Any other military sisters here? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any other military sisters here? Any other military sisters here?

Unread 01-20-2004, 11:26 PM
Any other military sisters here?

I'm in the Air Force, and was just wondering if there are any sisters that are in the service, or are vets?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2004, 08:02 AM

Hi Liz,

I spent 5 years in the Navy many, many years ago. I joined in 1976 and got out in 1981. I would have stayed in for at least 20 and retired. But my Husband did not like being a "dependent" husband. I was an Aviation Structural Mechanic, Safety Equipment.

How are you doing being in the military and being sick? Do they treat you all right? I hope they don't make you go back to work too soon.

I hope things go well for you. I am very proud of our young women and men who serve our country. Take care of yourself. I would love to know how you are doing.

Sharon
Unread 01-21-2004, 08:49 AM

I went back to work after 6 weeks. I'm NOT ready to be back to work, but really-I don't think it matters to them!
The "military" aspect hasn't gone too well either. I was notified BY MAIL in a HAND WRITTEN statement that I will have to meet a Medical Evaluation Board (they can kick me out!) Wow, how professional is that?
Anyways, I'm not going to continue to rant. I'm a recruiter, and need to stay POSITIVE about the military, right? LOL! Hard to do when every time I turn around, it's something negative!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2004, 10:35 AM

Hi again,

It just sounds wrong that they could kick you out over cancer. They would at least have to take care of your medical needs wouldn't they? How long have you been in? Do you consider the military to be your career?

Good luck and take care,
Sharon
Unread 01-22-2004, 12:15 AM

I know this sounds all wishy washy and stuff, but this really has been an eye opening experience.
I have been in for 10 years now. Very successful (if I may say so myself!)
However, my family comes first. I have put my husband and children behind my job in the past. "Service Before Self" is one of the Air Force's core values after all. Now, I would rather stay home and raise my children and be broke. Rather be proud of my family than any award!!! Make sense?

Yes, they can kick me out. Very unlikely, but they can. However, they will have to give me disability, and health care for any medical condition I have incurred while on active duty!
Unread 01-22-2004, 12:18 AM

OH, the only leg they have to stand on to kick me out is that I will not be world wide qualified for deployments for the next two years. After all, I need checkups every three months. The military cannot afford to carry dead weight (non world wide qualified personnel)
Unread 01-22-2004, 08:16 AM

Hi Liz,

You don't sound wishy washy to me at all. My perspective changed a great deal after being diagnosed with cancer also. I went so far as to quit my job. I was not treated well by the people I worked with, so I decided after surviving cancer, I did not need to be depressed every day by going there. Life was too short. So I truly do understand your change in priorities. Can you somehow resign from the Air Force?

Hey! You have served your country for 10 years. If it is time to take care of your family and yourself, you should do it!

Take care
Sharon
Unread 01-22-2004, 09:21 AM

I can't resign. HOWEVER, I can make sure that ALL of my OTHER medical conditions get raised to the Medical Board. I'm really hoping they won't keep me. Well, whatever happens happens. I wish I could just give two weeks notice though!
Unread 01-27-2004, 12:04 AM
I served in the Navy from 1981 to 1987

Just wanted to reply that I am medically retired at 100% via the VA. My hysterectomy has service related ties relating to the birth of my son in 1984. My son was forcefully ripped from me with forceps leaving me with crippling pain and irregular menstral problems ever since.

Due to my lack of proper insurance and the VA in Oklahoma not having proper GYN doctors in this state, I patiently delayed my surgery as long as I could. But last March an HMO doctor refused to refer me to a GYN doctor and insisted that I exhaust all other sources...ie: birthcontrol pills to control the excess bleeding and pain.

After 10 days, my body reacted with severe clotting to my lower extremities. A single thrombus traveled to my right kidney and lead to heaving blood accumulating into my kidney and bladder. The urologist tried to place a stent in my ureater. The stent retracted causing renal failure and I nearly died in ICU on April 5, 2003.

Since that time, I had to endure another surgery for another stent, 6 Urinary tract infections and the loss of most of my right kidney. I've also been on Coumadin blood thinners since then. From that point two large cyst like tumors began growin from both my right and left ovaries.

And this lead to my SAH on Jan 12, 2004. The GYN oncologist removed the cysts, my left ovary, fallopian tube and my uterus which was affected with Endometriosos. Today marks my 2nd week post op...the surgical complication of pneumonia is gone...I'm still very sore and tender. Anyway..I feel like I've been through the mill these last 20 years....

Betty

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register