HPV-dysplasia and all that | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

HPV-dysplasia and all that HPV-dysplasia and all that

Unread 01-23-2004, 07:21 AM
HPV-dysplasia and all that

HPV is a pretty remarkable virus. It hides itself next to the cell's DNA. then it can fool the cells into strange behaviors. Since I have persistent CIN II, and nothing the doctor does knocks it out, I have been learning all I can about this adversary. Mine is deep in. We tried the watchful wait first, then cryo, then LEEP. Next on the agenda is cone biopsy, scheduled for 2/3. My doc hopes to get a good picture of exactly what is going on. After a year and a half of waiting, and scrapings, etc., I hope so. I'm nervous, but trying to view the condition as a teacher.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2004, 08:25 AM

Hi CJ,

I agree with you, HPV is a very interesting critter! Good luck with the cone, I hope that's all the treatment that you need, as many times it is.

Along with some others here, I take folic acid. I don't know if you've tried it yet but a few studies have shown that it might protect against dysplasia. And try not to stress too much-it's another immune-buster. Dontcha love how you get to deal with dysplasia and then you're not supposed to stress over it?

Good luck!

Beth
Unread 01-23-2004, 08:44 AM

Get this

My husband left for Iraq in July. In late July i thought i had gotten poison ivy so i went to the er. He took one look at it and said "Nope, thats SHINGLES". i said "huh?" :confuse:

So fast forward a week and I'm at my PCM and I need to be released to go back to work (its contagious). Well imagine my surprise when he said that i would be out of work for at least another week. Then he proceeds to tell me that STRESS brings it out. I'm like "doc, dude, my car payments due, my husband is in iraq, i'm out of work and you want me to work on stress levels?"
Then he says "Ive been looking through your record (new doc) and didnt see anything on paps, how bout we schedule you for one" Before you knew it i was dealing with dyslplasia, CIN III, colposcolpy, cone knife cones and then being told I had cancer and that i needed a hysterectomy. Oh and that i need to quit smoking. Yup, ill get right on that doc.

So much for working on stress levels, eh? Its hard keeping stress levels down with normal life. Its 10x as hard trying to keep it down when you know your health depends on it. It seems like everyone KNOWS that you "fragile" and they want to see what your breaking point is. Mainly my 13 yo.

Just ramblin"
Jen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2004, 11:44 AM
BadHairDay

Jen:
You are in my thoughts and prayers. I so agree with you--quit smoking after all this? I can only imagine what it must be like to walk through such tribulations and have your husband in Iraq. Compound worries! Hope all is going well for you and that you are enjoying a beautiful sunny Sunday!
Cassie
Unread 01-25-2004, 11:46 AM

Beth:
Thank you for the response. It is so helpful to be able to talk to other women who are walking this road. Since first signing on and then hearing two immediate replies, I have been feeling a calm assurance. My friends and husband are a big help, and so is this sorority!
Cassie
Unread 01-25-2004, 01:00 PM
HPV dysplasia

I've been reading all the posts of all of you who are walking this road, and learning a lot. I am worried, my dysplasia, though only at CIN 2, is persistent. After the LEEP and the corresponding wait, then colposcopy, biopsy, and Pap, my doctor found deep endocervical positive margins. She is concentrating on one focal area as we go in for next week's cone. I asked about just having a hysterectomy to be finally done with it (after a year and a half of procedures and waiting etc) I was thinking to just take it all out. So I asked my doctor about the hysterectomy and she said we have to have the cone because if it turns out I have cancer, the type of hysterectomy would be different. So even though nothing has come back saying cancer so far, with its persistence and deep margins we can't rule that out.

What does one focal area mean? It sounds to me like she may be thinking that one area has more than CIN 2. Oh, yeah, while she said the lab didn't report the HPV strain, it does show a high risk for cancer.
Unread 01-25-2004, 03:36 PM

Hi Again CJ,

This site is definitely a great place for information and support, that is for sure! This experience didn't seem as bad somehow knowing that there were many women who'd made the trip before me, and came out just fine.

As for your doc concentrating on one focal area, she may just want to make extra sure to sample from the area where the abnormal cells were detected. One thing is for sure--after the cone you will have a much better idea of what's going on in your cervix. Then, as your doctor said, you can choose the treatment that is best for you.

I wish you the best with your biopsy, and let us know how it goes. Take good care of yourself,

Beth
Unread 01-25-2004, 06:27 PM

today was a good day

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register