Problem after problem years after hyster | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Problem after problem years after hyster Problem after problem years after hyster

Unread 01-17-2004, 06:03 PM
Problem after problem years after hyster

Hi
I am new to the forum. I had my hysterectomy almost 5 years ago. I have had nothing but trouble since.

I have had bladder spasms, frequent bladder infections, and now incontinence. The incontinence started a year ago. I do not feel it and with the bladder spasms I am on medication. The bladder spasm medication helps but it never stops.

I have been seeing a urologist for a year for this. This week he did an IVP. Nothing showed up. In April he is going to check for vesicovaginal fistula.

Can anyone tell me how long there down time was and how long they had to be off work?

I would like to know so I can prepare to be off work.

If anyone wants to talk to me about there experiences in the life of hysterectomies, please let me know.

Thanks,
Brenda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2004, 07:28 PM

Brenda,

I am so sorry to hear you are still having problems all this time. The 31st of this month I will hit my 1 year anniversary since my hyster. Truth be told I am still having problems with pain. Nothing connected to my bladder or anything like that though. I am just still very tender in my whole belly area. I had a large tumor on my right ovary removed, as well as everything else (ovaries, uterus, cervix) the surgeon also went from side to side and right up to my lungs preforming base biopsys on everything since the tumor was malignant. My incision was verical running from my pubic bone up to about an inch past my belly button. Anyway, I was off work for 6 weeks but even after I returned to work it was slow going and I remember I got tired quite easily for the first few months. I was quite tender and sore for several months with the intensity tapering off when I hit about 6 months post-op. Now that is about where I am today (feeling about the same as I did at 6 months post-op). Almost a year later my abdomin is still quite tender to the touch. I get cramping feelings in my lower right side and I still just basically FEEL my surgery every day. I have been back and forth to Dr's since about August 2003 trying to find out the source of my pain. Adhesiens have been mentioned but thats all .. just mentioned. I have to admit I am getting very frustrated with all of this because I had thought that by now my surgery would have been just a memory, certainly nothing I can still feel. As of today's date I am waiting for a call from my gyno with another appointment date. I am hoping he will decide to go in there with a scope and have a good look around and tell me whats up. During an ultra sound I had in October they also discovered some gallstones but I am having no symptoms from that what so ever. Last week I saw a GI doctor and he agreed my pain is not connected to my gallbladder in any way. So, thats why Im back to square one .. so to speak .. trying to find the source of the pain.

I hope your urologist and find the source of your problems and will get things "fixed" ASAP for you hon. Keep us posted on any news you might get.

Oh, and welcome to the site too. The sisters here are AMAZING and have been a HUGE source of info and support for me.

Shannon
Unread 01-17-2004, 07:44 PM

Hi Shannon

I had adhesions before my hysterectomy and they cut those but two months later they were back.

They cut them again during my hysterectomy.

I had my gall bladder and appendix taken out two years ago. They found adhesions again and cut them.

So you may be feeling them.

Thanks for responding and keep bugging your dr

Brenda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2004, 06:01 AM
hi ladies

I'm over 4 years post op and i've been in the Hospital 4 times since my last one was for 17 days due to infections.
ADHESIONB\s I am well informed on them for one i have them that is what hospitalized me each time>
I belong to a support group and am working closely with them to pass a resolution so that adhesions is a known disease and it will help millions of adhesion suffers and i'm working with a reporter so that i can get an article done. My resolution was sent to Washington D.C.
ok Adhesions are very complex...one thing more surgery means more adhesions. Most people should not have surgery unless absoultly neccesarry. there are barriers and some new ones on the the market but nothing is 100% . There really is no cure as of yet. Adhesions can cause cramping, pulling pinching tugging type of pain and yes very painful i spend a lot of time in bed with a heating pad. I recently had seprafilm put in there back in Sept. of2003, i don't think its working because i'm back to the way i was before not eating and in pain. then 2days later i had a hole in my intestines and was rushed up to emergency surgery the adhesions have thinned out my intestinal walls i also had a resection, these darn things love the intestines.
adhesions really never go away so it is very possible that your pain is from adhesions. you need to talk to your doctor or find one that will help you!
they ONLY way to truely tell if you have adhesions is through a scope or in my case a laperotomy i'm such a mess they don't do scopes on me anymore. you can not find adhesions through blood work x-rays of any type..you need to bugg your doctor to do a laperscope but......keep this in mind surgery is not always the answer but it can bring relief for a bit. my relief only lasted 4 months this time! so each time i had surgery the shorter the time span.
Good luck and God Bless, may the angels watch over you! I hope this helped!
Love Colette
Unread 01-18-2004, 08:55 AM

Wow Brenda!

You sure have had a rough go of it!! It's been a heck of a long time to be still having problems. You must be one strong lady to endure it and you deserve to be better soon.

Did your dr. do a coloscopy? (that's the one where they put the little camera up there to view the bladder) I had an ivp & coloscopy to determine where my fistula was.

I've since had the corrective surgery & am told I have to wear this catheter until it's healed. My checkup is this Fri so it'll have been a couple weeks..maybe it'll be healed & they can take it out..we'll see.

Anyway, I was told that it's a 4-6 week recovery period for a vaginal repair like I've had & a 6-8 week recovery if it's repaired abdominally. I also read someplace..emedicine I think, that 'pelvic floor rest' is recommended by many doctors for 3 months after..guess that means no abdominal exercises for a while.

If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Have you thought about checking out a new urologist to get a second opinion and possibly get the tests done sooner than April?

You're in my thoughts and prayers, Brenda!!
Unread 01-18-2004, 04:29 PM

Colette,
Thank you so much for the information. I have yet to get a doctor to sit down and really talk to me about my pain I am still having. I am hoping when I see my gyno (appointment yet to be set) I will get some clear answers. I do understand that is surgery is performed to clear up the adhesiens nothing is definate that they wont come back. That is part of the reason why I dont think I want anymore surgery but at the same time I just want this "Im still feeling my hyster" pain to go away you know hon.

Anyway, I am so sorry to hear your still having such problems too. I had no idea this hyster thing could be so complicated.

Shannon
Unread 01-19-2004, 10:25 AM
pain after hysto still

Hi, I began bleeding rectally last year. But I didn;t want to go thru tests or bother another dr. I know nurses make bad pts! Ok I go see a GI dr and he says I have a hemrhoid and several large viens that go way up the bowel. He said they are causing the bleeding. But because I am still making endo tissue since I take EStrogen he w ill go for a look next month. I take medication for a chronic pain and I know that backs me up and makes my bowel work harder. The GYn said he has done many bowel resections on pts like me due to blockage of bowel. And I had that at time of hysterectomy and they cleaned me out good. Now After the colonoscpy the Gyn is thinking time for Lap too. I had my TAH/BSO in 4/99 and the pain has never gone away. I still feel pain where my ovaries once were. I know I have scar tissue. But I wasn't expecting such a hard road since the operation. I needed it. This wasn't done cause periods were a nusence. Will let you know what happens. Tara

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register