constipation- what can I do to avoid it? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

constipation- what can I do to avoid it? constipation- what can I do to avoid it?

Unread 01-22-2004, 04:42 PM
constipation- what can I do to avoid it?

After all three of my pregancies( one section with gereral A.) I suffered terribly from constipation. I know this time it will be awlful to be constipated with tons of internal stitches to strain.

Some people have mentioned a clean-out before surgery. Would this help me? I eat high fiber and drink lots of water but I don't think that will be enough. I would rather take something before surgery to give me a good start for after. I know this is a little gross but I'm sure it can be a problem for many after surgery.

I was given atasol 30's after my section and later found out it can cause constipation so I plan to avoid that. Are there any other drugs I should avoid?

I'll appreciate all and any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2004, 04:47 PM

my doctor says prune juice and stool softeners! I haven't had my surgery yet,but I'm all jammed up in there with a uterine prolapse,cysto and recto. I'm already having troubles.
I'm more concerned about passing urine without having to self cath! She tells me that isn't a big deal either if necessary. Good luck. This is a wonderful website.
Unread 01-22-2004, 04:53 PM

most pain medication causes some constipation and I'm sure that you are going to want good pain medication at first. The other thing to get the body functioning again is to walk as much as possible even when you don't feel that good. Try to walk as much as you can tolerate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2004, 05:01 PM

Check with your dr....I got stool softeners and they help. Also prune juice mixed with pineapple juice helps. lots and lots of water, along with fruit, high fiber veggies, etc. Pain meds cause constipation too.

freckles_23: I had surgery on Jan 5 for exactly what you have. I've never had trouble with constipation but you will have a lot of internal stitches with your repair work. I had to self cath for two weeks after surgery and really, it's not a big deal. I'm finally finished with that but the ole bladder is still not quite working properly. My dr thought I had a UTI but that came back negative. The nurse said the bladder is probably still bruised and swollen some and it will just take time to "get back in the swing".

Two and a half weeks after surgery, I feel fabulous. Not having that bulge down there is worth a million. I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat.
s to you both for your upcoming surgery.

Unread 01-22-2004, 05:13 PM

Freckles and Sparklies,

I think we are all in the same club. I have 3rd degree uterine prolapse and a bladder prob., also after my last bout of constipation, I think I have a bowel prob too. I guess the doc will notice it when he does the repair. Sparklies, I guess I'll be asking you lots of questions and Freckles I hope our surgeries go okay. I can't wait to feel good again. My doc says I probably don't even realize how much my prolapse is causing me discomfort and that many of his patients are surprised at how good they feel once all healed up.

Best wishes to you both!

Ps. sparklies how can I get the cute smilies?
Unread 01-22-2004, 05:36 PM

Hi sunrisenl,
To get the smilies, go down to a little box near the bottom of the page that says: forum rules. You'll see a column on the right that says: smilies are on. Click on that and it will take you to a big page of the cutest little guys you've ever seen.

Feel free to email or pm me with any questions you might have. I'll be glad to help.

Blessings,
Unread 01-25-2004, 11:13 AM

Thanks Sparklies

Those smilies are the cutest

I've read that a lot of ladies are asked to have only fluids the day before surgery. I think I will try that. I won't get to talk to my doctor during the pre adm. but maybe the nurse will know.I am really, really scared that I will get really constipated. I had a bout in November that was sooooo painful and I know with stitches I won't be able to cope with that.

Anyone else with some ideas to avoid constipation after surgery?
Unread 01-25-2004, 12:23 PM

I think one of the best pieces of advice that I read on here prior to my surgery was to eat lightly for a few days before surgery. I took that to heart and had mainly soups and cranapple juice for 3 days before my surgery.

The day of my surgery I had broth & jello for dinner after the anesthesia wore off. The next morning it was more of the same. When lunch was brough around, well, it was a repeat. Here I was walking laps around the halls, and the nurses had ordered pizza. You can imagine how good that sounded to me! But they wouldn't change me to a regular diet until I passed gas. I was on a mission for pizza at this point, so up I got and I walked and walked and walked. Nothing. By 6 that evening, I was determined to not have anymore broth, so the nurse used a suppository. Forty-five minutes later my SO was on the phone ordering pizza (thank you Pizza Hut!) which they delivered to my room!

But, you know what they brought me for breakfast the next day? Broth & jello. After an adamant "I'm on a regular diet now," they quickly exchanged it for French toast and bacon.

Although I'm not on a light diet at home, I am drinking lots of water and apple juice. I think that, for me, it's probably the best thing to do while my body is healing.
Unread 01-26-2004, 09:18 AM
hi

hello there I had the same problem and what helped me the best was the stool softeners and buy some enamas ask your doctor first if you can take them after you have surgery but they saved me big time . also the best thing is chex mulit grain cereal it taste really good and it helps with that problem well .

I wish you the best I did do an enema before surgery I wasnt expecting it but they wanted me to do one so I did this was at the hospital .

best wishes sarah cranberry juice and popcorn has lots of fiber all so

tah 29 yrs old last year was surgery
Unread 01-26-2004, 11:20 AM

Hi

As has already been mentioned the main cause of constipation is the post op narcotics. What is or isn't in your system before surgery isn't going to cause more or less constipation.

Under anesthesia the systems of the body are not functioning. It takes a few days to get everything up and running normally again. The bowels also may be handled during surgery and they don't like that.
  Quote:
I've read that a lot of ladies are asked to have only fluids the day before surgery. I think I will try that
It is very important to follow your DR's orders regarding ANY pre op bowel prep. Unless you're told to go on a liquid diet before surgery DON'T. Your body needs the nourishment. Each patient is different and DR's have different preferences. The main reason for bowel prep is some DR's prefer the bowel to be empty so it can be handled easier, especially if they are going to have to work on the bowels.

All you can do to try to prevent or lessen constipation after surgery (and this is post op, pre op doesn't help) is drink water, juice, easily digested food, stool softeners (if they are ok'd by the DR). I was given stool softeners 3 times/day after surgery, while in the hospital.

Remember: only do the bowel prep you may be instructed to do - no more, no less.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register