What can I do about killer migraines???? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What can I do about killer migraines???? What can I do about killer migraines????

Unread 01-23-2004, 11:37 AM
What can I do about killer migraines????

Hello ladies, hope you are all well. I wish I was.

I'm 46 and I had a TAH in February 2003 because I had severe endo, multiple fibroids and hemehorragic (?) cysts in the womb. Op went well but it's afterwards.

I went on various HRT's but couldn't take it because it gave me severe migraines, so I stopped. Then came the hot flushes/nightsweats. I got used to that because it was better than the migraines. But about 6 months ago I started getting the migraines again (without the HRT) and my doctor put me on Effexor and Chlonidine - she said that will help the migraines and hot flushes, but unfortunately it hasn't. I'm also on Progesterone cream (Progest).

It's just getting me down. I get about 2 a month and boy are they bad ones. My work is suffering (legal secretary) and the firm I work for are getting a bit fed up because they keep asking me "when is all this going to end?". They said I had 3 months off with the hysterectomy and now this. I don't know what to say to them, plus they are so fed up with me that they don't pay me when I'm off with one. When I was on HRT and getting them I stopped because I was off at least 4 times a month, now that I don't take HRT I still get them. They seem to think "I'm pulling a fast one" (that's what us English say when they think we are telling lies). I don't know what to do to get rid of these migraines. I was off again today with one and it is just going - a bit fuzzy headed through the painkillers, but I know that when I go in to work tomorrow I will be called in to HR and made to feel even worse.

Does anyone have any ideas about how I can deal with these migraines and how I can get rid of them? I thought I tried everything, but if anyone has any new ideas, I would really appreciate your help.

I'm sorry if I'm going on but I feel everyone is fed up with me (even my friends) because I'm always ill. Everyone thought I would be fine once I had the operation, but now I have this.

Thanks once again and look forward to hearing from you.

Sandra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2004, 11:49 AM

Hi! I used to get migraines BAD at my period. I used Fiorinal without codine! It worked great! Hope you can find something...migraines suck!
Unread 01-23-2004, 11:51 AM

Hi Sandra,

Boy can I relate to migraines. I had them for years. I am not a doctor and so I will tell you what I ended up doing. I was nursing my daughter so could not take imitrix (spelling) or anything like that so I caved in and went to a holistic chiropractor and I have been migraine free since. Also, regarding your hot flashes, have you investigated Black Cohosh and soy? I hope you get some relief soon.

Peace,
whisperingjessi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2004, 12:21 PM

I take immetrix too. I have had one yesterday morning and today. I am going in to gp to see if it is blood pressure related too. I am only 2 and a bit from surgery. Bookfairy

Sorry one of the HR people don't get mirgraine the whole approach would be different.

Oh try to isolate your diet. Maybe you have a food trigger.
Unread 01-23-2004, 01:03 PM

for 18 years I have suffered with migraines so bad that a few years ago they thought I was going to have a stroke or had an aneurism (2 times within 6 months). I have taken feoricet, feorinal, imitrex (both pills and injections (don't like the injections)).

I am lucky in one sense though, I too had endo and would get cycle related migraines that I thought were going to kill me. Since my surgery I have only had one and took a BC powder and in 20 minutes it was gone. If I feel a headache coming on and take it as soon as possible it kills it before it turns into a migraine. Goody's Powders work just as well, it helps to drink something carbonated to flush the powder down.

Some people can't take powders and I used to be like that but now I can and it saves me from having to keep prescription drugs on hand which I have plenty of otherwise for pain.

Bookfairy's idea of food triggers is right on it, the weather can bring them on, stress, and food and especially hormones. It helps to keep a log, there are many foods, spices, nuts and stuff that are triggers, when you get one try to remember what you ate at least 12 hours prior and maybe that will help!

good luck!!!

jody
Unread 01-23-2004, 02:30 PM

I too suffer from migraines. They are so Horrible!!! My dr gave me some zomig samples and they are wonderful. I have taken both kinds. The kind that melts in your mouth and it does the best I have found. It does not matter how bad the migraine is it stops it when you take this med. I have also taken the pill you have to swallow. They both work but the one that melts in your mouth is much faster working.

You might ask your dr about getting some samples for this kind of med or some other kind to see which works best for you.

The other ladies are right with the migraines being triggered by something from food, to stress to even just smells. I was having them with my period and now since i have had my hyst i am still having them but not as many i do not think.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing and what they can do for you. Migraines are so painful and no one understands unless they have had a true blown migraine.

Heather
Unread 01-23-2004, 03:42 PM

Just thought I'd let you know the old blood pressure was fine. We had a nice talk and I now know I can take more immetrix in an hour if the first does not work.

Chocolate Chip Cookies trigger me. Got to tell you what a hardship. Something you love becoming something that hurt so much, and most of all it would happen maybe 1 out of 4 times. I had to think of chocolate as another way to shoot myself in the foot. Hurts don't do it.

I know how you feel. It isn't something anyone can see. The upset stomach, the fuzzy eyes, the need to lay down and just shut off the lights with a cold cloth on your head. Thinking this one might kill you and then thinking what if it doesn't?

Go back to doc and ask for some help. You deserve it.

Triggers can be processed foods like bacon etc, milk preservatives in these little containers they leave on the tables in restaurants, red wine and chocolate. These are the biggest offenders. For me smells also do it. Bookfairy
Unread 01-23-2004, 03:44 PM

I too have had migraines for years. I have been on Fioricet for 4 years and love it. I pray you find relief soon.

Peggy

TVH 1-8-04~ Endo, Adenomyosis, cysts, adhesions
Unread 01-23-2004, 05:20 PM
Phensic!!

Sandra,

I used to have all my co-workers who visited you across the pond bring me back some Phensic (pre-Excedrine Migraine days). They worked soooo well!!! (took them with a cup of coffee...the extra caffine helped so much!) I took them to kill a migraine (after 3 tablets and the coffee, much relief) and also took them when my neck would start to stiffen up, as I learned that was the early signs of a migraine for me.

I too have long time migraines. I was about 1 a week for awhile there. My biggest triggers were hormonal, and still are perfumes (most), some candles, bacon, ham, hotdogs, wines, eucalypus, some flowers, hard aged cheeses, sinus infections would trigger it and screwing up my sleeping schedule.

Since my TAH/BSO - I haven't had a single migraine! Knock-on-wood!! I'm on the estraderm 0.05 patch and it has leveled the hormones out soooo nicely (no night sweats or hot flashes either).

I give you my tea and sympathy until you find what helps. Hang in there girlfriend! Keep on your doctor until you find what helps keep the hormones level, and then you can easily avoid the other triggers.

the cat maid
Unread 01-23-2004, 11:59 PM

get yourself a good neurologist....some seizure medicines are approved (atleast here in the states) to control migraine headaches...a neurologist would be the type of dr you'd need to see to get diagnosed and treated......and like several other posters mentioned, Fiorinal #3 work well for treating a migraine.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register