vaginal bleeding 2 years post tah - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

vaginal bleeding 2 years post tah vaginal bleeding 2 years post tah

Unread 01-18-2004, 12:35 PM
Hello Linda

Hi Linda.....I know, doesn't that "bulge" sound awful? I don't know how other to describe it other than that. I am not a touchy type person if you know what I mean. I am the type that hates touching myself. So after seeing this pinkish discharge I felt around and as I said on the left side down there, closer to the back, not all the way inside, it feels like a swollen place not sore or anything but it's bigger there than on the right side. Someone else suggested to me maybe a prolapsed bladder. My own gastrologist told me, after being diagnosed with diverticulitis that quite possibly my diverticulosis could have come from having a hysterectomy. He can't rule it out completely that it wasn't the cause. But he explained to me all they have to do when you have a TAH and how even the simplest movement of the colon and intestines could aggravate it and that's why now I may have diverticulitis. So I can see how a TAH could also disrupt other organs. But why now? I mean it's been over 3 years for me now although I have to say, in these almost 3˝ years I've had a lot happen to me. You sound like you've been through the grinder too through the years. At least with me, it was all done in one surgery.

So the pap smears are called a "vault" smear? ha ha My GYN calls them a vaginal smear and if you read what I posted, says she feels I should get one every year no matter what. She says a women should stay in the habit of seeing their GYN no matter they've had a TAH just so they can be checked for other things. She says she uses her eyes as well as feeling and testing and you just may let some important things go by the wayside. Like me for example....since I'm not a touchy me person, at least my breasts are checked once a year! I also get a yearly mammogram too.

Thanks for your suggestions. I just happened to check again and I'm still bleeding. Not bleeding like you would on your period but enough I need a panty liner. I think I will be calling my doctor in the morning. Just dawned on me.....they may not even be open since tomorrow is a holiday.

s,
~Royjean~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2004, 01:50 AM
vaginal bleeding 2 years post tah

Hi

Any bleeding after a hysterectomy should be reported to your doctor immediately. Whatever's causing it needs investigation. Please make an appointment right now!!!!! This is no time for self diagnosis.

Unread 01-19-2004, 01:58 AM
vaginal bleeding 2 years post tah

Whoops!!!

Just wanted to clarify my post. When I said 'any bleeding after a hyst should be reported to your doctor', I meant to say 'any bleeding TWO YEARS OUT from a hyst should be reported'. Sorry about that!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2004, 07:02 AM
Hi everyone, have appt.

Hi again.....just talked to GYN's office this morning and they have scheduled me for 1 p.m. today (1/19). I was so surprised they did. Normally unless you are on your death bed, it takes a day or two to get in. And was also surprised they answered the phone right away. They have 2 lines but they are always busy. Must be my lucky day. Okay....will let you all know what she tells me.

s,
~Royjean~
Unread 01-19-2004, 04:12 PM
Doctor's Appointment

Hi you all, just wanted to touch base with you and let you all know how my doctor's appointment went today. To the naked eye, nothing wrong down there. My GYN says no sign of blood in the vagina or further up inside. She did one swab after another and says nothing is there and if I was bleeding she would have found a sign of it. But I did learn something new. She told me unbeknowst (sp? is that a word??? )to doctors women that were surgically thrown into menopause seem to have more problems bladder-wise than women that go naturally. She says the walls and lining of the vagina thin out more rapidly plus they have more problems with prolapsed bladders. She told me that mine is trying to prolapse and the muscle tone down there is very poor which she has told me to double up on kegel exercises if I wasn't already doing them, which I wasn't. I peed in a cup which they tested and she said no sign of infection but I will be going tomorrow to an indepedent lab to have a urine culture test to rule out any other kind of urinary infection. She says the blood could have very easily come from my bladder prolapsing some against the walls of my vagina since they are all connected and with mine being thin could cause friction and make it bleed if I'm having such an urgency problem at the time. She gave me samples of estrogen cream plus a prescription for Detrol. If something shows up from the test tomorrow she will call but otherwise I'm to call her in two weeks and let her know how I'm making out on the Detrol and cream. If the Detrol helps, she says that might be what I need. So anyway.....just thought I'd let you all know how everything went today. I'll be sure to let you know the results as soon as I get them.

Again, thanks so much for listening.

s,
~Royjean~
Unread 01-20-2004, 09:19 PM
Hi RoyJean

I went in for a colonoscopy and was told about the diverticulits. It causes horrible pain when it flares up just on the left side. I still don't know what caused the vag bleeding but it has not happened since. I guess I need to see my gyn. I just hate going back because of all the past troubles. Ever since the surgery, I have a lot of pain on both sides especially during sex. So if anyone else has this problem let me know.

Thanks,
Shelly
Unread 01-21-2004, 07:40 AM
Hi Shelly

Well, if you have read what I posted then you know I had the bleeding too. You did read that, didn't you? When you have Diverticulitis, which I was diagnosed over a year ago, that's the only side it does flare up on....the left side. If your right side starts hurting, you may have other problems, sweetie. As I said in my earlier post from Monday, my GYN could not find where my bleeding was coming from. She says after her swabs showed nothing in the vagina, she's assumed it's from my urethra and I might have a urinary infection. I went yesterday for a urinary culture test so that's what I'm waiting on now. But I have to tell you, even on one dose of Detrol, I am already having some relief. I didn't have all the symptoms which warranted me taking Detrol, but the ones I was having and didn't even think they were bladder related, I am feeling better "down there." I have had trouble with sex ever since my hysterectomy. I've tried everything from KY Jelly to all kinds of lubricants and nothing helps. My GYN just prescribed Estrace to me Monday and told me to try that. She says it's an estgrogen cream for the vagina and may help me with dryness and other things. Well, I think you need to visit your GYN....I didn't want to either but I did and feel much relieved that nothing jumped out at her from the get go because in my mind I was positive something would be wrong. Take care now and keep us posted.

s,
~Royjean~
Unread 01-21-2004, 03:44 PM
Vaginal bleeding 2 1/2 years post

Hi! I too am new, and I also have persistant vaginal bleeding. I am going to the doctor tomorrow in fact. The first time, they thought it was my bladder, as I had a little blood in my urine. I even had to have a urologist look inside my bladder. Everything was fine. This past December, it happened again and it was a little "flap of skin" they said. I had a LEEP procedure to take it off. It was analyzed and was found to be a clump of tissue, not cancerous. Now it's happening again so I am going to the Dr. to find out why. I have a lot of scar tissue also that bothers me. Maybe that could be a problem? Nobody can ever seem to find the answer with me. It's been happening off and on for about a year now. Maybe others have had this too and can help us both!
Unread 01-21-2004, 03:57 PM
Hi Skirsch

When you say you had a flap of skin....where was this and did they say why you had it? Have you had a hysterectomy? I had a total one....I have nothing left....no cervix, ovaries or uterus and other than it being something more serious as to why I'm bleeding, I have no idea. When I was checked by my on Monday, she could find nothing wrong to the visible eye. Right now my GYN is tending to think the bleeding......not a lot, just pinkish spotting....isn't coming from my vagina but from my urethra, so I am waiting on the results of a urine culture test I had done yesterday to see if indeed I have an infection. If not, I have no idea what I'll do to pursue this. Right now I'm on Detrol because of pressure I've been feeling and the urgency to pee when I really don't have to. Take care now. I hope you find some answers too.

s,
~Royjean~
Unread 01-21-2004, 05:18 PM
Vaginal bleeding 2 1/2 years post

Hi Royjean!

After reading my post, I realized I never mentioned where the flap of skin was! It was on my vaginal wall. When they did the LEEP procedure, they removed the skin and cauterized the site at the same time. It was a really strange thing, but it was tested and found not cancerous or even pre-cancerous. I had a hysterectomy May 15, 2001. My uterus and cervix are gone but they left my ovaries because I was only 38. I was put on Estrace, not really as HRT, but because I kept having problems with drieness and vaginal infections. It has really helped me alot. I only take .05 mg, so it's not alot, but it was enough to do the trick for me! I've been fine up until this year when I started having vaginal bleeding, just pinkish stuff, but sometimes enough where I have to use a pantyliner. I'm going in tomorrow because it's started again. I also have pressure and feel like I have to pee. I've been checked numerous times for a bladder infection, but I never have one. I also have alot of scar tissue build up on the right side of my incision that gives me grief. I guess they can laser that off if it becomes too much of a nuisance. Sometimes I feel like my body is rotting away or something; my abdomen hurts
alot at times. I am so thankful I found this website. I 've been very fearful of what is wrong with me, but now I know I am not the only one. I'm still fearful, but I also feel joy inside. Thank you all for being here.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register