vaginal bleeding 2 years post tah | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

vaginal bleeding 2 years post tah vaginal bleeding 2 years post tah

Unread 01-18-2004, 12:36 AM
vaginal bleeding 2 years post tah

Hi. I am new to this board and was wondering if anyone can help.
A few weeks ago I noticed some pinkish discharge and not sure if sure be alarmed. I had a tah with ovary removal and also cervix. So I don't know what to make of this. Also a lot of left lower pain. Doctor thought I had diverticulits but the ct was negative. Any Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2004, 06:58 AM

It seems to me that any new bleeding needs to be checked out. It could be something very simple or it could be a sign of something that needs to be investigated further. I think you should see your .
Unread 01-18-2004, 08:07 AM
Hi Ramsfan

Hi , what a coincident!! I have been having some urgency problems which at first my doctor thought came from the type of blood pressure meds I was on. Like maybe they were the cause of me feeling like I have to pee all the time...they were acting like a diuretic. So we changed meds and I've still got it. But the thing is, just last night I had a real urgency and when I went, I have some blood. So unusual since it's been over 3 years since my TAH and hey....I have nothing down there that should be bleeding. This morning there's less of it and I'm not sure if I'll call my doctor in the morning or not. I'm thinking......we all like to diagnose ourselves, maybe it's been some kind of abcess and it burst....I do feel better this morning but this has been going on since November and each time I've gone to the doctor, and told him about this feeling of the need to pee, he blames it on my meds.

I do have Diverticulitis. And I've never had blood from that. Plus the fact, Diverticulitis wouldn't cause you to bleed from your vagina to begin with. You would be bleeding from your anus. But you do end up with an awful pain on the left side from Diverticulitis which can last for more than a day.

But I'm thinking the same thing....if you have had everything surgically removed, which with me I had my uterus removed also, what else is left to bleed but your bladder? Let us know if you end up going to the doctor and I'll do the same.

Big s,
~Royjean~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2004, 08:09 AM

I agree..I'd suggest that you contact your doctor. It may be nothing to be concerned about, but you'll have peace of mind once you've discussed it with your doctor!

Oh and a big WELCOME to Hystersisters!!
Unread 01-18-2004, 09:17 AM

Dear Ladies,

Please, Please, Please, see your Doctor. While it is more than likely something simple like a cyst in your vagina, you can't be too careful. Have you been to your Gyn for regular checkups? Just because we have had hysterectomies does not mean we can do without regular checkups.

Sharon
Unread 01-18-2004, 09:22 AM

Hey Sharon!

Great advice! Can I ask you something? I had a tah & was told I only need a pap smear every 3 yrs now as cervix is gone.

However..as I still have my ovaries, how would they detect problems with them? I guess what I'm wondering is does a pap smear show ovarian cancer or how do they test for that??

Not terribly worried, but extremely curious..
Unread 01-18-2004, 09:38 AM
Hello Sharon

Hi, I go to my doctor quite often....to my family doctor since I have to on his advice because of high blood pressure. I still go to a GYN too every year. To Brighterfuture.....even though I had everything removed......ovaries, uterus and cervix, I was told by my GYN to still see her every year and have what is called a vaginal smear. I have heard of some GYN's saying your cervix is gone no need in having one done every year, so it's up to your doctor I suppose. Plus, I'm sure that a pap smear would still show anything suspicious....you know cancerous cells if you had cancer of the ovaries. Okay ladies.....back to what I was saying, my particular problem started back in September when my regular doctor changed my blood pressure meds. Maybe a coincident? But from September until right before Thanksgiving, with each change of meds, I kept having this urgency to pee. He attributed it to the medicine causing me to have this. Then with the last change of meds in Thanksgiving, this feeling went away. About 2 weeks ago, the feeling came back, only this time I really have to pee, not just the feeling of having to....I really do pee. I have an appointment coming up since I go every 2 months anyway so figured okay, I can wait until I go. But if you read my message to ramsfan, something weird happened last night. I had this weird sensation of........you remember how it is when you first start your period...that kind of feeling. A little cramping too, that is a feeling you never forget. And when I went to the bathroom I had at first some kind of leakage....kind of pinkish at first then later on blood. Not a whole lot and not real red but blood. I have not had this since before my hysterectomy. I have heard so many ladies have bladder problems especially after having their cervix and uterus removed and now I'm getting a little scared. I told my hubby if there is still sign of blood in the morning of course I will call my doctor but if it goes away.....you know how it is, no pain or anything, you just feel it's a waste of time to call. I will be seeing my doctor anyway in a couple of weeks and if I can I am planning on waiting unless I keep seeing this.

I have to add......ever since my TAH in September 2000, I have had nothing but trouble. Could be this is how I'd be anyway...but it sure makes you wonder. Thanks so much for listening.

s,
~Royjean~
Unread 01-18-2004, 09:53 AM

Hi Brighterfuture,

No, a pap smear would not detect ovarian cancer. Unfortunately, ovarian cancer can be very difficult to diagnose. I wish there was something as simple as a pap test for that. If you have symptoms or a reason to worry (like a family history of ovarian cancer) your Doctor can do a CA125 blood test which can (but not necessarily) indicate ovarian cancer. Barring that I am sure a CT scan would show any tumors on your ovaries or in your abdomen.

Royjean,

Is the bleeding coming from your bladder or your vagina? If it is your bladder, it could be something simple like a UIT. However, at this point you should not have any bleeding from your vagina. If you are, have it checked out immediately. Please.

Sharon
Unread 01-18-2004, 10:28 AM
Hi Sharon

Hi, as far as I can tell.....it seems to be coming from my vagina on the left side, if that makes sense. I've even tried looking with a mirror but I'm not a real agile type person so seeing what is going on is kind of hard. It almost feels like a "bulge" down there on the left side. With all this urgency to pee problem I thought it just had to be from my urethra so it kind of surprised me when it seemed to be coming from my vagina. I'm like you, what in tarnation can be happening there? But the pain I feel off and on, feels like it's up and inside me if that makes sense. Then too, forgot to mention last night after seeing this bloody tinge, I started having not only the cramps but my back started hurting too. Starting from the left side going across to the right, right above my behind. I am totally falling apart. As I said, if this is going on in the morning, nothing more to do but call my doctor, which will probably take a week getting in and by then I'll be better. Thanks.

And I totally forgot to tell Brighterfuture about the CA125 blood test. That's what I had done when a mass, that my GYN had felt during a routine checkup, showed up over my right ovary after having a MRI. My GYN really suspected cancer, thus my TAH. The blood tests didn't come back 100% positive, but still very suspicious. But thank the Lord, no cancer, just a huge myoma that couldn't be removed with a laparoscope.

s,
~Royjean~
Unread 01-18-2004, 11:15 AM
have you seen a urologist?

The word bulge sounds suspicious! I wonder if your bladder has prolapsed and is pressing on your vagina wall? The same can happen to your bowel and small intestine and these 'celes' can occur before and after surgery. They can lead to infections and irritations throughout your pelvic area, including your kidneys.

I had LAVH for enlarged prolapsed uterus, anemia, pain, huge clots etc. but was also diagnosed with bladder prolapse including a twisted urethra which was corrected by urolgosit with a bladder sling ( Burch) during my hyst op, a rectocele -bowel prolapse and enterocele - small intestine prolapse that has twisted.

Path report came back with cin ll and hpv which was not even in the picture as smear year before was fine. Since then I go for a 'vault' smear ( horrible word, but no cervix just a cuff so that's what it gets called) every year and I was told that if clear after 3 years then I could forget them. Since reading more on this site and especially for me the hpv connection, I will continue to have annual smears taken for my own peace of mind.

I had a ultrasound done vaginally and even with a cuff, it showed a cyst on right ovary that was giving me grief. Scan showed likely to be a simple cyst but still had surgery to remove and am waiting for path report on that. Had ovary removed as well as it has given me grief on and off since PID 20 years ago from an IUD.

I hope you will soon get a proper diagnosis as these are not symptoms to ignore and if you don't feel you have received a thorough check up then try for a second opinion. Please keep us up to date, take care, Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register