept all night. I almost called my DH to bring me some nose spray. Of course there were no decongestants ordered prn for me, so basically I just suffered. But I got up...walked a bit, dressed in my going home sweat suit...put a bit of make-up on and when my OB came in he said, "You are SO out of here" and I was home by 10:30 AM. When I laid down on my couch and immediately was more comfortable than ANY time in that nasty hospital bed I wished that I had come home the night before!

Long story short: If you have good support at home and a comfortable place to rest, no complications and are reasonably close to the hospital...go home!

Best of Luck!
Shel

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register