nausea | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-18-2004, 04:06 PM
nausea

I was wondering if feeling nauseated for a few days is typical and if I should be eating something different? I have no dietary restrictions. I ate some soft cooked eggs for lunch. I'm going to rest now but if anyone has suggestions on what to eat after you get home, that would be wonderful. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2004, 04:28 PM
nausea

Hi. I had my surgery on a Fri afternoon and was somewhat nauseus the next day, but by Sun I was throwing up and had only had a liquid diet up until right before I got sick when they upgraded my breakfast to a semi-liquid diet. So back on the full liquid diet I went and got "the pharmacy" of anti-nauseau medicine that day at the hospital (according to the nurse). That seemed to help.

I would recomment liquids, tea, juice, that kind of thing. Stay away from dairy products. I am glad I didn't have that problem after I got home, but whenever I am sick to my stomach at home I take Dramimine immediately. My mom always gave that to me and it works for me really well.

Take care.
Unread 01-18-2004, 04:50 PM
nausea

Hi there,

One piece of advise I got from a friend that had Hysterectomy years ago was "do not eat eggs". She said it had something to do with whatever. ALl I know is I just had my first one in quiche last night, (9weeks). While in the castle, I did get very nauseated after my first real meal. They gave me a shot and I was good to go. Although, after that it was back to a very light diet for a few more days. Just listen to your body and eat a few light meals when you feel up to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2004, 06:16 PM
nausea

Oh gosh...

I'm sorry you are having to deal with nausea. I had nausea for 2+ weeks after my hysterectomy. I didn't think it was ever going to end. I hope yours passes real soon.

I would stick with broth, jello & tea for a bit and then graduate up from there.

Hope you get to feeling better real soon!

Unread 01-18-2004, 07:51 PM
nausea

Although I threw up right after surgery for a few hours I haven't felt too bad since. I did eat an omlet in the hospital (maybe that was bad......)

I occassionally will fell a bit under the weather and not sure if I'm up to eating but know I need to eat so then I will eat jello, crackers and apple sauce. Anything I know won't be too hard on my tummy and easy to bring back up if necessary.

I hope your feeling better soon!

Jenn
Unread 01-18-2004, 07:57 PM
nausea

are you on any pain med? what is it? i cannot take any thing narcotic.(loritabs,darviset,percoset)i had to take 3 ibuprofen but that did the trick and i was not sick anymore.i didn't eat much but only because i had no appetite.(the one and only time)hope you feel better soon.
Unread 01-18-2004, 08:13 PM
nausea

Hi there,

I was sick the second night in the hospital. Got sick once, they put Phenergan in my i.v. got sick again and they put Reglan which worked for me and stopped nausea and vomiting right away. I was on Percocet at that time so from that point on, they gave me a Reglan tablet with my Percosets and I never felt sick again. They even sent me home with an RX for both so I had no problems at all at home either. Since you mentioned eggs, funny thing was, all I had ( and had a craving for) was eggs and toast for the first 3 days. I continued the Reglan until I quit the Percocet and never felt nauseated again.

You might consider a call to the doctor for an anti-nausea if it doesn't get better. Sure do hope it gets better soon though!
Unread 01-18-2004, 10:10 PM
Nausea

I love you gals! Thank you for your wonderful suggestions- I am certainly not in the mood for eating eggs in a very long time. I slept for all afternoon and am beiing very cautious about the foods. Although, I did have about 1 tablespoon of homemade lasagna- amazingly it went down well with no after affects. in reading the responses I suspect the eggs might have a little to do with it The meds I take are Naprosyn 1 in the am and 1 in the pm. The other is vicodin 1 to 2 every 4 hours though I am only taking 1 every 4 hours. I've heard sometimes vicodin can make you sick and I haven't heard about naprosyn. Does anyone know about these meds? If the nausea continues, I will definitely call my doc.
Unread 01-19-2004, 08:12 AM
nausea

Hi Alohagal,

I am sure that everyone is different so this may not help a lot.

When I was on the Percocet, as I said, it made me nauseated so they gave me a Reglan to take each time also. When I got off the Percocet, I still had a headache (even felt it with the Percocet) that I had since my trip to the Castle. It had gone on for 8 days before I finally called the doctor. Told him I was totally off Percocet but Tylenol and Motrin were doing nothing for it. He prescribed the Vicoden which I took with no trouble at all. Sorry I don't know anything about the naprosyn. But I'm sure somebody out there does that can share their experiences.
Unread 01-19-2004, 11:01 AM
nausea

I also had nausea the first week or two. Nurse at the doc office said it was probably from the Vicodin. A friend suggested ginger tea so DH ran out and bought some (Liptons Ginger Twist) and it really helped. I also made sure to eat a little something when I took the vicodin. I kept those individual servings of jello, pudding and applesauce in the fridge and was usually able to eat a little of that befor taking the pain pills. Hope this helps s

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register