Severe Endometriosis & Bowel Resection | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Severe Endometriosis & Bowel Resection Severe Endometriosis & Bowel Resection

Unread 01-18-2004, 02:37 PM
Severe Endometriosis & Bowel Resection

Hi !!

Has anyone out there had a bowel resection because of severe endometriosis? I'm looking for someone that has had a resection with the rectal area being severely involved with endo. Just wondering the complexity of re-attaching the colon to the rectal area that is very involved with endo and was wondering if a temporary colostomy was necessary?

Thanks.

Anita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2004, 06:34 PM

Hi (((Anita))) I'm sorry you are having to consider another surgery. I didn't have endo, just a colon resection, but it did go pretty far down there. My impression is that as long as it's not done on an emergency basis (i.e. as long as there is extensive bowel prep done), it should be possible to avoid a colostomy, unless it's found that the rectum is so badly damaged that a leak free anastamosis can't be done. Hopefully that wouldn't be the case! I know mine was done with a GIA stapler so I have titanium staples where the connections were made.... this is supposed to minimize adhesion formation compared with using conventional sutures, plus make it easier to get a leak free seal.

Until someone comes along with personal experience, I thought you might get some information from these links:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...t_uids=9749501

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

http://www.obgyn.net/eago/art02.htm

http://www.obgyn.net/displaytranscri...niell_solmandi

http://www.pta.net.au/sgeg/endo/AdvRVEndo.htm

http://www.moise.co.kr/eng/endometriosis3.htm

http://www.ivf.com/galendo.html

http://www.ivf.com/article3.html

http://www.reproductivecenter.com/radical.html

http://www.drcook.com/adca5.html

http://www.endometriosistreatment.or...reprint15.html

I hope there is some information in there that helps. Are you definitely set to have the surgery? If so, when? My thoughts will be with you.

s,
-Linda
Unread 01-18-2004, 07:43 PM
Many Thanks ! ! Linda

Linda -

Thank you so much for all the links that you sent to me. Wow - I've been looking for this type of information for several weeks.
You are an angel from heaven - helping me through a very difficult time in my life.

My surgery is scheduled for this Thursday - Jan. 22.

I'm very stressed out about it, because it's the residual endo and adhesions that will make it very complicated for my surgeon to resolve the intestinal fistula's that developed after my hysterectomy.
And . . .wouldn't you know the past 3 weeks I've felt the best that I have in a long time - and sometimes I am second guessing having the surgery. I know that the fistula's are not resolved but going 3 weeks without my antibiotics is huge. (I've been on Cipro pretty much non-stop for more than a year and a half).

I'm probably feeling good due to the fact that I've really boosted my immune system for this surgery. Also, taking the probiotics is probably helping a great deal.

Linda - my sincere thanks again for the links.

You recently also gave me a great deal of info on your colectomy surgery - which is somewhat similiar to what I will be going through on Thursday.

Anita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-20-2004, 01:14 PM

Hi there!

I read your post with interest, since I, too, am dealing with an intestine that is adhered to my bladder. I keep putting off any exploration of the problem, though!

Is your surgeon a GYN-oncologist, or are you having a colo-rectal surgeon/and GYN-uro helping your doctor out? I understand your worry. My GYN-oncologist told me that it was a good thing that I'd elected to keep my cervix, since he felt that he couldn't "open up" the cul-de-sac between the vagina and rectum; it was fused shut with endo and scar tissue from an old ectopic pregnancy in that area. However, he did say that the oncologists were qualified to do any necessary bowel repairs as well. I signed a consent for colostomy (again -- first time was with the ectopic and have had to every single surgery since) but was relieved to wake up without one. They also had me do the (not fun ) bowel prep, which in my case extended to three days thanks to an allergic reaction to CT contrast right before the surgery.

This is likely to be a surgery for you where you won't want to be eating too much in the way of solids too early on; when I had the ectopic, I awoke with an N-G tube (another yuck, but necessary) and got nothing to eat for four days. They really did want to make sure that my bowel "rested" after invading it during the ectopic removal. You'll also be back on the antibiotics (usually a triple cocktail of Ampicillin -- if not penicillin allergic --, Gentamicin, and Flagyl). You might want to ask them if you can find some way to continue your probiotics in the hospital.

I hope it all goes well for you on Thursday, and that you have a good surgical team on your side to take care of anything that might crop up! You'll be in my thoughts and prayers...

Audrey
Unread 01-20-2004, 03:19 PM

Dear Anita,

I am so sorry you are having to deal with such a tough endo problem. I don't have any experience that could help. My endo has never been that bad... just persistant and annoying.

I hope your surgery goes really well with no complications. It sounds like the recovery could be challenging. Let us know how it is going as soon as you are up to posting.

((Linda)) and ((Audrey)) are awesome. They have lots of great research and information!!

Best wishes for a good outcome!!!

S

Sarah
Unread 01-21-2004, 09:34 AM
I had a bowel resection due to endo

I had it done about 8 years ago. I had severe endo with bowel involvement. I kept having rectal pain when going to the bathroom for years. It was discovered when I had surgery for fibroid tumors that were causing pain. I had 2 surgeries done before I finally had a bowel resection done. I don't know how much bowel they removed. It wasn't a pleasant experience for me. I spent about 4 days in the hospital and couldn't eat or drink for several days. I had to start out on liquid, than soft and low fat diet. It was a gynecologist who performed the surgery. I do have to say that the surgery did fix the problem. I am so much better after having the surgery. It takes time to recover but will be worth it. I wish you the best of luck with your surgery. Feel free to e-mail me if you want more information <admin. snipped email address for privacy/safety concerns>.
Unread 01-21-2004, 01:17 PM
Bowel Resection

To all - thanks for your posts and kind words as my surgery is tomorrow January 22nd.

((AUDREY)) -

Thanks for your post - I'm having a colo/rectal surgeon do the surgery and a urologist on standby also (he will also put the stents into my ureters). I am just terrified about ending up with a permanent colostomy. My cervix is also in there for good - that area (cul-de-sac) was completeted obliterated with endo upon my hysterectomy. I woke up with an NG tube after my hysterectomy as they cut into my colon because they couldn't decipher tissue because of all the endo.

Oh, thanks for mentioning the Flaygl cocktail- that made me very ill after my hsyterectomy and I will need to ask for something different (if possible).

Thanks.

Anita
Unread 01-21-2004, 01:42 PM

(((((Anita))))), I was worried about the same thing... please try to think positive, usually the colostomy is not necessary when you've done a proper bowel prep for them, and in the rare cases that it happens, it is almost always temporary. I know it is scary, it was the scariest thing for me too, but it didn't happen. I will be thinking of you tomorrow, holding your hand in there (well cyber wise anyway)... you can do this

The NG tube is a pain, yeah, but in the grand scheme of things I didn't think it was that bad. The hard thing was not being able to drink or eat for a couple of days... ask (((Audrey))), I was ravenous and parched! They did have these little pink sponge-on-a-stick dealies that they'd let me suck on to moisten my mouth. Makes me think, I am wondering out loud if they would let you chew Quench gum? Ever heard of it? They have it at camping stores, to keep the mouth moist while hiking when you can't carry water. Since the NG tube would take care of whatever saliva got down that way... might be worth calling to ask about? I am always asking my DRs these crazy questions... I'm sure they think I'm nuts most of the time but every once in a while they agree to something and we find a new way to lessen the discomfort factor

I don't remember what I told you already so I thought I would just mention a couple of more hints that helped me...

You will no doubt have a Foley, well, obviously you have tons of experience with that.

If they give you the option, you might ask for a central line. I had never had one before... I woke up with an IV in each hand and a central line in my neck, which I LOVED. It had a port in it where they could sneak in during the night and inject my Toradol while I was sleeping and not even wake me up! It didn't hurt at all to have it (they put it in while I was out, obviously) and it just felt a little strange coming out. The only downside is you can't shower with it in. But having it also enabled them to take the IV's out earlier and I hated those.

Pain meds... hmm... a very individual thing but I really liked what I did that time. In the castle I started out on Dilaudid IV and Dilaudid in the PCA, which I almost never pushed. The second day, they switched me to Toradol IV which I stayed on as long as I was there. I went home with a script for a bottle of oral Toradol - filled it, and it is still in my medicine cabinet - and one for Vioxx, which I took for ten days and got great relief from. My goal was to stay off the constipating narcotics and it worked! Yes there was pain, but it wasn't so bad I couldn't rest... being able to have bowel movements was worth it. I actually did better getting my bowel function back after that surgery than from the hyst - amazing. And (((Audrey's))) tip about continuing your probiotics is a good one. Ask your DR if you can keep those up as soon as you can ingest anything.

Will you be in about four nights or five? That is how long they kept me, but I got out earlier than they expected (they thought up to a week). The first day they probably won't let you out of bed, and they'll have those funky inflating boots on you. Enjoy them but don't get too attached to lying in bed! What helped me get out earlier is, as soon as I could, I was up and WALKING and WALKING. I did laps around the floor at least 2 or 3 times a day. I think the nurses got tired of seeing me walk by leaning on the trusty IV pole!

Sweetie, you can do this. We will all be pulling for you. Can someone post for you or email one of us to let us know how you are doing after the surgery? We'll be waiting for news!

Good luck and many s,
-Linda
Unread 01-21-2004, 02:09 PM
Thanks Linda !!!!

Linda -

Thanks so much for your VERY kind email and for all the information. You really gave me the boost that I needed. I almost cancelled this surgery about 6 times and drove my DH just about crazy.

I talked to my surgeon this morning - he is awesome and so very kind. I feel better talking to him also.

They expect that I will need to be in the hospital for a week. I do alot of walking outdoors and expect that I will do the same as you in the hospital as it got me out sooner after my hysterectomy.

MANY SINCERE THANKS TO YOU LINDA ! ! ! ! You have helped me along on this very rough (fistula) road. (Along with Louise)

You are an angel ! ! !

Anita
Unread 01-21-2004, 10:13 PM

I'm sending many (((Hugs))) & prayers your way ((Anita))) Pls know your Sisters will be with you tomorrow in spirit, holding your hand all the way

I also wanted to share with you that my ((Mom)) underwent a Bowel Resection prior to ((Linda's)), hers was due to severe Diverticulitis also....
(((Mom's))) biggest fear was waking up with a colostomy as well...fortunately she did not require one! Even should they have to put one in place, they are usually temp as Linda also pointed out.
Good Luck with everything ((Anita))

(((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register